WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alternate Trail Thru the White Mountains

Due to the hassle of places to camp on the AT in the Whites, number of people, "work to stay" being unreliable at times, it was suggested to take an alternate route through the White Mountains. Any one do this? Suggested trails/routes once you leave the 100 MW and enter New Hampshire? I am planning to leave Katahdin August 1st of 2016 and hike to the NY/CT border. Thanks!

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I wouldn't skip the Whites if you can avoid it. They are well worth the trouble and camping is not nearly as hard as it sounds. That said, keep in mind that when you exit the 100MW you are at the town of Monson and still quite far from the White Mountains. Where you would conceivably try to get around is at Gorham. Once inside the WMNF there are numerous trails you could string together to avoid the AT and many of them quite beautiful (so I've heard - I've never personally hiked most of them). Some here can probably recommend an itinerary but I would also highly recommend you pick up a map (if I recall there are two) of the park. You can order them online from the AMC. http://amcstore.outdoors.org/white-m...rproof-map-set. These will save your bacon at some confusing trailheads where there are no blazes, only cairns and the signs might have blown down, been vandalized/stolen or otherwise damaged. The Whites are most definitely not like the rest of the AT where you could just get by following the blazes and using one of the AT guides. Using the map you could piece together a pretty decent itinerary that utilizes the campsites/lean-tos and avoids the huts.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by astafford View Post
    Due to the hassle of places to camp on the AT in the Whites, number of people, "work to stay" being unreliable at times, it was suggested to take an alternate route through the White Mountains.
    By whom?

If they have ever been to the area and still suggested such nonsense, they are not your friend.

Sever all ties immediately and forever!

I am 100% serious.

If it is possible you misunderstood them, and they were actually only suggesting you bypass the huts (bypass as in don't sleep at them) while sticking to the AT, that is all together different.

The AT is routed along the most dramatic and stunning, albeit steep and rugged, trails in the Whites. Don't miss it!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

There are some wonderful trails to hike in the Whites. I've been back a few times for some extended nights and some day hikes without using the AT, although some did cross it or share it for a bit.

I do not regret staying on the AT on a thru hike. I never stayed at a hut, never had a desire to WORK for stay. I did pay for a few camp sites/shelter and I did make use of the left over baked items sold at the huts.

It's not that hard or inconvenient to do the AT thru the whites and camp legally. If anything it frees you up to do your own mileage, and not a hut to hut pace.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

It would be possible to take a valley route to by-pass the Presidentials by using the Wild river and Dry river trails with some interconnecting link trails. It would start a few miles east on RT 2 in Shelburne from the AT crossing. It would come out in Crawford Notch, a little south of the AT crossing there. Looks like a total of 43 miles, which is not much longer then the AT high route.

It would be a very different type of hike. That's a wild area which doesn't get a whole lot of traffic or trail maintenance. It would also be possible to drop into the Pemi wilderness and by-pass the Franconia ridge walk. I may have to try this hike next fall myself. I've looked down into those water sheds many times, but haven't walked through them.

"Exploring New Hampshire's White Mountains" ISBN-13: 978-09785932-4-7 Is my detailed "go to" reference map for this area.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Yes, you could bypass the AT and Presidentials through the Whites using a bunch of other linked up trails like the Dry River, Wilderness and others. BUT . . .

#1 Whoever suggested you skip hiking the AT section through the Whites needs professional help. Okay, joking aside, this section is probably in most people's minds the crown jewel of the entire AT.

#1 (also) You need a map / guide that shows shelters and tent sites. Either get the AMC Guide to the Whites or at minimum The Nat. Geo map for the Presidentials.

The only really difficult section in terms of finding places to camp at a reasonable day's hike distance apart is the section between the The Perch and Nauman Tentsite, which is roughly 14-15 miles. This hike can be done in a (long) day by a fit hiker, but many hikers will bite the bullet here for this reason and stay at Lake of the Clouds (Crowds) Hut. Many thru-hikers will make this their one and only hut stay. Even so, you will pay ($7 - $10) for most established tent sites run by AMC, RMC, etc. in the Whites. You can camp on your own (below treeline) off many of the side trails and the AT, but you must follow the backcountry rules http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5363715.pdf

If you choose to try to do the section from The Perch to Nauman in one day, you absolutely MUST have a good weather window and mild winds (relatively speaking).

Day 1: Start early from Pinkham Notch (or for a big head start stay the night before at Osgood Tentsite) and hike to summits of Mts. Madison and Adams, then hike down to The Perch. Arrive early as possible to get a site. Approximately 9 miles from Pinkham to The Perch, uphill all the way until the end.
    Day 2: Start at first light or before (given you will be into late August / early Sept already), summit Mt. Jefferson (optional) and then Mt. Washington. Check out the summit house and museum at Mt. Washington, the Cog Railway, etc, but do not waste time - daylight is getting short already at the end of summer.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your hike.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 10-22-2015 at 22:04.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

The AT is the path that connects the highest and most scenic ridgelines in the White Mountains. The AMC huts are interspersed with regular lean-tos and tent platforms for most of the route, except for the Franconia Ridge and the Presidential traverse. The Presi traverse, as others have noted, is the toughest nut to crack if you absolutely don't want to stay at an AMC hut. There are fees for some of these, eg. Liberty Springs tent site and Guyot shelter.

The White Mountains are covered by hundreds if not thousands of miles of trails, and most of these are shown in the AMC maps. You could certainly bypass the AT entirely but you'd be missing some of the most spectacular views on the whole AT.

Images

My plan, if I choose to continue on with my personal adventure, will be to hike the Long Trail to Canada instead of the AT through NH and Maine. Have completed the AT from Springer to Manchester Center, VT. Have not hiked any of the AT for several years now, since I decided I wasn't interested in spending time in NH. I've changed my hiking focus to the JMT, Colorado Trail, and others. Due to convenience and location, I MAY decide to finish the east with the Long Trail completion - would offer a very appropriate end to my section thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    My plan, if I choose to continue on with my personal adventure, will be to hike the Long Trail to Canada instead of the AT through NH and Maine.
    The northern 100 miles of the Long Trail is the "Readers Digest" version of the NH and Maine AT. All the hard parts and none of the easy parts.

The Whites of NH are spectacular - on a good day. On a bad day you don't want to be up there. This year we had a lot of good days. Next year, who knows? The NH AT is the only segment I have not thru hiked. I have been on much of it, but not all of it and not in one go. Which is ironic considering that I live in the shadow of Mt Adams. The reason for this is exactly what the OP is worried about. Too many people trying to use too limited resources. I may break down and do the Hut to Hut tourist hike some day just to get it over with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    My plan, if I choose to continue on with my personal adventure, will be to hike the Long Trail to Canada instead of the AT through NH and Maine. Have completed the AT from Springer to Manchester Center, VT. Have not hiked any of the AT for several years now, since I decided I wasn't interested in spending time in NH. I've changed my hiking focus to the JMT, Colorado Trail, and others. Due to convenience and location, I MAY decide to finish the east with the Long Trail completion - would offer a very appropriate end to my section thus far.
    Okay...? But given this is in the Straight Forward forum, it's not exactly an alternate plan around the White Mountains for the OP's Katahdin to NY section hike.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by astafford View Post
    Due to the hassle of places to camp on the AT in the Whites, number of people, "work to stay" being unreliable at times, it was suggested to take an alternate route through the White Mountains. Any one do this? Suggested trails/routes once you leave the 100 MW and enter New Hampshire? I am planning to leave Katahdin August 1st of 2016 and hike to the NY/CT border. Thanks!
    By far my favorite portion of the AT. If there's anywhere I'd really encourage being purist, its the White Mountains. Treat yourself to a stay at one of the huts. Stay at Imp Shelter when you enter the Carter range SOBO, wake up early and get over the Wildcats. If you can push to Osgood Campsite or stealth camp you'll be ready to enter the Presidentials and have a great hike over Madison and Washington to Lakes of the Clouds Hut. Shoot for work-for-stay or spend your stipend here (tip: have cash.) This will get you accustomed to the ascents and descents of the Whites, as well as the hut experience. From there you can make your choice as to whether you prefer huts or stealth camping. No real advantage to blue blazing. The Whites are best tackled on the white blaze.

A stealth camping guide to the Whites:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=86526

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post

A stealth camping guide to the Whites:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=86526
    As you can see from the above list, there aren't very many "stealth" sites and most are less then desirable as they are dry camps and off the trail. The Madison hut Star lake option and the Edmands col suggestions are totally illegal and a hanging offense to camp there. Also, most of these sites are only big enough for a couple of tents so you can't count on finding space there late in the day. Late August and early September there will be a LOT of thru hikers looking for places to stay.

Check out this guy for loads of info on hiking in the NH area:

http://sectionhiker.com/

++ New Posts ++