WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

There's no place to camp near Hwy 105? If this trip happens, it will be next summer when my grandson finishes school. So, snow days dependent. We can come in from the BRP, but 105 is more convenient from Boone.
    Pondering and planning. Thanks y'all. Hope I didn't hijack too much.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

The Scout Trail head at mile post 299.5 on the parkway is at the Boones Fork parking area and is safe and free. The kiosk at the trail head has the sign in sheets as well as maps. The Profile trailhead on hwy 105 has the same. http://www.grandfather.com/wp-conten.../Trail-map.pdf It is first come camping you might get lucky everything has been full the last couple of weekends. East side trails:The most camp sites are on the Nuwati trail and good water. The Daniel boone camp site on the camp trail has the only water on the scout trail. The Briar patch and Hi Balsam shelter are dry. West Side profile trail has shanty spring for water above the profile camp site which is limited for camping. Remember the miles on the Grandfather trail are more like Linville Gorge miles not AT miles. Takes about 2 hours if you are a strong hiker just to get to the top and going across the grandfather trail is really tough with the load you are going to be carrying and no water. State Park Office # for camp site availability is 828-963-9522 and I would suggest for weather look at the Beach Mountain site of boone weather because it is the closest to the temps you will experience. http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain# The rain today an tomorrow will bring down what leaves are left above the parkway above 3500 ft. I was in Wilson's Creek last weekend and Linville Gorge this weekend and the colors were great. You will be looking down on them. Enjoy your hike!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    We can come in from the BRP, but 105 is more convenient from Boone.

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Wayne,
    That depends on where in Boone you depart from. It can be an easy run over to the BRP/US 321/221 junction and an easy 8 miles to the Boone Fork trailhead. Crossing Boone and going out NC 105 can be congested, especially in the late afternoon.

AO

Quote Originally Posted by Alleghanian Orogeny View Post
    Wayne,
    That depends on where in Boone you depart from. It can be an easy run over to the BRP/US 321/221 junction and an easy 8 miles to the Boone Fork trailhead. Crossing Boone and going out NC 105 can be congested, especially in the late afternoon.

AO
    How well I know. Grid Lock in Boone. I reckon we can do either approach route. Too early to tell right now. I'm just glad to learn that there are trails conveniently located near where we will be staying.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its been a couple years since I walked Grandfather so NC SP may have improved the trails since my visit. I went from Boone Fork to just past Hi-Balsam Shelter until I turned due to lightning strikes. There were some spots that were either missing ladders or ropes.

But my opinion Boone Fork is the best parking area and most accessible trailhead. There are some streamside camping within a mile along the Nuwati. Profile is the other trailhead but its a long steep climb to the first campsite.

Depending on your final pack wait, the Cragway requires some tricky and tight step ups. But the views are worthy. The Scout trail near Boone Fork is very wooded; no views but its the easiest to climb if its dry. Muddy if its wet.

The FlatRock/Boone site is probably the biggest camping area on that side of the mountain. Then its switchback hell (several never ending switchbacks) to Briar Patch and a steep rock scramble to the ridgeline. HiBalsam is small but the view is nice if clear.

Expect some good frost and cold wet rain. The trails can get very wet fast.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++