WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Lighten the load!

Hey guys/gals!

Not new to hiking at all, been doing it my whole life but have never taken it as serious as I have the last two years. It has consumed me completely and the wife loves it...not! Anyways, I want to lighten things up and figured this would be a good place to ask questions. I am, within reason, willing to spend the money to get good gear! I am not worried about being ultralight just want to lighten up what I have now! Currently a US Army surplus ALICE Pack with a Canadian Army Issue sleeping bag as for a tent I am using a Eureka sun runner 2. I am thinking of getting a Osprey Volt 60 with a REI quarter dome and a North Face Furnace -7C bag. What do you guys think? Would like to keep my big three around 10lbs no more! Input?

Canadian_Hiker
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

How heavy is the volt? I've been using the REI Flash 62. It's only 3 pounds, hold all my gear for weekend trips with room to spare, and currently on sale.

Images

It is just a hair over 3lbs as well! I am from Canada so trying to stay away from ordering from the US because the shipping and exchange sucks! Lol...

Canadian_Hiker

Images

Nothing wrong with those pieces of equipment. However, you could get your base weight to half that with cottage industry gear and some more cash. Tarptent Notch, Zpacks Arc Haul, and any one of several excellent 20-F down bags from Western Mountaineering, Montbell, or Marmot. Your list is fairly traditional, while this list is pretty mainstream thru-hiker lightweight, not even close to bleeding edge ultralight.

Like a lot of hikers I went through a lot of gear over the years, from big heavy traditional stuff to "light" gear I could get at REI, etc., and I spent a lot of money. If you are getting obsessed with it, you might as well go for the good stuff now..
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

As bigcranky pointed out, if you want to get "serious" as you stated, you would want to consider the cottage companies. Cutting edge UL gear won't be available from regular outfitters. However if you want to stick to shopping in Canada, you may be stuck as the cottage manufacturers don't typically distribute outside their own web sites.

Can you get lighter gear than what you have on your list from MEC?
    My hodge podge of antique and current gear (63 liter pack, 4 season tent, 20 degree bag, Xtherm large mattress & Exped pillow) weighs 10 pounds 10 ounces. I could replace my tent with a TarpTent Protrail for under $250 USD and knock 2+ pounds off of my total. Lightweight is easy and reasonably priced. UL is stupid expensive.
    Integral Designs used to make light shelters. Have you checked them out? Arc'Teryx?
    Get quotes from ULA for a Circuit pack and the TarpTent of your choice. You might be surprised.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Lightweight is easy and reasonably priced. UL is stupid expensive.
    So true. I'd suggest making your list of gear and work on replacing the heaviest ones within reason. Then eliminate the not really necessary stuff. Last work very hard at not including extra stuff at the last minute. And finally make sure you don't carry unnecessary extra food.

Maybe look into an alcohol stove if you don't already have one? My red bull stove and toaks 550 pot with everything but the fuel itself is multiple times lighter then my pocket rocket or wind boiler.

If you do end up purchasing on this side of the boarder your money will be well spent with ULA Equipment for your backpack and Enlightened Equipment for a quilt which you'll love(I went from a furnace to ee quilt)

As long as your out there that's all that matters for the win!

I put all my gear on a spreadsheet, with weights.

Then I put put alternate gear selections, with weights and prices. Have a column for "bang for the buck" - weight savings per dollar. Helps me select and prioritize future purchases.

The spreadsheet also helped me identify those optional things that weigh more than I want to carry but have trouble not sticking in at the last moment when I'm packing to go... added bonus.

A ULA pack, Tarptent, and Western Mountaineering sleeping bag have in my opinion, the best value in backpacking gear. They all have a fantastic track record and should serve you with a reliable lightweight system for years without breaking the bank. No not necessarily the cheapest, but a worthwhile investment.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    A ULA pack, Tarptent, and Western Mountaineering sleeping bag have in my opinion, the best value in backpacking gear. They all have a fantastic track record and should serve you with a reliable lightweight system for years without breaking the bank. No not necessarily the cheapest, but a worthwhile investment.
    All 3 brands definitely qualify as buy quality once.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Even if REI is the place you will be buying there are much lighter alternatives...
    Igneo sleeping bag 1.13lb
    Osprey Exos 58
    Quarter dome?... my friend just took his back after 2 trips out, didn't like it. I think there are a whole bunch of alternatives in the tent variety.

You might think pack size is too small but the compressed size of the sleeping bag and smaller tent will give you more room in the bag.

Good luck on your quest for gear.
    Even with all the fancy cottage stuff I have now I still really like the REI Igneo bag. I'm at a hair over 5lbs for pack, pad, bag, & tent.$$$

Garlic
    Images

You can often save a few bucks with Marmot bags. Decent quality and they tend to go on sale. I got my excellent Helium 15 for around US$250. Same thing with Gossamer Gear packs--get on their mailing list and wait for deals. My current GG pack cost about $80.

Good suggestions above about quality and "bang for buck." The Tarptent Protrail is only about $210 now, I think, and in my experience with its predecessor the Contrail, one of the best values in shelters in terms of cost per night--they last a long time and I'm now under $1 per night with the Contrail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Love the suggestions on food using miles. Interesting.

My calcs for food are generally about 2500 calories per day on walks of about 5 days or less. Longer hikes, once hunger kicks in I bump that up. Foods vary but I generally use the rule of at least 100 calories per ounce, preferably more.

You listed your big three but didn't list all the other items. Those ounces become pounds so look there as well, e.g. a 1 pound bowie knife may not be required. Look to dual use almost every item in your pack. If it's something that you only use for one purpose look at at it closely.

Another place to weight is extra clothes. Be damp and stinky when walking and dry and warm when sleeping. No need for extra shirts, pants, underwear, etc...at least IMHO.

Finally, be safe and have fun. It's a challenge to cut weight but never allow yourself to be put in a position that the lack of gear puts you in danger. Fun is subjective. Personally I like a sit pad and am willing to hump the 2 oz that it weighs. Also like to drink my coffee out of a cup rather than my pot. Small pleasures!

Enjoy!

Having gone through an analogous transition not that long ago, here are my thoughts:
    - the Osprey Volt is a good, affordable, transition pack; it carries well and if you're buying at REI return would be easy, plus it adjusts well (both height and belt). I would get the 60L and not the 75L. I still have mine and lend it out all the time. Consider some of the other Osprey ones (the new suspensions are great), or if you're willing to take the plunge, go to ULA, Gossamer Gear, Mountain Laurel Designs or Six Moon Designs for mid-range (expense) packs.

- figure out the rest of your big 3 (tent/bag/pad) next
    - tent - Tarptent is good as a start and doesn't break the bank. I also have an REI Passage 2 that gets a lot of use, but it's 5+lbs vs my spacious TT Rainshadow's 2.5lbs. This assumes you're using trekking poles as tent poles. An alternative is hammocking, which I find super comfortable and affordable but requires good insulation beneath/around the quilt.
    - sleeping bag/quilt - Western Mountaineering is good, cottage manufacturers (Enlightened Equipment/MLD/Hammock Gear/UGQ/et al.) make good affordable quilts which are great once you get used to them.
    - don't skimp on comfort on the pad, but can still do this under $100 if you go inflatable or under $30 if you go closed cell. Again, that can be a really dumb $70 to save if you end up uncomfortable.
    - figure out the rest of your gear with an eye towards (a) not packing, (b) packing small/light quantities and gear.
    - revisit your pack after you have done this.

There are lots of guides out there - sectionhiker, andrew skurka, and others have said a lot about how to lighten your load.

Good luck!

++ New Posts ++