Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Food resupply between Campo and Warner Springs

Does anyone know what's open right now in terms of food resupply? I think Laguna CG maybe. Anything else?
    Thanks@!

The Malt Shop just outside Lake Morena camp site would be open. Also the Laguna Mountain Lodge store. You could send a food parcel to the Laguna Mountain Lodge ($5 fee) or the Post Office next door. That would be enough food to get you to Warner Springs. If not you could hitch hike into Julian, there are plenty of stores there. The only problem I see now is the water supply. I sectioned hiked there in September and it was dry, dry, dry.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

The grocery store in Julian, the Julian Market, appears to be open according to Google. That's about 75 miles north of Campo and I never heard of anyone having trouble making the hitch from Scissors Crossing, there or back. I certainly didn't have trouble in 2013. There's also pie and other goodies in Julian. I highly recommend it as a stop for anyone, thru- or section-hikers (if you're going past Warner Springs you don't even need to send yourself resupply to WS if you plan to grocery shop in Julian and then thumb into Idyllwild from the Paradise Cafe).
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Does anyone know what's open right now in terms of food resupply? I think Laguna CG maybe. Anything else?
    Thanks@!
    Dave at Laguna mountain sports is an outfitter on Laguna. He carries some snack stuff if he is open.
    dont carry a debit or credit card in there though! He has an impressive selection of "gotta haves"

+1 on the malt shop. Don't order the big hamburger unless you are hungry!

Thanks guys. I thought there'd be something around Laguna, but didn't have the specifics. I don't really want to do any hitchhiking, so I'll skip Julian unless I absolutely have to.
    But since I posted, I went shopping and I have 6 days worth of stuff in an ursack, so I'll probably be okay. Just planning to go from Campo to Warner Springs. ..

Images

Thanks guys. I thought there'd be something around Laguna, but didn't have the specifics. I don't really want to do any hitchhiking, so I'll skip Julian unless I absolutely have to.
    But since I posted, I went shopping and I have 6 days worth of stuff in an ursack, so I'll probably be okay. Just planning to go from Campo to Warner Springs. ..
    I would never carry six days out of Campo. With an easy reapply at Moreno and Laguna you will be starting with one foot tied behind your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto:2017359

I would never carry six days out of Campo. With an easy reapply at Moreno and Laguna you will be starting with one foot tied behind your back.
    Hey, it's only 5 pounds. And it'll get lighter every day...

Images

Are you seriously hiking on less than a pound of food per day?

Quote Originally Posted by Malto:2017682
    Are you seriously hiking on less than a pound of food per day?
    I have those single-serving mountain house dehydrated foil pouch things for breakfast and dinner, so, obviously it weighs more when you add the water. Then I have 5 pouches of jerky abd maybe 6 or 7 granola bars. That's in the ursack, a b d 3 or 4 more bars in my pocket.

I'll see how I'm doing when I get to laguna. I'll probably pig out when I get there. From there, I still have 60 miles. Anything open that you know of on the trail (or slightly off) in that 60 mile stretch?

So will you!

I resupplied at the Mt Laguna store (mail drop $5) and then Warner Springs (purchased at community center). The Mt Laguna PO has short hours so sending to the store might be worth it. But I had a pretty unfriendly reception there and some others did as well. FWIW. The small store near Morena Lake campground is perfectly fine for dinner and picking up some food for the next day. If I were to start at Campo again, I would carry just snacks/lunch for the first day, eat dinner at the Morena Lake store, buy some lunch/snacks for the next day, and pick up a box at the Mt Laguna PO to get me to Warner Springs. You want to start out as light as possible from Campo.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee:2017786
    You want to start out as light as possible from Campo.
    Why? You mean because Moreno is close, right?

Why? You mean because Moreno is close, right?
    There are usually no totally reliable water sources between Campo and Lake Morena (20 miles) and most hikers started with around 5 liters of water. So you have a lot of water to carry for the day. And it is the first day on the trail so best to make life easy starting out.

Got it, thks.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    So will you!
    hahaha
    Sounds like a great weight loss routine!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    There are usually no totally reliable water sources between Campo and Lake Morena (20 miles) and most hikers started with around 5 liters of water. So you have a lot of water to carry for the day. And it is the first day on the trail so best to make life easy starting out.
    Good point. Not a great idea to carry only dehydrated meals for this stretch as you will need all that water for your own hydration!

The store in Lake Morena has decent food, and some resupply items. You could ship a box.

The Pine House Café in Mt Laguna is excellent. The store in Mt Laguna has a few resupply items. You SHOULD ship a box.

The hitch into Scissors Crossing is easy. There might be a trail angel there waiting to pick someone up. This might be one of the easiest hitches on the whole trail. There are many very good restaurants in Scissors Crossing. You can do a full resupply at the grocery store.

Also, Kitchen Creek is a very reliable water source between Boulder Oaks and Mt Laguna.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    The store in Mt Laguna has a few resupply items. You SHOULD ship a box.
    Minor tip: If you ship a box to the Mt Laguna Post Office the hours are very limited (I believe three hours per day) but it is free to pick up. It is a normal PO. If you ship a box to the Mt Laguna Store, it costs $5 to pick up but they are open longer hours, closing at 5pm.

I shipped to the store. I won't again. Not because of the $5 but because the guy was unfriendly. There was a pile of hiker boxes stacked up haphazardly against a wall behind a glass counter. He asked me to identify my box. So I walked behind the glass counter to look. NO, YOU CAN'T GO THERE! he yelled. LOOK FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTER. Well, for one thing I don't like being yelled at. For another thing, my prescription sunglasses were in my pack outside (because they don't allow packs in). I couldn't see the names on the boxes. Finally I did get my box. But the dude was a jerk. A younger guy was there who was nicer and eventually rung up my small snack purchase and I paid for the box.

One experience does not a pattern make but I'm sending to the PO next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch! View Post
    There are many very good restaurants in Scissors Crossing.
    I assume you mean Julian? There is nothing at Scissors Crossing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++