WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

As a side story. I met an older middle aged man at the grocery store some time ago. Somehow the conversation turned to a car accident he had had. Maybe he had a dialysis fistula I noticed. So the accident. They pumped 15 units or more of blood thru this man. He drained the blood bank. It came to a decision of mismatched blood or no blood at all. If you were the Dr. what would you have done? He lived, instead of being grateful, he sued. and won.
    The rules about malpractice are very clear about following standard practice. Unfortunately the jury system we have eliminates anyone who knows anything about the area concerned. Most malpractice suits are BS. IMHO

A better stove was a big one. I tried numerous superlight alcohol stoves and finally gave up on them. Bring on the Snowpeak autostrike canister stove! Worth every ounce.

Another vote for the Sawyer Squeeze over the mini. I also added an insulated coffee mug (3.5oz) instead of using my pot for everything. I like to have oatmeal and coffee simultaneously in the morning so i boil up enough for both, mix instant coffee in the mug and eat the oatmeal from the pot.

I often carry a handgun in bear country. I know many dont agree with this but i do. Ive never fired it on a trip and hope i never have to. Its more for peace of mind on solo trips than anything. For awhile i brought my UL pistol (m&p shield) but decided if im carrying a hunk of steel it may as well be worth it, so i often bring a Glock .357 sig at almost 2lbs.

For me one of the best thing about lightening all my gear is that I can afford to add back a few luxuries if i want. Sometimes ill bring camp shoes, a jetboil instead of alc stove, or baslayer top and bottom just for sleeping. Whichever seems right at the time but never all of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Added weight back in several areas but still probably around 9 lb base weight.

On my PCT hike I eliminated everything I possibly could to get as light as I could. Then eventually I added back:

- Town clothes because it's really hard to do laundry if you have nothing but a bivy sack to wrap around you.
    - Rain gear. I survived a lot of cold wet conditions with sub-optimal (or completely forgotten) rain gear and decided it's no fun. Now I don't need town clothes.
    - A book (a real one made of paper) or a musical instrument.

Recently I added a few more things:
    - Blow-up pad now (not a neo-air) that's actually quite light.
    - Canister stove now that all this drought makes alcohol stoves a bad idea. It's something I bought in an army surplus store so I'm sure it's not the lightest out there.
    - Pack cover. I'm tired of plastic bag pack covers or having a wet pack with a liner. We'll see how it goes.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

A Micro-Rocket instead of an alcohol stove, more robust sleep pad.

Recently picked up a slightly heavier (and wider, and warmer) sleeping pad to the tune of about 9oz. Also have been toying with the idea of a pillow (clothes sack is marginal at best for me).
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    Recently picked up a slightly heavier (and wider, and warmer) sleeping pad to the tune of about 9oz. Also have been toying with the idea of a pillow (clothes sack is marginal at best for me).
    That's the thing about going UL — there shouldn't be enough stuff left over for a pillow!

I have the Exped UL Pillow medium, with an elastic strap threaded through those little tabs so it stays in place on the air mat. Love that thing!

I found it easy but a little expensive to get to 8.5lbs but I'm sitting at 10-11lbs for more comfort and luxury. I love town clothes, camp shoes and options for layering. I'm very comfortable and safe at 10-11lbs.

I added a 40lb cinderblock because it's the best camp stoll I've ever used. Totally worth the weight. Also a large caliber handgun for bears, with 40 rounds of extra ammo in case there are a lot of bears.

Quote Originally Posted by rainydaykid View Post
    I added a 40lb cinderblock because it's the best camp stoll I've ever used. Totally worth the weight. Also a large caliber handgun for bears, with 40 rounds of extra ammo in case there are a lot of bears.

Best b carfull ! Cinder blocks can cause hemorrhoids.

More like hernias, eh?!

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    More like hernias, eh?!

Which is worse ? ;0)

Titanium Spoon is back. The dairyqueen lexan spoon is lighter but it takes longer to eat with because it holds less food.
    2 oz sit pad is back instead of the non-padded piece of tyvek
    no more quilt, back to the regular bag. Tired of cold drafts.

I see a few folks in this thread have gone from a zpack tent to something a lil heavier... Why is that?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a zpack duplex and now I'm worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1976 View Post
    I see a few folks in this thread have gone from a zpack tent to something a lil heavier... Why is that?

I looked back through the thread and I think it's 1 or 2 who are going back to double-wall from single-wall tents. I'm assuming it's due to condensation issues but that has not been a problem with my Duplex. Maybe a bigger problem someplace like PNW where it's very wet much of the year.

I bought a Solplex and sent it back mainly because I didn't like the way it setup with just one door, but I did have a small issue with condensation. I went back to my TarpTent Notch for a year and a half and now I am back with a Duplex. I like the double entry doors much better and it has way better ventilation. I wouldn't be worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1976 View Post

Don't be concerned about the Duplex. It is nothing short of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Don't be concerned about the Duplex. It is nothing short of awesome.
    +1

The Duplex and the Arc Blast are without question the most 'revolutionary' pieces of gear I've ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    +1

The Duplex and the Arc Blast are without question the most 'revolutionary' pieces of gear I've ever owned.
    Apple will be sending you a bill for the use of that word shortly...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++