WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Apple will be sending you a bill for the use of that word shortly...
    Dang, I thought that was only for 'three-peat'

All roads lead to the duplex!

I am considering adding a ZPacks Shoulder Pouch to each shoulder strap on my HMG Black Summit Pack.

I like the little water bottles available in most stores.

I have never liked the water bladders. I would rather use that for gravity filtration, at the campsite.

I have had that platy holster, I liked, worn around my waist.

There is an adapter and bite valve hose kit available, if I cannot easily remove the water bottle to drink while hiking.

I am open to suggestions: I understand others use only cordage or elastic to hold the water bottle on the shoulder strap.

I have also added a 7 oz YoYo collapsible hiking stick I found on Amazon.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-06-2016 at 09:02.

I'll have to check, but I'm not sure the Zpacks shoulder pouch can accommodate a common 16.9 oz (0.5 liter) water bottle. I'm fairly sure it can't, or at least not easily so.

One that I would recommend is the MLD shoulder strap water bottle holder that I know for a fact can handle 20 oz Gatorade bottles, mainly because I use 2 of them with a MLD Core pack. There's no reason they shouldn't work with a HMG pack. I personally prefer the Gatorade bottles because they are MUCH more robust than typical 16.9 oz water bottles and have a larger cap that makes them much easier to fill.

I am also not a fan of bladders ('hydration systems') for several reasons, but to each his own on that topic!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-06-2016 at 23:22.

I'm reading folks mentioning their base wts. This means nothing to me without the details. My base wt is rarely ever the same on a LD hike throughout and usually not from hike to hike so I wonder what most of you mean by mentioning your base wts ignoring the all significant details.

One thought bringing it back to the OP's question. It's not so much what wt I've added back in as if it's a piece of gear, clothing, food, etc. There are those who approach going lighter wt as if it's the be all end all top priority across the board. Everything done or carried has to be the lightest wt. I'm not of that group as an ULer. I recognize the UL style as providing possible options. For example, if I'm hauling crampons, ice axe, ropes, etc, raising the haul wt, UL food preparing knowledge is something I can fall back on to help balance out to a lower haul wt. OR, maybe logistically I can balance out that extra snow gear by utilizing sound UL water carrying logistics or resupply more frequently both offering to drop consumable wt. It's a ying and yang.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1976 View Post
    I see a few folks in this thread have gone from a zpack tent to something a lil heavier... Why is that?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a zpack duplex and now I'm worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I looked back through the thread and I think it's 1 or 2 who are going back to double-wall from single-wall tents. I'm assuming it's due to condensation issues but that has not been a problem with my Duplex. Maybe a bigger problem someplace like PNW where it's very wet much of the year.
    I think that answer misses the question. There could be several other possible reasons for ditching the Nirvana, as some make it sound, Duplex. Durability, features, initial cost/replacement cost, suitability of the Duplex under some scenarios such as might be experienced in alpine or heavy exposure/heavy winds, heavy wind driven constant rain, etc

As to why those who stopped using a Duplex did so, I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons but I don't recall reading them.

Totally agree, the Duplex is not the answer for all environments and budgets. I don't use it for winter (silnylon Duomid for that) and IMO it is totally inadequate for alpine environments. Also probably not the best choice for deserts with wind-blown sand. Not really a 2-person tent IMO, so there's that. Perfect for me and my dog, but for two people it's going to be a squeeze.

For typical East Coast weather and terrain, however, it just happens to 'check a lot of boxes' for a lot of people who are willing to cough up the coin for it and to wait (currently) 6 weeks.

And for those who never miss an opportunity to opine that it's overpriced, well the market begs to differ.

Quoting myself: >>>I'll have to check, but I'm not sure the Zpacks shoulder pouch can accommodate a common 16.9 oz (0.5 liter) water bottle. I'm fairly sure it can't, or at least not easily so.

Never mind. They both fit. 16.9oz spring water left, 20oz Gatorade right. Also, the cuben fiber polyester hybrid and the Dyneema grid pouches are the same size.
    zpacks water bottle pouch comparison_edited-1.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-07-2016 at 11:51.

I just added a Big Sky Food Pouch Cozy (1.5 oz.). I'm also thinking of switching over to the Sawyer Squeeze (from the Sawyer Mini).

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    I am considering adding a ZPacks Shoulder Pouch to each shoulder strap on my HMG Black Summit Pack.

I like the little water bottles available in most stores.

I have never liked the water bladders. I would rather use that for gravity filtration, at the campsite.

I have had that platy holster, I liked, worn around my waist.

There is an adapter and bite valve hose kit available, if I cannot easily remove the water bottle to drink while hiking.

I am open to suggestions: I understand others use only cordage or elastic to hold the water bottle on the shoulder strap.

I have also added a 7 oz YoYo collapsible hiking stick I found on Amazon.
    For what it's worth, I've been using cordage and elastic to hold mine for a couple of years. Very easy to pop a bottle on and off the strap, and it's extremely stable (enough so that it didn't bother me a bit running with it). If pictures would be helpful, I'd be glad to provide. Nothing but elastic cord, thin static cord, and a mitten hook. Two quick knots to tie for the static line, one for the elastic. You can also transfer the cord to any other reasonably sized bottle in a few seconds without untying anything.

I think pictures would be welcome.

Every effort I made, the water bottle flops around.

Hopefully these help. I'd be glad to take more. It's just a girth hitch over the mitten hook, then a loop around the bottle, tied back into itself with a taut line hitch. That makes it easy to slide the loop larger or smaller as needed for different bottle sizes. On the bottom, the elastic is just looped through an opening in the pack strap and tied to itself.
    To put the bottle on, clip the mitten hook to the pack strap. With the bottle hanging down, slide the elastic over the bottom. That way the static line is fully extended and the elastic is just keeping it from bouncing around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As the OP, I just got a full size xtherm max. Never going back to other lighter options. Warm and comfy, all then time.

Recently went from a three tine to larger four tine titanium spork and let my hair grow out. The additional 3 grams(.11 oz) is keeping my SUL mind awake at night. What was I thinking? Guess I'm going to eat one less cashew and trim the excess body hair from now on to balance out the wt increase. Every gram counts ya know.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++