WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Ultralighters, where did you eventually ADD weight back to your pack?

I thought this would be of good discussion, and I'm bored today.

Over the evolution of your pack, and pushing the limits of going lighter and lighter, where did you eventually put a heavier item back in your pack for 3 season use?

For example, I use to carry the tiny little thin titanium shepherds stakes, and after them pulling out once or twice, I now have a few shepherds hooks and a few v stakes for more holding power. However I added about .3oz back to my pack!

One more example, I went back to the traditional sawyer filter over the mini. The mini's inferior flow rate and need of frequent back flush was getting to me.

Like you, I switched to the full size Sawyer. Also added a .3? ounce carbon filter since I don't trust the water in NJ with all the chemicals.

Switched from titanium shepherds stakes to MSR mini groundhogs (those thin titanium stakes just suck, always bend, and don't hold in any sort of sandy soil). And for the tent went from a smaller 1-person tent (TT Moment) to a 1+person tent (TT Rainbow) for superior space. When I rock the hammock I switched to stronger zing-it tarp guylines from the weaker Zline which broke on me several times. Also added a more substantial pillow for comfort.

Upgraded from the not-that-bright eLite+ to an actual real headlamp. And that's all I can think off off the top of my head...think I added some stuff to my first aid kit too.

Registered Offender

Like so many others, I simply got to the point where a little extra weight had NO effect (e.g., going from 7-8lbs to 9-10lbs). Most this extra mass came in the form of some reading material/girly magazines, the larger Sawyer filter (as you mention), and perhaps a small harmonica or my favorite inflatable doll. While it had been a challenge to get my gear below ten pounds, I found that the challenge of backpacking with a couple more pounds was utterly indecipherable.

When I reduce weight now, I do so simply because I generally like doing with LESS. I find it puts me in closer contact to the world outside, though I still carry what I need and some of what I don't.

I wouldn't say that I was ever ultralight, but I am solidly lightweight. Anyway, I went back to a heavier sleeping pad. I am a side sleeper and I need the extra cushion under my hips.

After trying 4 different sporks and spoons, I eventually added .2 ounces to my pack for a long handled spoon. Totally worth it.

Back on the (all in one) sawyer as well... Mini for weekends.

Women's Neo-air up to the large.

If it ain't a speed hike... I carry what I want.
    Even better these days- I'm finding better design's to get more from less.

Going SUL is always worth it IMO. Once you know your limits you can throttle back a little and nearly double your pleasure while still maintaining a very light load, which triples your pleasure while you travel.

The happiest folks I know are those who took a flying leap off the super light cliff then picked up a few things on the climb back up.

Sawyer Mini back to Squeeze
    Single wall ZPacks tent back to double wall TarpTent Notch
    Added more to first aid kit/toiletries like leukotape and body glide
    Added crocs for camp shoes for certain trips after not bringing them for years

Considering getting a slightly heavier pack (currently ZPacks ArcBlast, thinking about ArcHaul) for longer trips between resupply. Wanted an Osprey but they don't fit me correctly.

Probably a few more minor things but those are the big ones.

Images

Seems to be popular, I did the larger Sawyer thing too when not using Aqua Mira instead (still my first choice when water is fairly clear). I also occasionally carry my DSLR camera, though it is actually very light for a DSLR (Canon SL1 w/ 18-55 zoom & soft case, 23 ounces). On longer trips >4-5 days, I also now carry a phone recharger battery, I think about 7 ounces, give me 3 extra full charges, which is important to me because I read 2-3 hours a day.

I agree, 9 pounds vs. 11 pounds of base weight makes very little difference. 11 vs. 13 though makes a difference and 15 (base) becomes fairly heavy for me. It's an asymptotic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Sawyer Mini back to Squeeze
    Single wall ZPacks tent back to double wall TarpTent Notch
    Added more to first aid kit/toiletries like leukotape and body glide
    Added crocs for camp shoes for certain trips after not bringing them for years

Considering getting a slightly heavier pack (currently ZPacks ArcBlast, thinking about ArcHaul) for longer trips between resupply. Wanted an Osprey but they don't fit me correctly.

Probably a few more minor things but those are the big ones.
    I'm actually considering trying a heavier pack again. Right now my pack weighs 29oz. I was pretty much sold on dropping a boat load of cash on an Arc Blast when the moment was right. However, now I'm considering a ULA circuit for reasons you mentioned. More flexibility and support for being able to stay out longer comfortably. I'm still thinking I can be under my ten pound mark with a Circuit. After comparing the Ohm 2.0 and the circuit, I don't see how you would notice the extra 10ounces of the circuit because what you gain in a frame. The only thing I don't like is the roll top closure, I prefer drawstring.

Journal Entries

I replaced my empty Bic with a full new one.

Really: 1 groundhog stake (for critical guy line point), & canister stove (sometimes)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I'm actually considering trying a heavier pack again. Right now my pack weighs 29oz. I was pretty much sold on dropping a boat load of cash on an Arc Blast when the moment was right. However, now I'm considering a ULA circuit for reasons you mentioned. More flexibility and support for being able to stay out longer comfortably. I'm still thinking I can be under my ten pound mark with a Circuit. After comparing the Ohm 2.0 and the circuit, I don't see how you would notice the extra 10ounces of the circuit because what you gain in a frame. The only thing I don't like is the roll top closure, I prefer drawstring.
    I personally don't like the back panel on the ULA packs after using the ArcBlast. I sweat a lot so the mesh back panel of the ArcBlast is very nice in getting air flow. I tried a ULA on at Mountain Crossings one day and it had almost no space. Other than that I like the packs.

I've never considered that I've bottomed out to my lowest wt kit possible. But, I'm not of the opinion that I have to or necessarily want to. Seems so long ago but I've gotten off that UL/SUL merry-go-round always chasing every new piece of wee bit lighter gear. I still try to keep current in what's available though and I still occasionally bite on new lighter wt/lower volume purchases. When heading into the UL deep end of the pool it's always wise to intimately grasp gear is really the easier part of the UL/SUL equation. Too often those on the UL/SUL Kit Nirvana Quest fail to grasp that. Hence, we observe "the happiest folks I know are those who took a flying leap off the super light cliff then picked up a few things on the climb back up."

My kits are never static though. There's a L/UL/SUL kit for each situation. Knowing I'm to the point now where on my LD hikes me being me doing what I do I can LD hike with 1/2 -2/3 the size volume and wt I typically do. My goto ULA CDT backpack has become overly voluminous for most normal FOR ME 3 season LD hikes and even some winter hikes.

I add things back into my kit occasionally but I feel it doesn't always mean I'm adding wt or volume. I tend to have the mindset I can balance the added wt back in here if I eliminate or trim wt and volume there and there and/or change logistics or tactics. So, to answer the question, if any category of my kit I've increased wt and volume, and hence nutrition, NOT just calories either, it is by adding in more food and often specifically fresh live foods like appropriate produce but still OVERALL my kit wt and volume has still been on the slight decrease and I have an advanced UL kit. BTW, I had my food wt and nutrition dialed down, with lots of nitpicking forethought, and some hassles like expense, to satisfy my needs at 20 -22 oz/day 3200-3800 cal/day (roughly 160-170 cal/oz). I can often work this but I'm in town food binging/gorging every 4 days every 90-130 miles which I feel FOR ME is not healthy - ALL in the name of saving wt. Backpacking does NOT have to be that complicated.

There were some things I just couldn't leave off.

Fortunately, I found lighter better versions of other items and dual-use I hadn't anticipated (oh, this works). For example, my Bug Baffler headnet works as a mesh back in the elastic laces on the back of my backpack, one titanium Vargo crevasse tent stake works as one piton support at a boulder for my tarp, the Hammock Gear cuben fiber Diamond Asym Tarp works with the Grand Truck Nano 7 hammock and as a ground tarp as well.

I also chose a HMG Black Summit backpack for the more narrow S-curve shoulder straps with a wider attachment point at the top for broader shoulders.

These selections let me have my separate Trim fingernail clippers and toenail scissors and Snow Peak Hybrid Spatula and Spork other people might consider luxuries for hiking only a few days at a time. But, importantly, I have my full head cover mask to help keep warm if the weather turns cold. It helps by prewarming in-breath.

All this, in a 5 lb. backpack and under 10 lbs "skin out".

I have started an "options" list, for swapping out items without exceeding my carry goals.

I avoid add-ons.

I would rather carry 10+ lbs. food and water, for a comfortable 20 lb. max carry in the backpack and have the stride for hiking the distance.
    Last edited by Connie; 11-10-2015 at 16:08.

Went from tarptent products back to a conventional double walled tent (MSR Hubba NX-1). Gave up on frameless packs and use my Osprey Exos 46 just about all the time instead. Super comfortable and no more sweaty back.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As with many people who "seen the light", I made the mistake that thinking going ultralight (generally recognized as sub-10lbs) is the right for every type of trip, environment, season or activity.

Obviously I never thought that during winter, over the years I've done trips with friends, my wife, more "social" backpacking trips (more camping, less hiking) and so on.

I use different packs, stoves and shelters depending on the trip, time of the year and desired objectives.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I just keep adding back the weight....... the latest an umbrella. From my lowest weight, I went to a better headlamp, real rain gear, more comfortable sleeping mat. Generally I'm still well below 8 lbs but I have stopped even weighing gear.

AT 2012

I actually started bringing a ukulele with me during the months that it is warm enough to play in the evening... can't remember where I got it at the moment. I do carry a long handled spork instead of the plastic spoon I used to think was ok, and my hammock tarp has grown doors and I bring it along even in the summer. And I bring two extra batteries for my phone so I can watch a movie, call home and use my gps as much as I want.
    Lazarus

Hey Laz I believe I sold you an outdoor uke.. Is that the one? Black polycarbonate

Furthermore I think this is a great discussion from experienced hikers explaining what didn't work for them. Future long distance hikers should be able to take a few tidbits of advice from this thread

Over the years my pack weight really has not change much. Between my first thru-hike back in 1989 after trimming down my pack to my lightest thru-hike back in 2008 (the JMT), the different in weight has been less than 4 pounds different. This year while doing the Colorado Trail, I decided to carry a few ounces to sleep a little warmer when camping. Leaving town my total pack weight was still carrying under 5% of my body weight, so I really didn’t even notice the different.

Wolf

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++