WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default I've selected an ULA Circuit, now what sleeping bag to go with it? Advice please!

Hey fellow adventurers, I hope all of you have been doing great! I believe I have decided to go with an ULA Circuit, I've done my research on it and really like it. In general, what down sleeping bag would you select to go with it? I guess my main concern is making sure the sleeping bag will actually fit inside the pack so that's why I ask. Any ideas or suggestions of sleeping bags will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything and happy trails!!
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

Now you know why most folks here suggest buying the pack last. When you have your pile of gear together, you may find that you need an Ohm 2.0 or a Catalyst. No argument on selecting ULA for whatever pack you choose.
    Good luck.
    Oh, someone will be along soon to suggest a quit.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

One more thing.
    If see a bear can in your future, buy accordingly.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Western Mountaineering 20 degree

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    Western Mountaineering 20 degree
    Or 15 degree. Either way Western Mountaineering. You will never regret it.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

You won't have any issue fitting your sleeping bag into the Circuit. Find the sleeping bag you want and don't worry about that. Stuff it in the bottom loose and let it compress.

I dont know why but im the only one to ever suggest Montbell, because I have 3 and love them. I will never use another bag if I can help it

I also have 2 western Mount bags for cold cold weather
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You haven't told us when/where you backpack. Couldn't begin to make suggestions without that. Also, I assume as you mention a bag you are tent camping? But recommendations may vary if you are hammocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I dont know why but im the only one to ever suggest Montbell, because I have 3 and love them. I will never use another bag if I can help it

I also have 2 western Mount bags for cold cold weather
    I've got a Montbell down jacket and pants. Great stuff! They just don't make a bag big enough for me or I would have one too. Everybody I know that has one loves it.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries

I would go with a high quality 20 degree down quilt that has a footbox that opens for ventillation for wide range flexibility and low wt. . Hammock Gear has some of the most reasonable prices. IMO.

Rolling around in a bag and getting it wrapped around you is infuriating to me. Especially suffocating your face in the hood trying to sleep on stomach. When its really cold, they are great, rest of the time, a hassle.

There is a reason why we dont sleep in sleeping bags at home every night. Simple covers work better.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-12-2015 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by PAFranklin View Post
    You haven't told us when/where you backpack. Couldn't begin to make suggestions without that. Also, I assume as you mention a bag you are tent camping? But recommendations may vary if you are hammocking.
    The companies I like don't really vary much between temp ratings. My 15* ul bag fits and feels the same as my 30*, its just a bit warmer

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I've got a Montbell down jacket and pants. Great stuff! They just don't make a bag big enough for me or I would have one too. Everybody I know that has one loves it.
    Montbell's come in Long, Im 6'4" and use a reg just fine, my first Montbell is a long and it was way too long for me, still have it. As well Montbell's expandable girth size is something like 88". It is the most expandable bag on the market.

What bag do you use that fits better then a Montbell? have you tested a Montbell out?
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I would go with a high quality 20 degree down quilt that has a footbox that opens for ventillation for wide range flexibility and low wt. . Hammock Gear has some of the most reasonable prices. IMO.

Rolling around in a bag and getting it wrapped around you is infuriating to me. Especially suffocating your face in the hood trying to sleep on stomach. When its really cold, they are great, rest of the time, a hassle.

There is a reason why we dont sleep in sleeping bags at home every night. Simple covers work better.
    I'm mainly a stomach sleeper and thinking about a 0* quilt for mainly SE winter use. I'm hate getting wrapped up and the hood.. You think a 0* quilt is comparable to a 15* bag? Currently use a marmot helium 15* bag for winter and a 45 JRB quilt for summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enlightened Equipment makes a pair of straps to stack 2 quilts together. Say a 10* and a 40* together will weigh and cost about as much as the better bags.
    a plus for versatility using as well as packing. A compression stuff sack might be a thought. Of course always store down products loose.
    There I said it quilt.

Go for top quality and low weight the first time rather than having to do an expensive "do over" like I did. Consider the zPacks bag/quilts - best weight for value deal out there IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Go for top quality and low weight the first time rather than having to do an expensive "do over" like I did. Consider the zPacks bag/quilts - best weight for value deal out there IMO.
    U dissing that helium?Did u sell it?

Get an overfilled Western Mountaineering Megalite.
    Wonder if they will add down to my regular ML?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    U dissing that helium?Did u sell it?

I actually gave it away. The person who got it is actually a much better fit for the Helium Long in terms of build and should better consume the space in the bag which was the main problem I had with it. Other than weight. The Helium was almost a pound heavier than my zPacks 20 degree.

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

I've had some other people suggest using an Enlightened Equipment Enigma: http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/enigma/ What do all of you think about it?
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

I have a ULA Circuit and carry a WM Alpinelite in the Winter and an EE 40 deg quilt in the summer. Good choice on the pack.

When you are starting out you need something to carry your gear in for weekends etc. I first bought a 65 +10 completely at the clerks suggestion. At some point realized a 50 L might be better sometimes, and it was on sale. and there's a nice daypack someone gave me. So I think a Small, medium and large pack set is reasonable. I'm hoping I can cut my gear down enough to use the 50L for major long distance hikes, maybe for summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++