WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Attachment 32629

Are you suggesting the ATC should have made a die cast champagne popping bobble head bank?

I'm just happy that when ATC decided to offer a hand puppet of a bear as a movie tie-in, they got the species right and made it a black bear (italics theirs).

Attachment 32629

awesome photo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    youtube vids are bringin' out the "problem hikers" on the AT. lots of them are party vids showin' dopin' and drinkin'.
    jurek-celebrate_0.jpg

awesome photo
    Awesome photo showin' a party, and drinkin', on the AT, on Katahdin. Problem hikers? Depends on whether one is the pot or the kettle.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    jurek-celebrate_0.jpg

Awesome photo showin' a party, and drinkin', on the AT, on Katahdin. Problem hikers? Depends on whether one is the pot or the kettle.
    rangers gave him the OK for the champagne

According to him.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Here's the problem, IMO. Many of the same people who complain about alcohol, parties, large groups, celebrations, etc., everywhere else on the AT by other hikers, are defending what happened on Katahdin as being okay. So if you're a celebrity runner in search of trail running records and public recognition (and ultimately profiting financially by those feats), it's okay. But for everyone else, it isn't?

Hey, I don't think BSP handled the situation well by any stretch of the imagination. And I realize that he was given an okay for the champagne (but to keep it low-key) and that all the people in that photo aren't Jurek's immediate hiking group. But most of the "partying" on the AT isn't that of large organized groups either. It's just hikers who all happen to wind up at the same place in a given moment in time, and a party atmosphere develops, much as it did in this event. But if that photo was of some unknown thru-hiker spraying champagne on the summit with 30 onlookers, and not of a celebrity, I think the public response would be a lot different. The problem isn't that ONE person did it once. The problem is that now many will feel entitled to behave in the same fashion - if Jurek can celebrate like this, well then, so can I. It's no wonder BSP is concerned.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 11-15-2015 at 13:43.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Brilliant!!!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

emoji106.png........................

awesome photo
    For the prosecutor...it was a gimme.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Here's the problem, IMO. Many of the same people who complain about alcohol, parties, large groups, celebrations, etc., everywhere else on the AT by other hikers, are defending what happened on Katahdin as being okay. So if you're a celebrity runner in search of trail running records and public recognition (and ultimately profiting financially by those feats), it's okay. But for everyone else, it isn't?

Hey, I don't think BSP handled the situation well by any stretch of the imagination. And I realize that he was given an okay for the champagne (but to keep it low-key) and that all the people in that photo aren't Jurek's immediate hiking group. But most of the "partying" on the AT isn't that of large organized groups either. It's just hikers who all happen to wind up at the same place in a given moment in time, and a party atmosphere develops, much as it did in this event. But if that photo was of some unknown thru-hiker spraying champagne on the summit with 30 onlookers, and not of a celebrity, I think the public response would be a lot different. The problem isn't that ONE person did it once. The problem is that now many will feel entitled to behave in the same fashion - if Jurek can celebrate like this, well then, so can I. It's no wonder BSP is concerned.
    That's it exactly...exactly!

Total B.S. His group was met as they sped into KSC and the drivers were ticketed for speeding on the Tote Rd. and entering a closed parking area.
    His claim that after that they told him booze was OK is ridiculous.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Total B.S. His group was met as they sped into KSC and the drivers were ticketed for speeding on the Tote Rd. and entering a closed parking area.
    His claim that after that they told him booze was OK is ridiculous.
    Let's get the hear-say correct. Scott claims the guy who gave him the booze at the peak told him that some unnamed person said it was okay. Scott did not get permission. The person carrying the booze supposed got permission. I am yet to hear a statement from the person who supposedly got permission from some unnamed person. All I have seen is a claim that someone told him that someone said it was okay. That should trump any video or picture or any statement from any authority that claims they met with Scott's sponsors and told them to not have it happen.

However, that is all old news. Let's hear more about why I should be offended by red cups and bobble-heads.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 11-16-2015 at 00:41.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

ATC is sitting on 15 million in cash right now and turns a profit of 2 million a year, although it's a non-profit so the money isn't taxed or payed out in dividends. But what are they actually doing with that cash??? I just don't see where they spend any of it, unless of course it's the shelters in the Whites where they charge.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post
    ATC is sitting on 15 million in cash right now and turns a profit of 2 million a year, although it's a non-profit so the money isn't taxed or payed out in dividends. But what are they actually doing with that cash??? I just don't see where they spend any of it, unless of course it's the shelters in the Whites where they charge.
    Where to begin? I think that you have confused AMC with ATC. AMC manages the huts and charges a fee. ATC distributes a great deal of resources to support the trail. As a member of MATC we greatly appreciate the support, financial and otherwise, from ATC.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaSchwartz View Post
    Whether it's ATC or AMC doesn't really make a difference. Both are non-profit organizations. They don't make any "profit". They do have significant assets from which they may draw investment income, use as collateral for loans, etc. A lot of both organizations' income and revenue goes into land acquisition and funding outdoor and environmental projects and programs. Obviously, their objectives and purposes differ slightly based upon why the were formed and their areas of responsibility.

Both have revenues in the millions. Both have assets in the millions. Both have significant cash on hand in order to function. But assets are not all cash, which is generally a small portion of total assets. Assets include all property (real and physical), investments, endowments, etc. which cannot be easily converted to cash.

ATC's total assets were approximately $17M for fiscal 2014 (with about $1.6M cash) if that is the "cash" you are talking about.
    For comparison, AMC's total assets were approximately $117M for fiscal 2014 (with about $8.5M cash). AMC's Outdoor Centers which include the huts in the Whites, actually run at a very slight loss, with both revenues and expenditures of just over $11M for 2014.

AMC is by far the larger of the two organizations based upon finances. Both organizations likely sit on significant cash much of the time to acquire land, fund projects, buildings, environmental work, scholarships, pay bills, payroll, contractors, etc. They still have to operate like any other business from an accounting standpoint - which means having enough money on hand to meet current projected expenses. This is termed cash and cash equivalents (short term investments, savings, checking accounts). NOT having enough cash to meet operating expenses would indicate a really poorly managed organization.

Here are links to the 2014 financial reports for both organizations:
    ATC - https://www.appalachiantrail.org/doc...4.pdf?sfvrsn=0
    AMC - http://www.outdoors.org/pdf/upload/2...nt-Auditor.pdf
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 11-16-2015 at 10:05.

Images

Damn 4eyedbuzzard you need to get your hand slapped for bringing comments sense in the discussion.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

My girlfriend wants a pair of those $100 socks. She donates $10 a month, she thinks she should have a pair sent to her

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodRoots View Post
    I saw it... well I saw the first 40 or so mins of it and then left. It was really really dull.
    First 40 minutes! Well then; using Bill Bryson's logic, you watched the movie!

Referring to the last line of his book which totally ruined the book for me. "I don't care what anyone says, I hiked the Appalachian Trail."

During my thru I thoroughly enjoyed the shelter entries approximately half way through Virginia in which everyone wrote how they hiked the same distance as Bill Bryson, and in that case hiked the Appalachian Trail.

But I get it. You could make another bobblehead of someone more influential to the development of the trail. But Bill Bryson made it more popular. And you know how people spend their money....follow the trends.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++