WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    First 40 minutes! Well then; using Bill Bryson's logic, you watched the movie!

Referring to the last line of his book which totally ruined the book for me. "I don't care what anyone says, I hiked the Appalachian Trail."

During my thru I thoroughly enjoyed the shelter entries approximately half way through Virginia in which everyone wrote how they hiked the same distance as Bill Bryson, and in that case hiked the Appalachian Trail.

But I get it. You could make another bobblehead of someone more influential to the development of the trail. But Bill Bryson made it more popular. And you know how people spend their money....follow the trends.
    You took it out of context, here's what it really says.

"We didn’t walk 2,200 miles, it’s true, but here’s the thing: we tried. So Katz was right after all, and I don’t care what anybody says. We hiked the Appalachian Trail"

Well, I've hiked the Appalachian trail too...about 130 miles of it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Well, I've hiked the Appalachian trail too...about 130 miles of it.
    And I've hiked most of Maine and climbed Katahdin, so I've hiked it too!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    Long before the AT became commerical. I made a decision to support them only in token ways. Cleaning up my area when I have the time and rarely in a minimal way with money. My major support has long been going to the Green Mountain Club. Quite frankly my heart would not be broken if the AT was allowed to become overgrown. I'm not forking over for advertising. The GMC just seems more important to me than individuals ego's., and even they are getting out of line. If grass roots support of the AT fizzles out so will the path. Just think hikers might actually have to carry a map and compass. If it becomes bobblehead commerical. My interest in the AT will become historical. No real interest in a racetrack fronting as a hiking trail, no interest a hiking trail catering the bucket list vacationing type with zero backwoods skills. Not on my dollar. If I were king close her for several years. Cull out the groupies.
    I might of said that but you did a good job at it.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    My girlfriend wants a pair of those $100 socks. She donates $10 a month, she thinks she should have a pair sent to her
    What socks you talking about?
    More walking, less talking.

Walk in the Woods movie didn't stay long at our theatres....never heard how well it did nationwide. Expect it to be out on DVD at redbox soon, I missed seeing it at the cinema.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    What socks you talking about?
    http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-t...o-crew-cushion

It came with a request for Donations. $100 gets you a free pair of socks with the ATC logo on them.

Images

And I've hiked most of Maine and climbed Katahdin, so I've hiked it too!
    I've lost track of the number of times I've hiked the whole width of the AT....

Journal Entries
    Images

http://darntough.com/men/mens-hike-t...o-crew-cushion

It came with a request for Donations. $100 gets you a free pair of socks with the ATC logo on them.
    Darn Tough is a great company located in a small town in VT and thier socks are loved by thru hikers. When you buy a pair with the ATC logo they give/pay something like $1 to the ATC.

The AT also liscences their (our?) logo to another sock company which are the ones you get as part of this promotion.

Why the ATC would liscence thier logo to a competitor of Darn Tough so soon is confusing. Perhaps they had a falling out. Seems like a very odd way for the ATC to do business.
    Last edited by rickb; 11-18-2015 at 05:12.

Journal Entries

You took it out of context, here's what it really says.

"We didn’t walk 2,200 miles, it’s true, but here’s the thing: we tried. So Katz was right after all, and I don’t care what anybody says. We hiked the Appalachian Trail"
    May not have hiked all the trail
    But he did hit some high points
    He got a feel for what it was about

Most people that hike 800-900 miles of sections
    Just arent going to quit cold turkey
    Bryson did
    Because he did it only for the book

Did he hike it, ...or exploit it?
    Popularization is double-edged sword.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-18-2015 at 06:24.

Some people do it to escape responsibility, some for a book, some for the enjoyment of it, some for the challenge.

HYOH

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

so? some do it just for a damn certificate and patch. the ATC ain't complainin' if he exploited it. they're hoping to profit

Journal Entries

Im not complaining either

May not have hiked all the trail
    But he did hit some high points
    He got a feel for what it was about

Most people that hike 800-900 miles of sections
    Just arent going to quit cold turkey
    Bryson did

Popularization is double-edged sword.
    perhaps, but that's a completely different argument.

Journal Entries

perhaps, but that's a completely different argument.
    Is it?

People that dislike bryson dont even know him. They dislike his effect on the trail and commercialization of it. The focus of this thread was atc apparently embracing that through promootion of the bobblehead.

Atc is still in mode of cramming users on trail, regardless of experience. Thats what the underlying sentimments are about
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-18-2015 at 13:20. Reason: .

Is it?

People that dislike bryson dont even know him. They dislike his effect on the trail and commercialization of it. The focus of this thread was atc apparently embracing that through promootion of the bobblehead.

Atc is still in mode of cramming users on trail, regardless of experience. Thats what the underlying sentimments are about
    Good point, fare enough...lets roll with it. I'll return your punt.

Did Bill Bryson hike knowing he would write a book about it? Or did he just go hiking, and the book came later as an after thought? I don't have a clue!

Cramming hikers on the trail, eh? I suppose that's one way of putting it. I doubt if Benton MacKaye would have put it that way.

There's a push in government(s) these days to privatize anything that's not tied down. This applies to national parks as well. The more people use and support the AT, the less likely it is to suffer that fate. There's strength in numbers, and maybe ATC is (shrewdly) trying to get their numbers up.

I don't really "get" the Bryson bobblehead doll, but it doesn't irk me all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Cramming hikers on the trail, eh? I suppose that's one way of putting it. I doubt if Benton MacKaye would have put it that way.

There's a push in government(s) these days to privatize anything that's not tied down. This applies to national parks as well. The more people use and support the AT, the less likely it is to suffer that fate. There's strength in numbers, and maybe ATC is (shrewdly) trying to get their numbers up.

I don't really "get" the Bryson bobblehead doll, but it doesn't irk me all that much.
    pretty much this

Atc is going to make a few pennies selling the bobble heads to clueless family members of folks who either just finished the at or who are planning on hiking it next year. Don't be surprised if you get one for Xmas from a family member that loves Redford.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post

Benton mackeye never dreamed 50+ people per night would be at a shelter.

I stayed in vicinity of Thomas Knob saturday night. In the 1/8 mile stretch surrounding that, there was probably 50 people or more. In mid november. With a forecast of 25 mph gusting to 40, and temp in low 20s. Thats not even considering the many dozens of dayhikers out to see the ponies and views.

At what point do some agencies start to care about preserving the experience?

AT has already become an urban feeling trail due to numbers, services, and cell phones, during some times of year and days of week.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-18-2015 at 17:41.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++