WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sorry! Previous post was inadvertent. Please disregard! I meant to send a link to my obsessive gear list for upcoming section hike:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    LEGO Friends 41092 Stephanie's Pizzeria https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJ8EXHM..._c6sqwbBKCA5V7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A little early for Christmas shopping, isn't it?
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc5294 View Post
    A little early for Christmas shopping, isn't it?
    Ha! Daughter's bday this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I bought a decent postage scale. It does grams up to a kilo. About $30. I can tell you if my blue underwear weighs more than the green ones. Wait until you bring the scale with you to go shopping. Then you know you have an obsessive compulsive problem.
    $7.99 on sale, with free shipping, and comes with a battery. I've had it about a week. Can't weigh a single rubber band, but can weigh a snack sized baggie. Certainly enough accuracy for me when I want to make that metal file vs. toenail clippers weight vs. utility decision. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Etekcity-5...Scale/39520484

Every body needs one. or access to one. I was kinda surprised When I found out the local Rei didn't have one.

I will never be without some sort of scale again. It's nice to actually know how much something weighs..

I use both a postage scale for smaller items and a luggage scale for total pack weight or larger items. An Excel spread sheet is good for planning hikes. We tend to hike in groups of 3 to 6, my wife, daughters and other friends. The Excel sheet allows an allocation of all items, keeps maximum weights for some and allows everything to sorted out prior to the hike.

Knowing the weight and function of things helps with making future purchase decisions.

I've swapped out quite a few items from knowing the weight. While I agree certain items you will carry regardless of weight (my massive synthetic sleeping bag being one), I also find knowing the weights very useful for being able to exchange items. I was carrying an MSR Alpine stainless pot and a Trangia Triangle for my stove. Without knowing the weight of them I wouldn't have swapped them for a simple stainless mesh stand and a Titan Kettle. Saved myself nearly half a kilo which I probably wouldn't have considered otherwise. I eat a lot so it's nice to be able to carry a bit more food and still have a comfortable weight.

I have a DigiWeigh that is accurate to 0.1g (model DWP-1001). This level of accuracy is useful when testing fuel consumption of various canister stoves. It is interesting to see first-hand the greatly increased efficiency when (most) stoves are run at significantly less than full throttle.

I got into weighing everything as well. Amazing how many grams you can shave off by boring holes in the handle of a cast iron skillet. Just kidding. I was amazed how much going to titanium for pot, water, bottle, and spork saved me. I do cut the line at skimping on survival gear. Especially in poor weather.

Ul is fine for summer. But if you're try it in winter you might consider bringing a helicopter with you.

I too have come obsessed with weighing everything. Check out gear grams.com. You can make a spreadsheet of everything you have then create a file for your trip and drop and drag each item there. Easy and fun . You can use kilograms, ounces, pound or grams for totals. It converts everything to your desired measurements.
    Happy weighing

Quote Originally Posted by PAFranklin View Post
    I got into weighing everything as well. Amazing how many grams you can shave off by boring holes in the handle of a cast iron skillet. Just kidding. I was amazed how much going to titanium for pot, water, bottle, and spork saved me. I do cut the line at skimping on survival gear. Especially in poor weather.
    Good one!

I like drilling holes through my sleeping bags to reduce weight. Easier than drilling through cast iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++