WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Muffins on the trail

Somewhere in the past I read that you could take water only muffin mix and make them on the trail.
    How would you do this as I have read on the package to make in the oven?

You can make yourself a fauxbaker like this http://www.trailcooking.com/fauxbaker/. You are basically steaming your muffin but they do taste good.

If you can find a doughnut cutter that helps a lot. You fill the ring with the muffin mix, put it in your pot with a little water and let it steam for awhile. Having the hole in the middle ensures you have fully cooked dough. The only problem is it takes a long time to make enough of these to fill you up.

How about chocolate pudding instead? Get instant pudding mix, mix it up in your pot and put it in a cold stream for an hour.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I've made some tasty muffins with the Bakepacker. I don't usually bother, though. It's also good for small, fresh trout.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The Another Kevin photo set on Flickr with the "how to" on making muffins on an alcohol stove:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/...7644331682423/. Just keep hitting the > at the right side of the picture to advance.

A lot of hikers wouldn't put up with the time it takes, because they're champing at the bit to make the miles. I don't do big miles. I think a 15-mile day was the longest that I've put in for the last few years. That means that I occasionally have time to do better trail cooking than the mileage machines.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I'm planning to try some stuff over the next couple days I'll make a post on how I bake. It's not to hard but if using a stove it's fuel hungry.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Another way to do it is to fry the batter. Put a half an inch to an inch of oil, lard or Crisco in the bottom of your pot and heat it up...when the oil is hot pour the batter in there...when it starts to firm up, flip it over. You can make pretty much any muffin mix, cake mix, corn bread, etc this way. If you are making a mix that calls for vegetable oil you can leave that out because plenty of oil will soak into the cake as it cooks.

Oh !At 1st I didn't realize this was a cooking thread about muffins! Never mind!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Here's an idea I did a while back. I've also used larger pots to. If ya have a small campfire scoop some coals on to not with a gas stove naturally but if campfire cooking to help brown things.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthre...t=#post1983307
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Some standard mixes I use are.. Martha White, Jiffy, Bisquick. ... when it calls for milk, I sprinkle some powdered milk in the zip lock bag with the partial pkg mix. When it calls for an egg I also sprinkle in some powdered egg whites. I don't measure, not necessary. Then it becomes an "add water" to the zip lock bag type mix.
    I like to rehydrate scrambled eggs and ham with a little water and then add Bisquick for a ham and egg biscuit type muffin. Also like to put pepperoni in the center of Bisquick mixed with Italian seasoning and some hard cheese shaved in.
    I like to use the silicone baking cups, they hold their shape better than paper, but shape to fit more in the pot, and clean up easily. With the simmer screen it is taking about 2 oz fuel and 20 minutes. I am preferring denatured alcohol over Heat (yellow) because it isn't as hot and doesn't burn them as easily.

Think I'll try my gsi kettle as has more room. Not sure if it's tall enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muffins dehydrate very easily. . .great with coffee in the morning. . .muffins are a bit crunchy like biscotti.

.com

Any chance of wrapping the mix in AL foil and putting it at the edge of the coals. Has anyone written a book about cooking in coals? It should be done. IMHO

There is a blueberry muffin mix that I have used where you just add water. That and the Fat Daddios single aluminum baking cup works pretty well for me. There are a number of you tube videos that deal with this.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I make muffins on the trail all the time and use the "just add water" mixes. But (and you knew there was a but coming, didn't you...) it requires two pots. Because I'm cooking for 6 I carry a 4 liter pot and a 2 liter pot. The 2 liter pot goes inside the 4 liter pot with a folded piece of aluminum foil to keep it off the bottom of the pot. In the 2 liter pot goes my mix and then I put the lid on that and the lid on my 4 liter pot. This whole contraption goes over my camp stove. We've had several yummy blueberry muffins (basically one giant, pot-shaped muffin each time) on the trail. Don't forget to take the top off the inner pot for the last few minutes to brown the top up nicely.

This can scale down for a lighter setup, maybe baking inside an aluminum can or a some kind of giant aluminum cupcake cup that fits in your pot.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

My guess is that it would probably work, although aluminum foil is AWFULLY THIN for this purpose. This reminds me of the "ol'Boy Scout tin foil dinners, where the hamburger and the veggies got wrapped up and tossed into the coals, but there's more water content in this meal that stays in the package. The water in the muffin mix is supposed to "go away".
    Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Any chance of wrapping the mix in AL foil and putting it at the edge of the coals. Has anyone written a book about cooking in coals? It should be done. IMHO
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    My guess is that it would probably work, although aluminum foil is AWFULLY THIN for this purpose. This reminds me of the "ol'Boy Scout tin foil dinners, where the hamburger and the veggies got wrapped up and tossed into the coals, but there's more water content in this meal that stays in the package. The water in the muffin mix is supposed to "go away".

Actually I've tried aluminum foil as a formed cup inside a pot for baking it holds up fine. Best to use the heavy duty stuff not the thin cheap kind. That said it kinda makes a mess out of the cake it's not a favorite way of mine

By Doug Larson

Check out Flat Cat Gear. I have a titanium bobcat system with a .9 evernew pot and his epicurean stove. He sells an internal aluminum baking pan that fits inside my pot. I take just add water pizza crusts and make calzones with pepperoni and string cheese or chicken parm with pouch chicken, dehydrated sauce, and string cheese. He has a free pdf cookbook on his site of things he makes with his stove. I use esbit wth this but if you use alcohol he has stuff for that too.

Those calzones are my favorite thing to make but I have also made just add water muffins and biscuits and they all turn out fine as long as you don't have too much mix. Too much mix and the top of the muffin will end up sticking to the lid of the pan and not baking on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++