WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking for PA section hikers to hookup

I'm currently about halfway through PA,picking up the trail at Mountain road this coming weekend and heading to Swatara SP on an overnighter.I plan to finish PA next year and was looking for some companionship,can be males or females,I'm not hardcore usually do 10-12 miles a day or less,depends what my body feels like.I have hiked from Snickers Gap VA to Mountain Rd in PA so far on the AT.I am open to other trails as well,but my knowledge isn't much on them.Thanks

Lumberjack03

I have section hiked from Springer to Swatara Gap and plan to finish PA next spring. I am in the 10- 15 mpd range and am also looking for a hiking buddy.

CPT Kirk

I was planning to do a week over the 4th of July week as my work has a shutdown week,I can go 3-4 days or the spring,do you have a definite date that your looking at?

I just finished PA 325 to Swatara Gap three weeks ago. It's an easy walk with a very pleasant stay at Rausch Gap shelter. I'm heading out next weekend, and if you're interested, we can park our cars at each end. Shoot me a PM if you're up for it. The only thing I'm looking at is what the water levels look like in that area. There was a stretch the last outing where a few springs were dried up, but we've had some good rain since then.

I'm willing to drive anywhere in the state, and my usual weekend routine is start early Saturday morning, hike 10-15 miles, stealth tent or tent at a shelter, and then 4-6 miles the next day, finishing around lunch time.
    Last edited by capehiker; 11-15-2015 at 14:02.

Images

I am hiking over the Thanksgiving holiday through Saturday. Wed, start at Swatara Gap / Lickdale iron bridge. Hiking four days and finishing up in Port Clinton. Driving up from VA, so anyone needing that section done, glad to have the company. Itinerary: Day one - Leave Swatara about 0900 - hike to Wiliam Penn Shelter for the evening (7.5 miles). Day 2 - Thanksgiving Day: Hike past 501 shelter and camp at Hertline campsite (9.7 miles). Day 3 - Black Friday - Hike to Eagles Nest Shelter (9.5 miles). Final day - Saturday - Hike into Port Clinton to pick up my truck (9.0 miles). Total 35.3 miles. Weather looks to be clear with temps in the 40 to 50's in the day and hovering about 30 at night. Not sure about water, but AWOL's guide looks promising. Let me know if anyone is interested in escaping the post Thanksgiving shopping madness.

lumberjack03

I should be available in July and also any time in April. Send me a pm if you would like to coordinate.

CPT Kirk

Hi, I have just started PA (501-72 and Caledonia to Shippensburg Rd). I am mostly available for day hikes over the weekend but might be find a time for an overnight.

Akela:
    I need to do the northeastern portion of PA and would be willing to do weekends in March/April as soon as the weather permits. Let me know if you are interested in arranging a hike.
    CPY Kirk

Let's see how busy the calendar gets but March/April sound fantastic

Akela and CDK,I just finished into port Clinton this month and will be looking to hike NOBO,I have done a couple hikes with CapeHiker from here,but he will be thru hiking starting in may.I you both would like to hike past Port Clinton,I am up for it.

It works for me, I don't mind the driving

Lumberjack is a great hiking partner!

Thought I might pop in to say I'm lacking all of MD & PA. Would love to join 1 or more if you can do a full week or more. I am more of a 15-20 mile guy however. Better to have a partner early in the season; by May there should be plenty of company anyway.
    Edwin

Great Aleka; let's keep in touch.

Lumberjack: I have completed CT and MA, but I need NJ and NY so I am interested in continuing north from Port Clinton.

Already looking forward to hiking weather!
    CPT Kirk

That is a good point,ednotmilkman.
    That is too fast for me. I am more in the 10-15 range, especially in the rocky PA, and not really interested in rushing through it
    Akela

I can do 15 miles but slow considerably after about 10 miles especially on descents.I would do a 3or 4 day hike in spring if a few of us could coordinate to meet up.CapeHiker I know would like to finish PA before his thru.Lets try to pick a 3 or 4 day stretch in Early spring that works for everyone.I would like to have PA finished by July 4 so I can do NJ the week my work in on shutdown.

Let's see what weather the winter brings. I might have a couple of weekends in early March but I am not interested in hiking in the snow

I still might join if I can figure out how to join for 3-4 days and then continue on another 3-6 days and still get back to either public transport or my private car. Easiest points for me to start or end would be Harpers Ferry via Amtrak from DC, or bus to DWG from NYC. Megabus is pretty good for hikers when you can't plan ahead to get a decent plane ticket. Might pay for a hiker shuttle wherever in between I need a lift unless there is good bus service in the middle of PA ? I don't mind 12 mile days for a week with good company. Edwin

p.s. I love the challenge of a little snow and ice; as long as temp stays above zero F

Journal Entries

I'm doing 4-5 days Jan 10-14 somewhere in the area. 15 mpd for a shakedown hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

while I am looking at my guidebook, can any of you tell me what are the best options for shuttles to a main bus route, to Harrisburg it looks like, in the middle of PA to go south? I would like to do one section Harpers Ferry to Duncannon for 124 miles. Then north to DWG for 147 miles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++