WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking with a partially blind border collie

Hello,

My partner and I have a very energetic one and a half year old border collie who is partially blind from a hereditary condition. He has peripheral vision, but his forward vision is quite limited even in bright light. He goes on walks and adapts well to being off of roads or sidewalks and really enjoys the activity. He's incredibly smart and uses his other senses very well but definitely struggles more when the light is very dim.

We'd love to take him hiking/backpacking with us and the vet has given the ok, provided we keep him up to date on his snake antivenom shots. Does anyone have any experience hiking with a dog who can't see very well and maybe has some tips or recommendations to share to make him more safe and comfortable? Thanks!

Snake anti venom shots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

The same as for any dog: A leash, a sleeping pad (and blanket if needed), plenty of food and water, rest breaks, keep an eye on paw pads, and watch for ticks and whatever other critters you may encounter.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I live in the southwest a lot of the year, it's not really an antivenom, it's a rattlesnake vaccine sort of thing.

Images

An anti venom? I didn't find this in my research, do tell.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Quote Originally Posted by polechar View Post
    I hope the pups doing well! Really enjoyed your vids w pups on your thru...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by polechar View Post
    Our vet recommended it, and we live in a part of New Mexico where rattlesnakes do show up in town, and are plentiful if you go on a hike. That being said, some people online seem to dismiss it as a money making thing? The idea is that you still have to run to the vet if your dog gets bitten, but because they've been given a vaccine that helps them build some immunity to the toxin, the result of the bite will not be as bad. My dog hasn't had one yet but our vet suggested coming back in March to get it if we plan on going hiking.

If anyone else has heard anything from their vets I would really like to hear about it.

My experience with hiking with my black lab whose sight was not impaired, is that his sense of smell and hearing were a real asset. I got to the point where I would just let him choose when there was a fork in the trail with no white blazes in sight. I finally figured out his sense of smell followed other hikers. You don't say whether you are going to have your dog carry a pack, but again, my experience is that my dog didn't go off trail as long as he was carrying his pack. He ran ahead of me some times, but I didn't worry about him going off the trail. Trying to hike with him on a leash was a real pain. The best of luck to you and your dog.

My dog had basically no vision in one eye due to cataracts. However, his vision was normal in the other eye. He was always great on the trail. We never had to make any adjustment to our normal behavior, but he didn't have a problem with seeing ahead out of his good eye.

Unfortunately, he is now completely blind, so he doesn't go with me anymore. I really miss him being with me, and I hate having to leave him behind.

If I were you, I'd try going on an easy day hike, one where you could easily abort and go home, and give that a try. If that works, then you can try going on longer hikes.

I'll ask my mother-in-law with Macular degeneration if she wants to go hiking with your dog. The 1/2 blind leading the 1/2 blind.
    My guess probably a nice dog.

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. We're testing out short hikes now, with directional commands in more difficult to navigate areas. Hopefully we'll get to do some longer trips with him!

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Ignore Squeezebox, he's just a troll. As far as hiking with a half blind dog, Go for it. If your dog is calm, happy, and doesn't spook, I would try for it. There are people who trail ride blind horses that follow other horses, and/or have a bond with the human that they trust them very much. I recommend working small. Try a hike up a trail with low miles, some real wilderness smells, and than a night car camping. It would be a good test run for the pup.

++ New Posts ++