WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Water at Dennytown rd campsite in winter?

Hi;
    I'm going to be trekking from Manitou (just north of Bear Mtn NY) to Wingdale NY between Sat 11/21 and Wed 11/25. I am figuring that my first night will be at Dennytown road. I have read about a spigot where you can take water, but I would expect that in winter the spigot is shut off. Is there an alternate source for water? I've got a filter, so just about any stream will do.

Thanks

Arden

Images

I think you're right that the spigot is seasonal. I know there are no streams or springs at the site itself. I guess just water up when you start getting close?

Jane

Journal Entries

Thanks for the info; So I won't depend on getting water at Dennytown rd.
    There's Canopus Lake, 3.7mi north, but camping/water is 1mi road walk. I don't want to be doing any road walking if it's starting to get dark. I can water up at the AT Market I suppose. I can limit my need for water at Dennytown if I also eat up at the market - so I don't need to cook a meal.

Images

when we went through there SOBO in late summer there was another well flowing brook with a nice little cascade just north of south highland road crossing. this would be before you reach canopus lake heading nobo and just south of the dennytown road campsite. to me it seems like as one of the few water sources running strongly at that time it would be fairly reliable in such a warm november. but don't quote me on that!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

The trailhead is directly across Rte 301 from Canopus Lake, so you wouldn't need to walk to the campground if you just want to filter some water.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Not to mention that the campground is probably not open at this time of the year anyway? So any water source there is likely to be turned off for the winter as well.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Not to mention that the campground is probably not open at this time of the year anyway? So any water source there is likely to be turned off for the winter as well.
    Which campsite are you talking about? Dennytown or Canopus Lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Which campsite are you talking about? Dennytown or Canopus Lake?
    The campground (which I think was referring to the one right on 301 with the 1 mile road walk). That is a drive in type campground and those are usually not open "off season". Obviously the campsites on the AT are open anytime as one can't really "close" them.

Journal Entries

The campground (which I think was referring to the one right on 301 with the 1 mile road walk). That is a drive in type campground and those are usually not open "off season". Obviously the campsites on the AT are open anytime as one can't really "close" them.
    OK. So that would be Canopus Lake. I would be tenting at Dennytown.
    My biggest problem now appears to be transportation from the AT at route 55 in CT to Wingdale NY train station. I would need to call Uber, but unsure whether or not any Uber drivers are around to pick me up. Alternative is to walk the 4 miles on the road. It looks like there is ample walking room just off the road - in the weeds/grass to walk safely. I gleaned that info using Google street view.
    I tried a road walk - in the dark, using a headlamp - from the TH on the Camp Smith train to the Peekskill train station, thinking there was a bike/walking route next to the road, but found nothing. I eventually got picked up by a "trail angel" who happened to be passing by and saw me walking. If the guy hadn't stopped for me, I would have had to call a taxi, regardless of the cost. They can be very expensive, as they are usually based in larger cities, and you have to pay the fare from the time they start out to get you.

All of this aside, hiking farther north is going to be a problem. There isn't a train station between Wingdale and Dalton MA, where I could probably get a bus to Pittsfield MA, then Amtrak back to NYC.
    I would like to eventually do the entire AT in sections, but how does one get transportation to/from the trail?
    I know that some thru-hikers hitch, but I don't care for that, and it is illegal in many states. Uber is a good choice, but they aren't allowed to work in some states. Interestingly, I can get Uber from CT to NY, but not the other way around. I think Uber works in Mass.

I am probably making too much of an issue of this. Perhaps I will take a car drive up to CT and see what I can do there. I can try walking the road between the AT and Wingdale. That way, at least I know what to expect.

Years ago there were rail lines going east/west and north/south in northwestern Connecticut. Now there's just the Berkshire line and it's confined to occasional freight. Of the east/west lines, not even tracks remain. Similarly, the last stop on the "Wassaic Branch" from NYC (formerly called the Harlem Division) is, not surprisingly, Wassaic, which is a few miles north of Wingdale. After that, nothing. Such a pity. Once you get into Massachusetts you will find bus options.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    All of this aside, hiking farther north is going to be a problem. There isn't a train station between Wingdale and Dalton MA, where I could probably get a bus to Pittsfield MA, then Amtrak back to NYC.
    Uber is a good choice, but they aren't allowed to work in some states. Interestingly, I can get Uber from CT to NY, but not the other way around. I think Uber works in Mass.
    That is the issue with Uber - it's not allowed in NY outside NYC (though they have been trying to get it OK'd elsewhere in the state.

Further along perhaps you could do a longer section? From the AT station into CT is not that long (less than 10 miles) and all of CT is just over 50. Add 10 more (+/-) in MA to get to a road. So about 70 total. That gets you past the CT issue.

Journal Entries

That is the issue with Uber - it's not allowed in NY outside NYC (though they have been trying to get it OK'd elsewhere in the state.

Further along perhaps you could do a longer section? From the AT station into CT is not that long (less than 10 miles) and all of CT is just over 50. Add 10 more (+/-) in MA to get to a road. So about 70 total. That gets you past the CT issue.
    Uber is allowed to pick me up in CT, so if I can get online from the trail crossing at CT route 55, I can get Uber to take me to Wingdale. But looking at the list of cities on Uber's website, I am wondering whether it is possible to get a ride from any city not listed.
    That is why I really need to make a dry run before I do the hike. I can take a train from GCT to Wingdale, and try to do the road walk to the AT. If that turns out OK, then I can at least depend on getting to Wingdale. If there is snow on the ground, all bets are off. I don't think I really want to do this in the cold of winter anyway. My lighter sleeping bag is good only to 23 min, 32 comfy, and my 0 deg F bag is 4lbs compared to 2lbs for the lighter one.
    Perhaps I should just forget about trying to section hike the entire AT. I can focus on the sections that are easily accessible by bus or train, then go back to the other sections later. I won't rule out a thru-hike someday though. Just not a NOBO hike beginning in March.

Journal Entries

An alternative would be to hike only the section between Manitou and the AT station at Pawling. If I walk slowly enough, or take at least one zero, I could stretch the 40 miles into 6 days (sun-sat), or if I can go the week of Xmas, I only have to stretch it to 5 days, since Xmas is a Friday, and the AT station should have service for the holiday. That might actually be my best alternative - provided the weather cooperates.

++ New Posts ++