WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

I think there is one set up at Dicks Creek Gap...30 or 40 yards from the road...north side. Not sure if it is working.
    hikers gonna hike

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    One reason you really should camp aways off the trail and not on it or right next to it.
    LOL, does anyone actually camp ON THE TRAIL? That would be hilarious (in a sad, sad way) - talk about entitlement! I have no idea how I would respond if I were hiking along in the early morning or late night and came upon a tent blocking the trail.

I wonder if it's a good place for a campfire...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    LOL, does anyone actually camp ON THE TRAIL? That would be hilarious (in a sad, sad way) - talk about entitlement! I have no idea how I would respond if I were hiking along in the early morning or late night and came upon a tent blocking the trail.

I wonder if it's a good place for a campfire...
    Happens all the time, especially in the off season. It's even more common on trails that are less used than the A.T.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I find it a environmentally a sound practice, it should happen more...3.2.1 dead serious!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    I think there is one set up at Dicks Creek Gap...30 or 40 yards from the road...north side. Not sure if it is working.
    It was there this past May. I waved at it and kept moving.

Saw one this July also, in VA, between Pearisburg & Troutville. It was raining it's azz off - I waved, smiled, and kept moving

u.w.

I ordered a cheap game camera last night to play with. Lets see whats roaming around in the woods behind my place. If it's not too big or heavy, maybe I will bring it along on my next hike NOBO from Harpers Ferry in May. Can always send it home if it proves to be useless.

But I think there should be one located near every state line crossing as it would be a good way to get a reasonably accurate count of trail usage.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I had considered it but ultimately decided that setting up a hidden camera at a designated camping site (most of my A.T. camping is in designated site only areas) wasn't appropriate and went against the implicit respect that most of us show for the privacy of other campers.
    Thank you. Just the thought of this really distresses me.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Wouldn't you love to get some pictures like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AihvuZiDhsg
    The bears really, really like that tree

my brother set up a couple game cameras on his property to take pictures of the deer eating his garden. He caught a poacher in a gillie suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    But I think there should be one located near every state line crossing as it would be a good way to get a reasonably accurate count of trail usage.
    Trail surveillance. Just what we DON'T need.

Images

What's really outside you tent at night https://cdn.streamable.com/video/webm/atk5.webm
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

My wife bought one (one of the lighter smaller ones too), but it always ends up getting left behind as we're calculating base weight for a trip. I could see it for an overnight where an extra couple pounds is mostly irrelevant, but not for any extended trip...

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    It was there this past May. I waved at it and kept moving.

Saw one this July also, in VA, between Pearisburg & Troutville. It was raining it's azz off - I waved, smiled, and kept moving

u.w.
    Yeah, there is a Forrest service trail camera set up about 50yds south of the Mountain Lake road crossing.

Journal Entries

Saw a new camera today on the Coosa Backcountry/Duncan Ridge Trail coming out of Wolf Pen Gap. It looks identical to the one at Dick's Creek Gap so I'm thinking it's data collection by land management which, I suppose...is pretty obvious.
    hikers gonna hike

The cheap game camera I ordered last week showed up the other day. Weighs in at 10.5 oz with 4 AA alkaline batteries and the strap. Any thing which weighs over 1/2 a pound has to be carefully considered and it is a bit bulky, so I don't think this will be going on any extended trips with me. Meanwhile, it's set up in the woods behind me to find out if anything lives back there
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Wouldn't you love to get some pictures like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AihvuZiDhsg

I was in a shelter on the AT in the Smokey Mountains with my 2 boys and a couple other guys when a lot of bears came to the shelter. One of them scratched it's back on the corner of the shelter while my boys & I watched. Due to exhaustion from hiking all day, the other guys slept through the entire event. You'd be surprised what you can sleep through if you're exhausted. I think it would have been cool to have pictures of the bears we saw, especially the one that smelled my boys feet. My cheap camera couldn't take a picture of a black bear in the dark. I got a better camera for the next hike but never had another encounter. I bet a camera like you guys are discussing would show some cool things happening at night while you sleep. I say go for it even though I'm the 50 year old that has to relieve myself in the middle of the night

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Can tree cameras be used to catch people doing the cathole thing? Umm, I reconsider. I'm in favor of tree cameras.... and satellite imaging, GPSing, trail police, and robots giving citations at every TH too. We NEED one of these at every mandated camping are too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rVQGT01Kzg
    Why hike at all when you can get a drone with a camera and explore the trail from the comfort of your car?
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Actually, I expect to see that some time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Actually, I expect to see that some time soon.
    I'm actually surprised that Google doesn't have the whole trail done in "street view" yet. If you do some research, there's actually a few neat places that they've done (Midway island, for example).

Journal Entries
    Images

So, who will step up to do a through hike with one of these..

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    I'm actually surprised that Google doesn't have the whole trail done in "street view" yet. If you do some research, there's actually a few neat places that they've done (Midway island, for example).
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++