WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

kf1wv answered my question. The question I intended to as is will ATC record you as completing two 2000 milers if you yo-yo the whole thing. The answer appears to be yes from the link below. Will I do it this way...maybe. Will I do it all at once...I hope to do that too. I'm enjoying this thread a lot....it makes me contemplate my motivations about doing a through.

Quote Originally Posted by kf1wv View Post
    It does indeed count twice. "Seeks It" is a 2012 certified double thru-hiker: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=397139
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Journal Entries
    Images

Makes me think of Neo after he talks with the Oracle in the Matrix....Morpheous tells him when he gets out:

"No one will ever ask you because
    it is a gift from her. It is for you and you alone"...

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    I get a mental image of a grand "Certificateror" sitting on a mountaintop, white beard flowing in the wind, opining great wisdom to those who seek him, his sage pontifications, and his proclamations. Making it a nearly holy trek in and of itself to obtain the coveted certificate, returning enlightened and insufferable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    kf1wv answered my question. The question I intended to as is will ATC record you as completing two 2000 milers if you yo-yo the whole thing. The answer appears to be yes from the link below. Will I do it this way...maybe. Will I do it all at once...I hope to do that too. I'm enjoying this thread a lot....it makes me contemplate my motivations about doing a through.

the ATC offers no such certification that i have ever heard of.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    What's so difficult about this?
    been wondering the same thing.

i bet you a new pair of socks the ATC does not give him 2 certificates, just as they would not if someone walked from springer to katahdin and turned around and walked back.

Journal Entries
    Images

I never said certify, I said record. Here is a link to their completion application form:
    https://www.appalachiantrail.org/doc...n.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

Images

been wondering the same thing.

i bet you a new pair of socks the ATC does not give him 2 certificates, just as they would not if someone walked from springer to katahdin and turned around and walked back.
    and perhaps more importantly, if hey did give hime two certificates, they would both be on the honor system, so the only person's judgement of what he did who matters in the end is his.

Journal Entries
    Images

image.jpeg
    They issued two for this hiker...

Images

I never said certify, I said record. Here is a link to their completion application form:
    https://www.appalachiantrail.org/doc...n.pdf?sfvrsn=0
    im well ware of that form. it is for completing the trail. if you complete the trail in any way shape or form you will receive one if you apply for it (or if you just lie and say you did) i doubt your plan will get you two. i also doubt 2 "conventional thru hikes" would get you two.

Images

image.jpeg
    They issued two for this hiker...
    well then yes, theyll give you two.

my point was all that analysis and justification you just provided is, well... pointless. what purpose does it serve to try and explain why two admittedly entirely different experiences should both be called a "NOBO thru hike" ??

i'm still waiting to find out who "certified" seeks it as a "double thru hiker."

Since you didnt see the #8 post, I will post who "certified" seeks it as a "double thru hiker" again: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=397139

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post
    Since you didnt see the #8 post, I will post who "certified" seeks it as a "double thru hiker" again: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=397139
    those arent "thru hike" certificates-

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home...il/thru-hiking

scroll to the bottom

semantics aside, i'm surprised they issued 2 to any one hiker. seems out of whack with their own guidelines, but so be it.

Journal Entries

They certainly dont certify anything. The only place a "double thruhike" exists is in someones mind. Its right before thruhiking with less than 15 town stays, and right after being the youngest married thruhiker with 2.3 kids.

Tell them you hiked it, they will write it down. Lie to them, they will write it down. Die and have your remains carrried by friends that request it, and they will write it down.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    They certainly dont certify anything. The only place a "double thruhike" exists is in someones mind. Its right before thruhiking with less than 15 town stays, and right after being the youngest married thruhiker with 2.3 kids.

Tell them you hiked it, they will write it down. Lie to them, they will write it down. Die and have your remains carrried by friends that request it, and they will write it down.
    not only that, but the notion that "springer to katahdin" and "katahdin to springer" certifies anything is 100% false. i, like many other section hikers, if we complete the trail it will be a mixed up hodge podge of directions and skipping around. if we apply for the certificate we will pick either "springer to katahdin" or "katahdin to springer" because we have to. they will print which one we pick, and it will signify nothing. the same is true of seeks it's 2 certificates. apparently, the ATC issues people certificates for completing the trail twice (i'm surprised and not, filtering out double applicants would involve more effort in verification than they probably want to get into, though to my reading the spirit of the certificate is you get it once for completing the trail, getting a 2nd is like getting two HS diplomas) but the fact that he has one that was printed one way and one that was printed another way in no way "certifies" that he thru hiked it once in each direction. by that logic, most section hikers who have completed the trail should send them back until they have finished it while always hiking in the same direction.

Journal Entries

not only that, but the notion that "springer to katahdin" and "katahdin to springer" certifies anything is 100% false. i, like many other section hikers, if we complete the trail it will be a mixed up hodge podge of directions and skipping around. if we apply for the certificate we will pick either "springer to katahdin" or "katahdin to springer" because we have to. they will print which one we pick, and it will signify nothing. the same is true of seeks it's 2 certificates. apparently, the ATC issues people certificates for completing the trail twice (i'm surprised and not, filtering out double applicants would involve more effort in verification than they probably want to get into, though to my reading the spirit of the certificate is you get it once for completing the trail, getting a 2nd is like getting two HS diplomas) but the fact that he has one that was printed one way and one that was printed another way in no way "certifies" that he thru hiked it once in each direction. by that logic, most section hikers who have completed the trail should send them back until they have finished it while always hiking in the same direction.
    There are no official records, and no need.
    Anyone can make their own certificate at home and print it out as well. Sign it by Donald Duck or Marilyn Monroe if you like, thats all it is, a piece of paper. Completing the trail isnt very exclusive anymore, or very intrigueing, or even very daring or adventurous. It cant be when you travel with 20 of your closest trail-family friends.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-28-2015 at 14:30.

-

but I do offer completion "certificates"

for only 2 easy payments of 29.95

Journal Entries
    Images

IMO, if you walked the entire trail in an out-and-back fashion, you've section hiked the trail in BOTH directions. Who cares if it wasn't a "traditional" thru (what's traditional? The trail wasn't meant to be an endurathon event). Some of you have to realize that not everyone has the free time or means or ability to drop what they're doing, save up thousands of dollars, take a six month vacation, and hike a trail the way some random stranger "dictates" it's supposed to be. Also, imagine what a section hiker has to put up with arranging and paying for shuttles, dropping off vehicles, and still maintaining everyday life obligations and it's wonderful chores at the homefront.

That being said, I HATE having to retrace my steps in the opposite direction, but I've certainly hiked repeat portions of the trail because it's so damn beautiful.

Some people need to stop splitting hairs about what constitutes what. It's not a competition. It's not a race. It's a personal endeavor that hould stay personal.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    IMO, if you walked the entire trail in an out-and-back fashion, you've section hiked the trail in BOTH directions. Who cares if it wasn't a "traditional" thru (what's traditional? The trail wasn't meant to be an endurathon event). Some of you have to realize that not everyone has the free time or means or ability to drop what they're doing, save up thousands of dollars, take a six month vacation, and hike a trail the way some random stranger "dictates" it's supposed to be. Also, imagine what a section hiker has to put up with arranging and paying for shuttles, dropping off vehicles, and still maintaining everyday life obligations and it's wonderful chores at the homefront.

That being said, I HATE having to retrace my steps in the opposite direction, but I've certainly hiked repeat portions of the trail because it's so damn beautiful.

Some people need to stop splitting hairs about what constitutes what. It's not a competition. It's not a race. It's a personal endeavor that hould stay personal.

This EXACTLY, Why be elitist about the trail? What happened to the "Hike Your Own Hike" mentality? Why is all this jealousy and judgement in this forum? Who cares if someone doesn't touch each and every whiteblaze?! I can get my "bag night" numbers up in my backyard. I can get my "miles traveled" up in my neighborhood. Shouldn't we all be celebrating that the hobby is getting more popular and people WANT to be a part of it? I understand that the trail can get crowded from time to time because of it but that only means more trails should pop up in the future. Do you think it takes away from your achievement in some way? Do you think it lessens the meaning of YOUR hike? Maybe if someone explained to me WHY they care THIS much I could attempt to understand. Until then, I think this type of attitude is silly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post

and some people should not worry about whether the hike they are planning on doing earns them one certificate or two or ten.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post
    Do you think it takes away from your achievement in some way? Do you think it lessens the meaning of YOUR hike?
    and do you think getting or not getting one certificate or two takes something away from a hike, or add to it?

and do you think getting or not getting one certificate or two takes something away from a hike, or add to it?
    Yes, for me personally it would add to my hike. I could show it to my family, I could hang it on my wall and remind me of the hike every day. Every time I saw that cert a memory or a feeling would hit me again.

Now that I have told you why a cert would matter to me. Tell me why my getting a cert would make you upset.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++