WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Section Hike as series of out and backs...double counting?

So, if each time I do a hike/section, I park in a lot, hike somewhere, and return, and do the whole trail this way, I will actually have hiked the whole thing twice....once north and once south. ...does it dount twice?
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    So, if each time I do a hike/section, I park in a lot, hike somewhere, and return, and do the whole trail this way, I will actually have hiked the whole thing twice....once north and once south. ...does it dount twice?
    dunno bout what "counts" but someone did this very thing in a single calendar year very recently.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    dunno bout what "counts" but someone did this very thing in a single calendar year very recently.

"Seeks It" in 2012. I crossed paths with him on the Kittatinny Ridge (NJ) on May 4. (I was section-hiker "Kit-Kat" that year.)

Images

I'm by no means an authority on the legalities of what counts on hiking the whole trail, but I'd say it counts twice.

Why wouldn't it count as north bound if you hike a trail section north and count as south bound from the turnaround point back to the starting point? I suspect there are quite a few people who do the trail this way and count it as both north and south bound mileage.

Images

It makes you a 2000 miler. Twice perhaps. Beyond that?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Enough people do slack packing the opposite direction and count it. I don't see why yours wouldn't.
    Yea! I know but some purist don't count slack packing. Hike it your way.

It does indeed count twice. "Seeks It" is a 2012 certified double thru-hiker: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=397139

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, that's cool. One day I will have the whole thing hiked...it will just take me a while.

Quote Originally Posted by kf1wv View Post
    It does indeed count twice. "Seeks It" is a 2012 certified double thru-hiker: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=397139

Journal Entries

Counts as what and to who?

Hiking back over the same ground every few days is dumb, unless its the only way someone can hike. I.e.
    limited funds and support means.

That time could be spent hiking elsewhere, seeing different things.

Of course, some people will do anything to get their name on a list.
    Last edited by Farr Away; 11-23-2015 at 17:11.

Like Tdoczi says, I don't know that it counts. What counts to me is how many days and nights you spend outdoors per year. Bag nights count, not trails hiked or miles walked.

There's something distinctly unsatisfying about having to retrace my steps on a single hike -- I really do prefer loops, or linear sections if they can be arranged. On the other hand, there are lots of trail miles I've walked multiple times, on purpose.

Bag nights? Who's counting, besides Tipi? I see "bag nights" as a necessary part of long distance hiking but not an end in and of itself. I appreciate a hot meal, shower, comfy bed every few days.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kf1wv View Post
    "certified double thru hiker"? who issues such certification?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Like Tdoczi says, I don't know that it counts. What counts to me is how many days and nights you spend outdoors per year. Bag nights count, not trails hiked or miles walked.
    my point was more that who cares what it (or anything else one would propose, including "bag nights") "counts" as. if you want to do it, do it. it doesnt need to be done so it can be "counted" by anyone. i think seeks it would probably agree.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    my point was more that who cares what it (or anything else one would propose, including "bag nights") "counts" as. if you want to do it, do it. it doesnt need to be done so it can be "counted" by anyone. i think seeks it would probably agree.
    Bag nights count due to my important theorem: Those outside are successful, those indoors are failures.

Journal Entries
    Images

I feel like there is some profound truth to that...

Bag nights count due to my important theorem: Those outside are successful, those indoors are failures.

Hyoh, but I disagree that it is a waste to cover the same ground. As a day hiker I often return down the mountain the same way as I went up. I always see things the 2nd time I missed the first, it is in many ways a different hike, at the very least you see the other side of the trees.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Hyoh, but I disagree that it is a waste to cover the same ground. As a day hiker I often return down the mountain the same way as I went up. I always see things the 2nd time I missed the first, it is in many ways a different hike, at the very least you see the other side of the trees.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptainkriz View Post
    I actually means that once you've done the entire trail this way you would become both a NOBO and SOBO thru-hiker at the same time. That's the way I see it.

"Bag nights" has no special meaning. If you want to impress people than do bag nights with no supplies. Live off the land. I don't care how many times you spend out in the woods, you are not a survivalist, your just someone that carried all your creature comforts out in to the woods.

P.S. I'm not speaking specifically to your camping strategy, this includes the most UL of hikers. So, this issue of bag nights is kind of meaningless, you're just surviving off the luxuries of modern civilization.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++