WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How low will a cannister go!

Hello to all,

I wanted to know how low temp wise will a canister stove that is inverted for liquid feed will go. It is a MSR windpro I believe that is set up for this, not me flipping a can upside down. I know what a regular cannister stove will do in 20 degree weather but not an inverted one.

I've got a canister in the freezer right now to see, but the temp I'm expecting to use this will probably be colder.

By putting this in liquid feed, does it chew through more fuel in boiling snow?

Any information pertaining to this subject would be greatly appreciated and very welcome.

Hope all have a great Thanksgiving!

Best,
    Floyd

Images

Not sure what temp your freezer is at, but mine runs right around zero F. I've used my inverted canister stove in below zero weather, maybe down to 10F below or so, works just fine. It does use significantly more fuel than a regular (upright) canister stove (useless below 20F though), not sure why, but take plenty of fuel. My wife and I chew through an 8oz (of fuel) canister or more a day. The rule of thumb for cold trips when you're melting all you water is approx. 6 oz of fuel per person per day. I find this is conservative for liquid stoves, but about right for inverted canisters.

FWIW, given the relatively high fuel use in bitter cold, I revert to my liquid fuel stove for all but very short winter trips. I'm convinced liquid fuel stoves are more efficient fuel-use wise in bitter cold, even with today's inverted canister systems. Inverted canisters are still pretty convenient though, hence why we use them for shorter trips, like one or two nights.

Default Upright canister in the cold

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Hello to all,

I wanted to know how low temp wise will a canister stove that is inverted for liquid feed will go. It is a MSR windpro I believe that is set up for this, not me flipping a can upside down. I know what a regular cannister stove will do in 20 degree weather but not an inverted one.

I've got a canister in the freezer right now to see, but the temp I'm expecting to use this will probably be colder.

By putting this in liquid feed, does it chew through more fuel in boiling snow?

Any information pertaining to this subject would be greatly appreciated and very welcome.

Hope all have a great Thanksgiving!

Best,
    Floyd
    For an upright (canister top mounted) stove, you can use some 20 mil (0.020") copper strip, 1 inch wide, to make a heat exchanger strip to shunt some heat from the burner to the canister. The strip is attached to the canister with a Velcro strap, insulated with a small piece of silicone sheet. When it gets really cold, it works even better if you also have a closed-cell foam cozy for the canister. I've used this set-up successfully down to -6°F with a JB MiniMo, a Snow Peak Giga and a BRS-3000T.

There is a fairly long thread about this on BPL which I will link once the BPL server migration is complete...

Photo of a MiniMo being used in very cold weather in the Daks. Using a small canister, it operated quite well without a canister cozy. The second photo is of the MiniMo being used with a Sumo companion cup around 0°F in the Catskills.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Nice work cmoulder. Thanks for the tip.

GG

Very cool!

Im not certain the copper pipe will work with my msr super fly. How hot does that pipe get?
    got to ask,the pipe is used to keep the canister warm?
    I would use a liquid fuel except this is with BSA and they are from what I'm told prohibiting the use of white gas.
    I always have used alky stoves, so I do not have a liquid fuel...... But I may look to buy one (hint)
    Thank you for all the good hints and information
    Best
    floyd

You have been misinformed in regards to the BSA and white gas. At least as a general policy. Circumstances vary based on situation obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfloyd View Post
    Very cool!

Im not certain the copper pipe will work with my msr super fly. How hot does that pipe get?
    got to ask,the pipe is used to keep the canister warm?
    I would use a liquid fuel except this is with BSA and they are from what I'm told prohibiting the use of white gas.
    I always have used alky stoves, so I do not have a liquid fuel...... But I may look to buy one (hint)
    Thank you for all the good hints and information
    Best
    floyd
    It's actually a strip, not a pipe. It will absolutely work with a Superfly.

The strip gets too hot to touch (about 150°F) but will not overheat the canister. This past summer — just to replicate worst-case scenarios — I conducted some tests with the strip and cozy at 75°F ambient temperatures, running the stoves at full-tilt for 1/2 hour or more. No overheating problems. Canisters are required per DOT regs to reach 150°F (overall canister temperature) without exploding, and even using the strip and the canister in the cozy they never got anywhere close to that temperature.

I tested this a lot last winter, both in my "lab" (my back deck, lol) and in the winter woods, and it just works. The whole exercise was inspired after my utter dismay with the lack of cold-weather performance from the MSR Reactor. Ironically, the HX strip doesn't work with Reactor/Windburner because of their design, but it works great with many other burners.

Journal Entries
    Images

@cmoulder, that's cool!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Just Tom,
    That is what I was told by our Council in the area.

Cmoulder,

That is very cool, and you are right. It will work with the stove I have. Just got it out, and looked at it. I'm assuming you got the silicone sheet at a hardware store?

Very cool indeed!
    Floyd

If you are willing to share what you were told in detail, please PM me. I volunteer with scouting out here.

Separately, that stove mod looks awesome and I'm going to have to try that on my MiniMo.

Default HX Strip materials (and OT: local BSA re WG)

I can understand why a local Council might have issues with WG... try to imagine the average 10-yr-old fueling, assembling, pressurizing, priming and running a Whisperlite. Plenty of adults can't even handle that job. Scuff an o-ring and get a fuel leak, or clog a jet, or break the pump cap, and most are totally clueless because almost nobody reads instructions any more.

Silicone sheet is probably available at the local hardware store, but my first one was a piece from one of those refillable squeeze containers, then a sheet from an ice tray cover from Bed, Bath & Beyond, then some more durable, hi-temp stuff from McMaster-Carr, part number 5787T11. Copper strip from Basic Copper, Velcro cinch straps from Campmor, part number 21848. The cozy is made from 3/8" CCF pieces glued together with Weldwood contact cement.

@ Cmoulder: what gauge is that copper strip? Like supermarket aluminum foil? Like roof flashing from Home Depot? Or something thicker?

thanks!

4r

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I can understand why a local Council might have issues with WG... try to imagine the average 10-yr-old fueling, assembling, pressurizing, priming and running a Whisperlite. Plenty of adults can't even handle that job. Scuff an o-ring and get a fuel leak, or clog a jet, or break the pump cap, and most are totally clueless because almost nobody reads instructions any more.
    That would be Cub Scouts...Boy Scouts are more in the 12 to 17 year old range, and when camping in New England outdoors every single month of the year, white gas becomes a near necessity for certain trips. The white-gas fueled Whisperlite is also the recommended stove for use a Philmont, so it would not be beneficial for an entire council to restrict its usage. I could go on, but I'm trying not to take this thread off topic more than I have already caused it to be

Journal Entries

Keep it in your jacket and cannister works in all conditions, for short duration cooking. Melting snow, no.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
    @ Cmoulder: what gauge is that copper strip? Like supermarket aluminum foil? Like roof flashing from Home Depot? Or something thicker?

thanks!

4r
    It's 20 mil, which is 0.020", more like aluminum roof flashing which commonly measures 0.025". However, you want copper, and I'm guessing you might be able to buy small quantities at Home Depot, etc, or Grainger, or local hardware, plumbing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Keep it in your jacket and cannister works in all conditions, for short duration cooking. Melting snow, no.
    With the copper strip, you can leave it out all night at 0°F and it will start in the morning and within a couple of minutes it'll be chugging along at full speed.

However, there are 2 factors to consider. When a larger canister gets pretty low on fuel there is little propane remaining in the mix, so the canister might need a tiny amount of warming (5 seconds of a Bic flame on the base of the canister) in order to light the stove. And the larger canister has more surface area and therefore gives up more heat to the ambient environment, hence the CCF cozy. In any event, once the stove is started, even a small amount of flame from the burner gets the feedback loop going and the stove is soon running full tilt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    That would be Cub Scouts...Boy Scouts are more in the 12 to 17 year old range, and when camping in New England outdoors every single month of the year, white gas becomes a near necessity for certain trips. The white-gas fueled Whisperlite is also the recommended stove for use a Philmont, so it would not be beneficial for an entire council to restrict its usage. I could go on, but I'm trying not to take this thread off topic more than I have already caused it to be
    Just adding a bit more....

A local Council may have such a ban at their camps. However, I've found such "bans" are the result of some well-meaning, or unknowing person who passes on such information with no basis in fact. As Just Tom says, the Whisperlite is recommended for Philmont - a BSA National High Adventure Base. The BSA "Guide to Safe Scouting" (the nationally-published "safety" manual) says:

"Recommended chemical fuels
    —White gas (Coleman fuel); kerosene; liquefied petroleum gas fuels, including propane, butane, and isobutane; vegetable oil fuels; biodiesel fuel; and commercially prepared gelled-alcohol fuel in original containers."

Notice what's listed first. Some Councils mandate that excess fuels be stored at a central location at their camps. That's kind of hard to do when backpacking
    I've been in Scouting a number of years and have run into this quite a few times. Sorry for the off-topic detour...

cmoulder,

Thank you sharing this information down to the part number. I'm going to get the parts and try this myself.
    Thank you!!!!

I will call my local council for the information one more time......

Thank you all for you good information and your willingness to share it!
    Best,
    Floyd

Well
    took a trip down to Lowes. Nada on all parts. Time to have a look see at Home Depot. Just a thought would carbon felt be an applicable replacement for the silicone ? I ask so I can tinker around with my alky stove.
    Floyd

Carbon felt will work; I know someone who's done it.

However, if you look around Bed, Bath & Beyond there are oodles of items containing silicone sheet these days.

That's a common issue with these small projects... getting together small amounts of somewhat unusual bits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++