WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hikers give back to the Appalachian Trail - WVLT

WVLT

Hikers give back to the Appalachian Trail
    WVLT
    APPALACHIAN TRAIL, Tenn. (WVLT)- Sandy Bell is used to getting his hands dirty. He knows getting the job done requires time and dedication. He's been retired for several years, "30 years in the Navy," said Bell. But he's still serving, just not on the ...

More...

For three years I have helped pack in the equipment and supplies for the Rocky Top Crew. There may be as many as 8 or 9 horsemen (with riding horse and pack animal) hauling equipment and supplies up to the volunteers on the AT. Each week a resupply of food is delivered by two horsemen and at the end of the season is "The Great Pack Out " that brings everything back out. These loads all have to be weighed, balanced and tied on carefully as the trail is narrow and rocky. The horsemen (and women) that participate are mostly members of The Backcountry Horsemen of America. They do hundreds of hours of trail maintenance and hold many certifications as well as being some of the best horse packers in the region. I'm so proud to be a part of the Rocky Top Crew volunteers, they are a great group.

Linda

Images

What a really wonderful article/broadcast! And thank you, PackHorse, for your part in it all. Trail volunteers are amazing people!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

++ New Posts ++