WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Granite Gear Latitude Vapor and Nimbus Latitude

Does anyone have experience with the Latitude Vapor or Nimbus Latitude? I like the panel loading idea but have never used one on a hike.

I have the Lattitude Vapor, and like it. I am now a complete convert to panel loading, no more digging in my pack. There is an internal compression system which holds the items inside together, so you can open the panel and the contents don't fall out. For me it was a good decision, I needed more room than the popular Vapor Trail, and didn't like the idea of the extension collar stacked up to the roof. This pack has the same suspension, and the weight is acceptable to me.

I just received mine yesterday, and I probably won't get a chance to test drive it until after Christmas. The center-zip opening is quite different from conventional panel loading designs. It also has an unusual feature called a "Hidden Lid" that I was not aware of when I ordered it....it's a quick detachable "pocket" with a foam bottom. It rest at the top of the pack (on the inside) and can be quickly removed .....much like an internal top lid. For what it's worth, I bought mine from Backcountry Gear Ltd for $135 w/free shipping. Since I wasn't sure I'd keep it after close examination, I was reluctant to purchase from sources without a return policy. There's a vendor on Ebay selling for $99 with the "BUY IT NOW" option, which is a good price if you're sure of your purchase. It feels OK loaded, so I can't wait to give it a try soon.

Images

Thanks gents, appreciate the feedback.

Images

My only concern is the suspension on the Lat. Vapor. I have a short torso but have about a 42" chest and 35" waist. Short and stocky, as they say. I don't know if the short torso model will fit me in the waist and shoulder/chest.
    The Nimubs Latitude has an adjustable suspension so no worries with it.

Default nimbus latitude

I love this pack! I carried around 30 pounds on a thruhike of the wonderland trail and it felt so comfortable. I highly recommend the vertical zip pockets that allow you to get at your gear during breaks. The zips really help keep everything better organized and allow you not to have to unload everything out of the pack to get to an item at the bottom If you can live with the extra 1.5 lbs of weight over the Vapor Trail the beefier supension truly is wonderful!

The only thing that I think is a problem may be the lack of outside storage. The outside pockets are not very large and are difficult to use. There is a compression strap that runs over the outside of the pockets and makes getting anything in or out difficult. For me it is impossible to have access to anything in the pockets while I am hiking. Not that I really needed it unless I am trying to get a drink out of my waterbottle. I hope this is helpful.

I am selling a Nimbus Latitude w/ the Granite Gear cloud rain cover for $100 on the gear forum on this site. The buyer pays the shipping. ****The review of this pack is in no way based of my desire to sell the pack!*** I am currently using a Golite Gust and love it. If you want to go ultralight, but still want to have a lot of volume for gear with a decent load transfering system check out the Gust!

Images

Default Decided on the Latitude Vapor

Just ordered the Lat. Vapor on Monday from Backcountrygear for $135. Since I have been using a Gregory Forester, which doesn't have much outside storage either, I don't think it will be a problem for me. Thanks for the info. Good luck on selling your Nimbus Latitude.
    't
    Quote Originally Posted by dstenberg1
    I love this pack! I carried around 30 pounds on a thruhike of the wonderland trail and it felt so comfortable. I highly recommend the vertical zip pockets that allow you to get at your gear during breaks. The zips really help keep everything better organized and allow you not to have to unload everything out of the pack to get to an item at the bottom If you can live with the extra 1.5 lbs of weight over the Vapor Trail the beefier supension truly is wonderful!

The only thing that I think is a problem may be the lack of outside storage. The outside pockets are not very large and are difficult to use. There is a compression strap that runs over the outside of the pockets and makes getting anything in or out difficult. For me it is impossible to have access to anything in the pockets while I am hiking. Not that I really needed it unless I am trying to get a drink out of my waterbottle. I hope this is helpful.

I am selling a Nimbus Latitude w/ the Granite Gear cloud rain cover for $100 on the gear forum on this site. The buyer pays the shipping. ****The review of this pack is in no way based of my desire to sell the pack!*** I am currently using a Golite Gust and love it. If you want to go ultralight, but still want to have a lot of volume for gear with a decent load transfering system check out the Gust!

I ordered the Granite Gear Virga from Harpers Ferry store on ebay and after I got it realized I dont think it will do with the no frame so I got a Vapor coming and hope it works for me as this is my first real hike and I read good reviews as the #1 thru hiker pack for at least 40% of AT hikers

On the Vapor, the part that is touching your back..is that completely soft or is there some sort of a support panel in there? Considering going with a lighter pack.
    ad astra per aspera

Default Latitude Vapor

Quote Originally Posted by Teatime
    Just ordered the Lat. Vapor on Monday from Backcountrygear for $135. Since I have been using a Gregory Forester, which doesn't have much outside storage either, I don't think it will be a problem for me. Thanks for the info. Good luck on selling your Nimbus Latitude.
    't
    How is the Lat. Vapor working for you? I just ordered from backcountrygear as well...a little Christmas present for myself.
    -Leo

Images

Ordered the wrong size and had to send back. Hopefully, should have replacement by sometime next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by New Bee
    How is the Lat. Vapor working for you? I just ordered from backcountrygear as well...a little Christmas present for myself.
    -Leo

Northbound section hiker, GA --> Eastern NY

Default Nimbus Latitude

I used a Nimbus Latitude this summer, going from Springer to Sinking Creek Valley over two months. I carried about 30 lb, give or take 5 depending on food, and it worked very well for me. The panel loading feature is great, and I'd find it hard to give that up if I ever went to another pack. The way I packed it was to lay it on its side, put the large items in first, fill up the remaining small spaces with ziplocs containing my food, and then zip it most of the way up and finish packing from the top.

For me, the lack of zippered pockets was a plus -- it made it easier to keep track of things. The awkward placement of the compression straps around the side was only a minor issue. I kept a 2L bladder in one and a 1L bottle in the other. (I put the compression strap through the bladder's hanging loop to keep it in place.) The only time I had to deal with the side pockets was when the bladder was empty. It's awkward but possible to pull a Nalgene out and replace it without removing the pack. I got in the habit of putting a Snickers next to the water bottle in the side pocket so it was easy to reach.

As others have observed, the zippers appear to be indestructible, and the stretchy material that the side panel is made of reduces strain on the zippers. It also makes it easier to close the pack. The suspension and the compression straps were good and I thought the amount of padding was just right. The shoulder straps tend to trap odor, but it's not that big of a deal. The detachable inner pocket seemed extraneous. I left it at home and never missed it. The only mildly annoying thing was that the flaps that cover the adjustment grommets tended to poke me in the back when I first put on the pack. Loosening the load lifters and slowly tightening them basically solves the problem. As the trip progressed and I got more used to the pack, this stopped happening for the most part. After 660 miles the pack is still in great shape.

I was glad I followed the advice about waiting to buy a pack until you have the rest of your gear together. I took all my gear and five days of food to the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry and tried both the Vapor Trail and Nimbus Latitude. For me, the better suspension and extra volume of the Nimbus Latitude created a clear advantage over the Vapor Trail.

Phil

Took the Lat. Vapor out this past week! This is one heck of a bag. I love it. The internal compression straps held everything, and I definitely over stuffed it and it held together nicely. It was so very comfortable. The internal lid I was not sure of at first, but now I think it's an asset. There's space between the bag and the padding for the suspension system that I was able to stuff a tarp into. I love the panel loading system! So much better than taking everything out to get to one little item.

Images

I did finally get my Lat. Vapor from Backcountry Gear. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but am encouraged by your post, New Bee. I'm planning on taking my son out for a few days on the trail during his Spring Break, which is at the end of March, and think that will be a good trial for my new pack.

Images

Default Latitude Vapor owner

Just wondering, for those who now own a Granite Gear pack, the Latitude or whatever; what do you think now of the pockets?

I think they are totally more effective than anything out there. I can't reach back there on the trail anyway, and I suppose if I could, I might think otherwise. What other pack pocket is equally as effective at having nothing in it (for minimalists), as it is for carrying two nalgene bottles? Then you have the extra security of having the compression strap run over it to secure items while on the trail.

I almost didn't look at this pack because of pocket concerns, and it amazes me now that some owner reviews still list the side pockets as a negative issue.

Quote Originally Posted by scope
    Just wondering, for those who now own a Granite Gear pack, the Latitude or whatever; what do you think now of the pockets?

I think they are totally more effective than anything out there. I can't reach back there on the trail anyway, and I suppose if I could, I might think otherwise. What other pack pocket is equally as effective at having nothing in it (for minimalists), as it is for carrying two nalgene bottles? Then you have the extra security of having the compression strap run over it to secure items while on the trail.

I almost didn't look at this pack because of pocket concerns, and it amazes me now that some owner reviews still list the side pockets as a negative issue.
    I have a Lat Vapor, and bought it for the panel access. The side pockets are a trouble for me since the compression straps are on the outside of the pocket as you know. I'm thinking of slitting the pocket and threading the straps under the pockets. I use a dromedary for water, but I still like easy access to the "essentials" in the pockets.

Images

I can't help but think this view is somewhat related to what we think pockets are supposed to be, as opposed to how the pockets are designed with the pack. Do you reach back there on the trail for your bottle of water or other items? That is the only way I see the straps as an issue and I can't perform that move with any degree of ease that wouldn't make it worthwhile to remove the pack. Certainly if you're concerned with compression, perhaps you may not be able to compress as much as you otherwise would with stuff stored in the pockets. In that case, the slit idea is probably a good one. Frankly, I don't see compression in the bottom of this pack as an issue. So, I still have to wonder what is so bad about the straps?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Thumbs up 99.44% satisfied

Quote Originally Posted by scope
    I can't help but think this view is somewhat related to what we think pockets are supposed to be, as opposed to how the pockets are designed with the pack. Do you reach back there on the trail for your bottle of water or other items? That is the only way I see the straps as an issue and I can't perform that move with any degree of ease that wouldn't make it worthwhile to remove the pack. Certainly if you're concerned with compression, perhaps you may not be able to compress as much as you otherwise would with stuff stored in the pockets. In that case, the slit idea is probably a good one. Frankly, I don't see compression in the bottom of this pack as an issue. So, I still have to wonder what is so bad about the straps?
    The straps over the pockets are my only complaint. It does seem counter to the easy access that the zipper panel offers. If the designers meant to place them over the pockets in an effort to restrict usage and therefore lower weight, they win. An obvious design flaw that I'll work around for a long time since I'm very pleased otherwise.

Sorry, I don't see the straps as a design flaw, and I own a Latitude Vapor. I see the flaps as being specifically designed that way, and for a purpose. I can't "reach around" (insert "reach around joke of your choice here) and grab anything out of the pockets while wearing the pack anyways, so what's the point. It holds whatever is in there very well, nothing falls out. Compression issue, perhaps, but there are internal compression straps that take up most of the load anyway. In my opinion, people just aren't used to it, find it somewhat wierd/inconvenient, and therefore think something is wrong. Truse me, they know that the straps are an issue to some people, yet they continue to make them. There must be something to it...

-- BW

Quote Originally Posted by Beachwalker
    Sorry, I don't see the straps as a design flaw, and I own a Latitude Vapor. I see the STRAPS as being specifically designed that way, and for a purpose. I can't "reach around" (insert "reach around joke of your choice here) and grab anything out of the pockets while wearing the pack anyways, so what's the point. It holds whatever is in there very well, nothing falls out. Compression issue, perhaps, but there are internal compression straps that take up most of the load anyway. In my opinion, people just aren't used to it, find it somewhat wierd/inconvenient, and therefore think something is wrong. Truse me, they know that the straps are an issue to some people, yet they continue to make them. There must be something to it...

-- BW
    Did I say FLAPS, make that STRAPS... jeezis... can't edit my own posts...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++