WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dehydrating personal meals

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but a great series of recipes have been done on a youtube channel. Search on Babelfish5. He has some great renditions of tuna casserole, beef stroganoff, and chicken & rice.

Check it out

Images

I did. Lots of nice things to try there. Good find, Hosh, thanks!

Your welcome, I've been doing my own main dishes for about 5 years. His recipes are pretty easy. I have been storing everything in mason jars that I vacuum seal and then store in my freezer.

I've had hamburger gravel last over 3 years.

Images

Didn't realize you could vacuum pack jars. I'd bet it really would extend the life of stored food. I'll have to check it out. I played with dehydration off and on for a few years with a cheap "as seen on TV!" brand dehydrator. Got serious enough with it to justify a last year model Excalibur. Really improved the quality of my dried stuff!

The Excalibur is the Cadillac of dehydrators. Some of the FoodSaver vacuum sealers have a canister option. You can buy a separate jar sealer, http://www.foodsaver.com/jar-sealers...76970x57127330 that can be used on Mason jars. It's really handy for dehydrated foods and things like rice, flour etc. My wife and I can tomatoes, pickles and salsas, so we have lots of spare jars sitting around.

Images

Got ours cheap! New model came out and Amazon had the old one cut rate. Also saved $100 by getting the one without the timer. Wandered out to the workshop and found one of our old timers you plug into the wall and plug a lamp into so people think you're home (and have exactly the same routine each night!). Thanks for the link on the foodsaver; it's going to come in handy.

I use a Nesco, it's adequate but doesn't dry everything consistently. The inner ring takes longer than than outer diameter. It's not a really big deal since I tend to over dry things. Occasionally I'll move things around to even it all out. I generally run the unit over night so I don't feel the need for a timer.

++ New Posts ++