WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default I know your not a Doctor

If you are I apologize. I just recently started devolving a heat related rash on my ankles and top of my foot.

I've been using Smart Wool PH.D. Socks when I hike. Some portions of the area have never been exposed when hiking like the top of my foot. Lower ankle typically covered by gaiters.

My hikes have been getting increasing longer and most tend to be in Florida.

Thoughts on causes?

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

Journal Entries

Sensitivity to soap residue?

Images

Years ago I had a rash on my ankles like that. Ended up being an allergic reaction to some new socks. Was advised by the Dr. to wash all new socks before wearing them. He said some give off some chemicals from the elastic and these are usually washed out. I make a habit of washing my new socks now, and have never had a recurrence.

Images

Many different causes from an allergic reaction to a substance such as soap detergent to peripheral artery disease to lower extremities . Only your doctor could determine if it's serious or not.
    Change what you can starting with soap powder, socks . Then take notice when it occurs; i.e. after long hikes , if it affects only one or both lower extremities and if it feels hot to the touch or is swollen.
    This can help narrow the root cause(s) and cure. Likely not serious but do get it checked out if it continues.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Years ago I had a rash on my ankles like that. Ended up being an allergic reaction to some new socks. Was advised by the Dr. to wash all new socks before wearing them. He said some give off some chemicals from the elastic and these are usually washed out. I make a habit of washing my new socks now, and have never had a recurrence.
    Many years ago I had the identical reaction to some new socks... now, I always wash them, as well as underwear, etc...

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I went through something this year that looked very similar. I thought it was heat rash...but, that didn't make a lot of sense to me...but that's what I thought it was...so I began experimenting with different socks (silk liners/darn tough/injinji)...but no success...still occurred. It did not hurt or itch (or swell)- but looked as if it did! (No exaggeration here: It looked like I had received serious burns years ago). I finally came to the conclusion that my rash was a very mild reaction to a plant- it's the only thing that made sense. I'm guessing it was Virginia Creeper. Later in the year, as temps cooled and the plant receded...no rash. Still using same socks.

So, for me, it's just a hunch...will have to wait till Spring/Summer to see if it returns. The rash was well above (4 to 5 inches) and below the sock/gaiter level...that's why I'm kinda ruling out heat rash personally...but it is still pretty confusing...

The one thing that pointed me in the plant direction was: everything gets washed between trips. But, I didn't wash my dirty girls between 2 particular trips...and the rash seemed fairly pronounced after the second trip...so I jumped to the conclusion that it was leftover plant residue from the previous trip.

But, who knows? I'd love to see a doctor about it if necessary next year but loathe taking the time to do so when such time away from work should be spent hiking!

(just to add: the rash was always gone by about day 3)
    Last edited by ChrisJackson; 11-28-2015 at 08:01.
    hikers gonna hike

Images

I am a doctor who have not been practicing medicine for more than 10 years so I am rusty at best but to me it looks like a contact dermatitis. Determining the cause of it is not easy.

Do they disappear when you apply pressure on them? ( like pressing a piece of transparent subject like a glass or coke bottles ?

Journal Entries

I have been getting the same rashes also....and I have also been doing LD daily hikes in Florida, on the beach....usually 8-12 miles per hike. The rashes don't itch, the skin is not hot or tender to the touch, and is usually gone the next day; and, I am not wearing new socks....I am just wearing a pair of trail runners (New Balance Fresh Foam 980's) and a hiking sock. ????????

I have frequently gotten that kind of a rash around my ankles. It looks angry but doesn't itch or hurt at all and vanishes the next day. I was told it was either heat (and if you're wearing high socks plus gaiters that is quite likely) or a reaction to the elastic in the sock uppers. Perhaps as my legs swell when it's warm the elastic constricts more than when it's cooler. When I started wearing ankle socks with running shoes, I stopped getting the rash.

I noticed that the washing instructions for my new Darn Tough Socks say to turn them inside out before washing them.Makes more sense now............

++ New Posts ++