WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rain gear choice discussion

Im thinking about using The Packa along with Zpacks Challenger Rain pants.... possibly the Zpacks Challenger Rain Gaiters for my thru hike. What rain gear do you prefer and why?

Images

Campmor ultralight poncho. Sometimes rain pants (I don't remember the brand), if lots of rain is in the forecast (which it usually is when I hike). Covers the pack, and I have an extra tarp if needed.

I like a rain jacket and pants when it's chilly, and a poncho in the summer. The jackets are all too hot to hike in during the summer. The. Pants are too hot to hike in except when it's winter or the shoulder season.

I use a first generation Zpacks rain jacket and their cuben rain kilt. 8 ounces of protection.

I use the Precip Jacket and a light 55 gallon garbage bag with a duct taped shock cord waist, bag is surprising tough. I hike in cooler weather and the jacket works well as a wind break, as well as adds warmth on those cold morning. The light weight dri ducks worked well also, however very easy to tear, pants did not breathe at all.

Images

LightHeart Gear rain wrap - on sale now - also a great rain jacket and rain pants are available. The Hoodie pack cover is really great for summer time when you don't want a jacket, but want to keep the rain off your head and shoulders.

I have heard of a lot of people using kilts or wraps and just going on with wet feet. I've been told no matter what I'm going to end up walking countless miles with wet feet. Personally how is your hiking affected and what do you do about your wet feet?

I use a 1.50 Walmart poncho and a 4 dollar umbrella hat. Every raincoat I've had/tried I end up soaked in sweat anyway. The coat ends up stinking and being sent home and or thrown out. The poncho doubles as a windbreaker and costs next to nothing to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by mksapp View Post
    I have heard of a lot of people using kilts or wraps and just going on with wet feet. I've been told no matter what I'm going to end up walking countless miles with wet feet. Personally how is your hiking affected and what do you do about your wet feet?
    For the most part you are gonna have wet feet much of the time it rains. I did hike with one guy who wore waterproof mid top boots and calf length gaiters through the entire trail and I believe he was mostly successful at keeping his feet dry from rain, maybe not so much from sweat. I used a rain kilt and
    just got my feet soaked all the time. My hiking wasn't affected much at all, if you've got a fit issue causing blisters or hot spots they'll probably be worse in the rain but that's about it. Your feet will look like ghostly raisins at the end of the day, a liberal helping of gold bond and dry sleeping socks before crawling into your bag makes it all better.

I used the Packa for years. I liked the all in one poncho and pack cover, but I never really fell in love with it. Now that I got my money's worth, I switched to a traditional pack cover and no rain clothes unless it is going to be cold out. Then I like the Patagonia Storm Racer jacket.

Anybody ever used a Snugpak Patrol Poncho? Seems sort of like a cheap a** version of the Packa, but more ponchoish.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    Hoodie pack cover is really great for summer time when you don't want a jacket, but want to keep the rain off your head and shoulders.
    In the summer, I only worry about my pack getting wet. My newest (and favorite!) pack did not come with a rain fly, so I pirated one from another pack. I think this Hoodie pack cover thing might work well as a pack cover. If I don't have the hoody up, does it ruin the pack cover affect?

According to my notes, the zpacks rain pants are 3.8 oz at $165. The montbell rain pants are 3.3 oz and $50 (japanese version). American version of the montbell rain pants probably weigh a little more and cost a little more, but are still compelling. I believe the japanese version has a shorter inseam which results in a slightly lower weight, which is fine with me.

Most cases of hypothermia happen in rainy conditions, and i have had a my own experience with that, so despite my sub 8 pound summer base weight, i do carry some extra raingear. i have montbell rain jacket and pants, plus silnylon poncho, plus waterproof gloves, plus a hat that isn't waterproof, but keeps rain off my face. How much i wear depends on the temperature.

I noticed if you allow yourself to get cold enough for your hands to go numb and stop working, it isn't so easy to get warmed up again. Just putting on warm clothes is painfully slow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I think this Hoodie pack cover thing might work well as a pack cover. If I don't have the hoody up, does it ruin the pack cover affect?
    BLUE1.jpgthis is the Hoodie Pack Cover with the cape and hood tucked away

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    I think this Hoodie pack cover thing might work well as a pack cover. If I don't have the hoody up, does it ruin the pack cover affect?
    BLUE1.jpgBLUE2.jpgthis is the Hoodie Pack Cover with the cape and hood tucked away and deployed.

Patagonia runner's wind/rain shirt, Liteflex umbrella, ugly homemade silnylon rain mitts and wrap around rain kilt with a basic velcro closure, and a few inches of stretchy elastic, to replace the trash bag I was using.

Lot's of ventilation options, not so great in high wind. The umbrella keeps the glasses clearer than a dedicated rain hat. The feet get wet during the day, and pampered at night.

Quote Originally Posted by mksapp View Post
    I just let my feet get wet, but I wear thicker wool socks so that my feet stay warm. If it stops raining, I change into dry socks. I hate walking around with squishing feet. I seem to lose to much skin that way...

If you want to keep your feet dry enough to minimize blisters in all-day rain for 3 days straight ---- then I'd recommend "going old school". I've hiked in week-long rains with 6" leather hiking boots that come up to just above the ankle bone (waterproofed with mink oil or snow seal), and a 1/4" thick rag wool sock + wicking liner sock combo - and not had my feet feel wet, or get pruny. My guess is that gortex boots would work the same way.

I think the 1/4" rag wool sock is the key - it has to be thick enough to absorb the sweat from your foot all day.

But now days, I prefer 1 lb hiking shoes over 3-4 lb boots more than I prefer dry feet.

In warmer weather, I also prefer the cool feeling of non gortex (breathable) shoes over the hot feeling of gortex shoes. It's not a huge problem either way though.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Frogg Toggs / Dri Ducks. Excellent wind & rain protection as well as a wonderful shell layer to trap heat in camp. They wear out 1/2 way through a thru hike, and its only another $20 for a fresh suit. Bam.

I've not had a ton of experience hiking in prolonged rain. To me, keeping my pack dry and my core warm is key. Anything else is just a bonus. Your body will get wet from rain or sweat or both.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    Frogg Toggs / Dri Ducks. Excellent wind & rain protection as well as a wonderful shell layer to trap heat in camp. They wear out 1/2 way through a thru hike, and its only another $20 for a fresh suit. Bam.
    +1. They are bulky and ugly but they're breathable, keep out the rain, and add a bit of warmth which is often welcome in a cold rain. Also good around camp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++