WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Lots of great suggestions and comments!

In the weeks ahead, I hope to learn more about the boy's hearing impairment, when it occurred and whether he has any hearing at all. I look forward to one day having a conversation with him in sign language.

Most of our hiking will be in proximity to civilization (with phone signals), so Bronk's idea of a cell phone in his pocket is a really good one. Whistle, chalkboard (or notepad), buddy system, parent present, staff learning to sign... plenty for us to think about and work on. I especially appreciated Johnnybgood's comments about his blind daughter traveling internationally during high school. Obviously the urban setting presents different challenges, but they are very significant ones! One advantage he'll have in camp is that he won't get scared listening to all the night critters.

So far, it seems that the only safety concern regarding this kid is to avoid getting lost. If there's some other situation we should be thinking about, please share. I can't think of a wildlife or weather situation that would require us to prepare differently than we would for unimpaired children.
    You say he has two implants so he should be able to hear and is progressing in school and at home. When you meet him you'll be surprised at what he can hear. All will go well......you won't let him get lost ;-)

I have an implant so I know a little about what can be expected. I have 2 young friends that had implants at a very early age and have watched them progress over the years and have talked to their parents extensively concerning their hearing loss.

By his age he knows that he is differently abled. Ask him what he needs. Maybe spend a little time on Utube and learn a little sign language.
    In nursing school I had a 6 yr. old teach me how to take blood pressure on his leg. This kid knows what he needs, just be willing to listen.

in our scout troop we had to count off after a whistle before anyone moved, on a bus on a hike after a break at every meal, before bed and always use the buddy systemat all times. I would second the use of a whistle for everyone including the leaders. our troop had multiple members with chalanges and it was a learning experence for everyone. I know that this does not need to be said o anyone on WB, everyone deserves to learn to love the outdoors and work to find out what the person needs to be happy and successful. my two cents for what it is worth

Suggestion not directly related. Every week spend a few minutes during the troop meeting teaching all the kids 2 or 3 new signs. The better he can communicate with kids his own age rather than just his parents and some other adults the better.
    It
    Most kids will love learning just so they can talk to him. For others the benefit will be being able to talk to other troop mates in the church or library or the secret code aspect if their school teachers don't know sign language.

Start with things like hello, that was fun, want to play tag, etc.

And the better he can communicate with other kids the safer, as well. Would you rather hear I don't know where he went he just wandered off or he went to the bathroom?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I will be heading up a church-affiliated co-ed scouting type kid's group next year. One of the children we expect to serve is about 7 years old, and is deaf with two cochlear implants. Except for his parents, none of our staff are capable of communicating with him, so I expect one or both parents to be with him each time we meet.

Naturally, some of our activities will including hiking and camping. Ninety-nine percent of the time, there should be no problems keeping him safe. It's that one percent I'm thinking about. If he were ever lost, I'd hate to think of the stressful search for a child that can't hear you calling... Have any of you ever been responsible for a deaf child on the trail? Lessons learned? Unanticipated situations? Potential hazards that we might not be considering?
    Well, one rule that BSA has is that all boys have buddies, and that the buddy be in close proximity whenever they are outside. A deaf boy with a hearing buddy might work.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Just as a side comment, most of the time when I'm approached by a begger, I simply sign " Sorry! I'm deaf" usually shuts them down.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Just as a side comment, most of the time when I'm approached by a begger, I simply sign " Sorry! I'm deaf" usually shuts them down.
    I must find a way to use this with telemarketers...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Suggestion not directly related. Every week spend a few minutes during the troop meeting teaching all the kids 2 or 3 new signs. The better he can communicate with kids his own age rather than just his parents and some other adults the better.
    It
    Most kids will love learning just so they can talk to him. For others the benefit will be being able to talk to other troop mates in the church or library or the secret code aspect if their school teachers don't know sign language.

Start with things like hello, that was fun, want to play tag, etc.

And the better he can communicate with other kids the safer, as well. Would you rather hear I don't know where he went he just wandered off or he went to the bathroom?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    One of my work associates is hearing-impaired, though not nearly to the extent of the young boy in our club. He wears two hearing aids, and functions quite well on a professional level. But he misses a lot. Details & nuance often need to be clarified. Meetings where someone is talking outside his field of view, or more than one conversation is going on at the same time can create communication voids. These "minor" difficulties result in a degree of social isolation.

For our deaf boy, that isolation is much much greater. Your statement is 100% correct.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++