WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Trail Pucture ... Need help please.

Hey folks as part of my 2016 hike (Nobo) I am going to raise some money for a conservation cause/group that I support, The National Wild Turkey Federation (N***). These folks are behind part of the reason why you see turkeys when you hike!

Anyway they are doing a write up on me in their magazine and we are looking for a wide angle view of the trail to put in the article. I have a few pictures I took but they're not great. I am looking for one very cool picture hopefully it would have an AT logo in it. If somebody could actually produce a picture of a bunch of turkeys on the Appalachian Trail it would be unbelievably awesome.

If anybody has anything that we might be able to use I'd be grateful thank you.

Images

Oh god! It's not the National What The ....

Images

I have some panoramas in my picture. They're from the trail, not necessarily of it, but if any meet your needs, feel free. (Credit would be awesome! ) I also have some others I haven't posted yet.

Turkeys generally don't stand still long enough to get a photo of. I've flushed one or two along the trail and their gone in the blink of an eye.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I got a couple of photo ops of a hen trying to lead me away from her babies, coming down from Cheoah Bald. Flushed her up (scared the *%#$@ out of me). Saw two little babies, and the trails of two more in the grass). Momma took off down the trail, and with no other option, I followed her. She's hop up on a log or rock and look back, I'd try to grab a blurry picture, she's say "holy %#, its still coming!!" and take off again. Got one picture that only I can tell is her.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Turkeys generally don't stand still long enough to get a photo of. I've flushed one or two along the trail and their gone in the blink of an eye.
    That's what I thought. They are definately not like deer.... they don't look back when they sense trouble! As much as a bad wrap that wild hogs get, they are very similar to turkeys in their mode of escape when trouble is sensed. One second there is a large group and a second later they are gone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Turkeys are definitely making a comeback. Especially in the suburbs up here in he Northeast.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Turkeys are definitely making a comeback. Especially in the suburbs up here in he Northeast.
    Most people do not realize how worn down certain wildlife populations were post World War 2, that today we take for granted. Deer, bear and turkey to name a few were at an all time low to to our forefathers relying on these creatures for dinner. When I was a kid in New Jersey there were NO black bears and NO wild turkeys. I know that has changed in NJ. Things move slow down south, we are still waiting the return of black bears in East Tx and the Eastern Wild Turkeys struggle due to habitat changes.

At first, I thought the national wild turkey federation was a bourbon interest group.
    I have a decent photo of a turkey that was in my yard, that you are welcome to use. It's the only one out of half a dozen that wasn't blurry, which is a shame as the fellow went into full display. I'll need an email address to send it to you. Post here or p.m. me and i'll send it on

[IMG]file:///Users/aa/Desktop/100_2922.JPG[/IMG]

AT 2012

for those of you who, like me, are sure that someone, somewhere, is making a fool of you, here's the story:

When the National Wild Turkey Federation was founded in 1973, there were about 1.5 million wild turkeys in North America. After decades of dedicated work, that number hit an historic high of almost 7 million turkeys thanks to the tremendous efforts of our dedicated volunteers, professional staff and committed partners.

The mission of the National Wild Turkey Federation is no less urgent today than when it was founded in 1973. What we do in the coming decades will be instrumental in not only enhancing wild turkey populations but also in the continuation of hunting and quality wildlife habitat for countless species.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by scudder View Post
    At first, I thought the national wild turkey federation was a bourbon interest group.
    I have a decent photo of a turkey that was in my yard, that you are welcome to use. It's the only one out of half a dozen that wasn't blurry, which is a shame as the fellow went into full display. I'll need an email address to send it to you. Post here or p.m. me and i'll send it on
    Now THAT is an organization I could get behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    for those of you who, like me, are sure that someone, somewhere, is making a fool of you, here's the story:

When the National Wild Turkey Federation was founded in 1973, there were about 1.5 million wild turkeys in North America. After decades of dedicated work, that number hit an historic high of almost 7 million turkeys thanks to the tremendous efforts of our dedicated volunteers, professional staff and committed partners.

The mission of the National Wild Turkey Federation is no less urgent today than when it was founded in 1973. What we do in the coming decades will be instrumental in not only enhancing wild turkey populations but also in the continuation of hunting and quality wildlife habitat for countless species.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    Hey folks as part of my 2016 hike (Nobo) I am going to raise some money for a conservation cause/group that I support, The National Wild Turkey Federation (N***). These folks are behind part of the reason why you see turkeys when you hike!

Anyway they are doing a write up on me in their magazine and we are looking for a wide angle view of the trail to put in the article. I have a few pictures I took but they're not great. I am looking for one very cool picture hopefully it would have an AT logo in it. If somebody could actually produce a picture of a bunch of turkeys on the Appalachian Trail it would be unbelievably awesome.

If anybody has anything that we might be able to use I'd be grateful thank you.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    Most people do not realize how worn down certain wildlife populations were post World War 2, that today we take for granted. Deer, bear and turkey to name a few were at an all time low to to our forefathers relying on these creatures for dinner. When I was a kid in New Jersey there were NO black bears and NO wild turkeys. I know that has changed in NJ. Things move slow down south, we are still waiting the return of black bears in East Tx and the Eastern Wild Turkeys struggle due to habitat changes.
    Based on what I am seeing, Turkeys seem to take well to the edge forests much like deer. We have had flocks in our suburban yard for the past few years. A couple of months ago we were taken aback by som loud flapping noises, only to find one decided to roost some 50 feet up in a tree in our back yard -- didn't know they did that.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post

Thank you Lazarus. Also, Salty Sack came through with a picture. Deadline was short so the search is over. Thank you everyone. We went with angle Pucture of trail... No turkeys in site.

That's rad! But can't you spell "picture" correctly?! ��

Journal Entries

Wish I'd had more time. I counted 37 wild turkeys in my yard yesterday morning, similar amount today, but didn't take time to count. We feed them, and they visit two or three times a day every day. During the spring they pair up and the flock breaks apart, but during the fall they gather in a large group, and wander from one place to another looking for food.

I haven't been able to touch one of them yet, but they're getting to the point that sometimes I can walk past them several feet away without them running off. Maybe they know I'm vegetarian.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Wish I'd had more time. I counted 37 wild turkeys in my yard yesterday morning, similar amount today, but didn't take time to count. We feed them, and they visit two or three times a day every day. During the spring they pair up and the flock breaks apart, but during the fall they gather in a large group, and wander from one place to another looking for food.

I haven't been able to touch one of them yet, but they're getting to the point that sometimes I can walk past them several feet away without them running off. Maybe they know I'm vegetarian.
    Plop a camouflage hat on and walk outside and see how quick they run!!! That is cool that must be great to be able to watch all those turkeys hanging out. I own some land in East Texas and one of the goals is to one day be able to watch turkeys on my land. Historically it's very good turkey country but they were literally wiped out at the turn of the century. It's funny because other parts of the Texas are absolutely over run with Rio Grande birds

++ New Posts ++