WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Big Agnes Scout UL 2

Anyone have any opinions about this tent? Planning to use it on my 2016 thru-hike. Thanks!

http://www.rei.com/product/846620/bi...cout-ul-2-tent

Small for 2 people. Otherwise it's quick to setup and breakdown. We had good luck with ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

No experience with it. There are a few reviews out there . I was interested at time it came out for a 2 people use, but recall complaints about ventillation, rear pole inside, and condensate running down mesh onto floor.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No experience with it. There are a few reviews out there . I was interested at time it came out for a 2 people use, but recall complaints about ventillation, rear pole inside, and condensate running down mesh onto floor.
    My wife and I are seriously considering this tent and had read a zillion reviews, and yes, these complaints keep cropping up. Nevertheless, this condensation thing must exist with all single wall tents, it certainly does with my zpacks hexamid solo, but can be mitigated with careful camp selection (not in valleys, plus under a canopy of trees when possible) and just dealing with it (the condensation) now and them. I think it might work great in a drier climate (like out here in CO).

At 34 square feet and near vertical side walls, it sure doesn't seem like it would be small for two (the BA fly creek, which we use as a couple, is smaller), and the getting in and out thing is never a problem for us (done once a day, what's the big deal?), so to save nearly a pound over the fly creek plus be roomier, it's worth a shot for us, plus it's on sale for $219, plus we like buying local (BA is based in Colorado). So yeah, pretty sure we're going to buy one to replace our aging fly creek (roughly 150 nights on it).

Images

by the way, the Scout Plus is on REI outlet right now, which has an additional 25% off making the normally $349 BA Scout Plus only $209. No coupon code, just put it in your cart and it shows up at $209. Free shipping. You might have to be a member, not sure.

the Scout Plus weighs 5 more ounces, coming in at 1#-14oz, probably more like an even 2 pounds with guy lines. I think the "plus" part is that it has a much bigger vestibule than the Scout. Not 100% sure that is worth the extra 5 ounces though....

Images

sorry for going on and on and on.... but here is a particularly comprehensive review of the Scout Plus:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultral...Scout-Plus-UL2

I really like outdoor gear lab's reviews. Hopefully they are genuine and not "bought". they seem to be legitimate.

I purchased a Scout UL 2 this summer and have 2 nights in it. I used Zpacks trekking pole cups, http://zpacks.com/accessories/pole_cups.shtml , to move the front and rear trekking pole outside the tent. This makes the interior fully usable and ingress/egress easier. I intend to use it as a single person tent, sold my TT Rainbow. It's well made, good ole BA quality, has two interior pockets for storage.

It does require 12 stakes and condensation has been an issue for some. I used it at elevation in the Rockies so no problems. In a more humid environment, you use sticks to "fan out" the perimeter rain protection. There is one rear upper vent, so site selection and positioning will be important.

From my perspective, it's a luxurious, light weight one man and cheap. I got it for 50% off on SAC. They currently have the Scout Plus at 42% off, http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-ca...re/BAG000Z-GRA , with no sales tax.

If you buy the Scout and want to do the external trekking poles, PM me. The rear of the tent is not vertical. I used some removable hooks from Sierra Designs to keep the material taunt near the rear vent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I purchased a Scout UL 2 this summer and have 2 nights in it. I used Zpacks trekking pole cups, http://zpacks.com/accessories/pole_cups.shtml , to move the front and rear trekking pole outside the tent. This makes the interior fully usable and ingress/egress easier. I intend to use it as a single person tent, sold my TT Rainbow. It's well made, good ole BA quality, has two interior pockets for storage.

It does require 12 stakes and condensation has been an issue for some. I used it at elevation in the Rockies so no problems. In a more humid environment, you use sticks to "fan out" the perimeter rain protection. There is one rear upper vent, so site selection and positioning will be important.

From my perspective, it's a luxurious, light weight one man and cheap. I got it for 50% off on SAC. They currently have the Scout Plus at 42% off, http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-ca...re/BAG000Z-GRA , with no sales tax.

If you buy the Scout and want to do the external trekking poles, PM me. The rear of the tent is not vertical. I used some removable hooks from Sierra Designs to keep the material taunt near the rear vent.
    Awesome tip about those external trekking poles, I think I'll buy a couple and maybe talk to you.

Also good tip on that price, $205 on S&C vs $210 + tax, meaning about $225 on REI. 20 bucks is 20 bucks! I assume S&C has a decent return policy if any immediate issues? Big Agnes will make good if longer term flaws, I'm sure.

Cool,
    S&C is the web outlet store for Backcountry.com. They were very liberal with returns, not so much after REI changed their policy. If it's new, unused no problem within 30 days:

From their web site:

We accept the return of new, unused gear within 30 days of delivery. New gear must be returned in the condition you received it, and it must include the original packaging and manufacturer tags where applicable.
    We do not accept the return of used gear. Used gear returned as new may be shipped back to you at your expense.

Maybe better to stick with REI if you're uncertain.

I also want to try a ridge line rope between trekking poles to support both ends. Having the pole inside the tent seems like a big design miss IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    sorry for going on and on and on.... but here is a particularly comprehensive review of the Scout Plus:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultral...Scout-Plus-UL2

I really like outdoor gear lab's reviews. Hopefully they are genuine and not "bought". they seem to be legitimate.
    Rob,
    I think that the Scout Plus is a complete redesign of the original Scout. Different body shape and dimensions. Compare the two carefully.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I just about purchased this tent but, ... couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Ultimately purchased a Tarptent Stratospire 2. A bit more dollars but a terrific shelter for 2+.

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

Good Luck

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Rob,
    I think that the Scout Plus is a complete redesign of the original Scout. Different body shape and dimensions. Compare the two carefully.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Definitely different tents.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/scoutul2

Scout UL2 -

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...t/scoutplusul2

The body of the Scout Plus is different. The ridge line slopes a lot.

To my eye the Scout UL2 looks like a better interior arrangement.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

We have a Scout UL2 and find it roomy enough and a great ultralight tent - I am surprised it is not more commonplace. Condensation happens in certain conditions but is not a big deal, and does not run into the bottom of the tent. For a single-wall tent it is great - you can use trekking poles to pitch it or just tie the upper corners to two trees instead to have a pole-free tent that works great.

The Scout Plus 2 design moves the rear trekking pole to the exterior of the tent. They added mesh to the front door and a vestibule. The tapered floor and sloping roof were probably done to offset the added weight of the vestibule.

Even with the tapered floor it's probably a better option for 2 people in a rainy environment. My logic for for the Scout UL was a large floor plan with good interior height for a single occupant. I would bring my gear inside in the event of rain.

I found a youtube where somebody added a beak and a piece of door mesh to the Scout UL.

BA has a video with one of the founders touting his direct involvement in the design. From my perspective, he should have left his staff alone.

You can pitch the standard Scout with the poles outside rather than inside as well - it will just be angled a bit. The rear pole will interfere a bit with the rear vent but it's not a big issue. You can also use two trekking poles at the front on the outside that go down to either corner, rather than one awkwardly in the middle of the door. We usually pitched it with two poles at the door end and one on the inside, but my favorite way to pitch the tent was discovered one trip when we forgot our trekking poles and had to make do. Simply find a couple trees to pitch the tent in between and use paracord to attach the top corners to the trees. No poles required.

I tried the angled/sloping rear trekking pole technique. There's a couple of youtube videos on how to do it. I think it works but the vent blockage and the slack materials were an issue for me. Using the Zpack cups and Sierra Designs fabric hooks, I was able to move the rear pole vertical. Probably compromises the structural integrity of the design, but so far it's held up very well in light to moderate winds.

Apparently I am not smart enough to post pictures, can email to those interested.

post pictures
    click on the INSERT IMAGE icon
    From my Computer
    click on Basic Uploader , bottom right corner (this is the trick...)
    Chose file
    now you will be able to select the photos you have on your Desktop
    then click on upload

Thanks, glad you checked this out. I am curious about how much structural integrity is being compromised.
    IMG_0633.JPGIMG_0632.JPGIMG_0631.JPGIMG_0630.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Thanks, glad you checked this out. I am curious about how much structural integrity is being compromised.
    IMG_0633.JPGIMG_0632.JPGIMG_0631.JPGIMG_0630.JPG
    Looks great to me. When I tied mine to trees it looked similar though there was more cord distance.

I was also going to try a ridge line between the trekking poles and hang the 2 top loop attachments off of it. In this setup, there was a little sag in front right corner. I normally hike with trekking poles, so it's not incremental to my base weight. The double guy lines on the trekking poles require 14 stakes, a bit much, and some could be eliminated with a tree setup.

So far, I really like the tent, not sure I'd pay full list price for it, but it is voluminous inside for around 32 ounces.

++ New Posts ++