WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Winter boots

Default Winter boots

Which type of boots do you use/recommend for winter hiking/snowshoeing, for conditions that we can encounter for exemple in the Whites in winter ? Thanks,

And what about gaitors?

If you aren't going where you'll need crampons, go for comfortable, waterproof boots with gaiters to keep the snow out. Insulated are nice if you are out in really cold temps or for long periods, but so long as your feet have room for good blood circulation regular boots can be enough. Make sure to try out whatever you're using with both your snowshoes and your spikes before heading out into anything too serious so you know both will stay on when you need them.

As for the gaiters; I like the full height, heavy weight OR Crocs because they provide some shin protection. When you're breaking trail on snow with an ice crust, or worse yet, multiple crust layers, the extra weight is worth it
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

If you plan to spend time in an alpine zone where a hasty retreat back below treeline is not assured, seriously consider plastic or leather mountaineering double boots.

They're expensive, but toes are worth at least $40-$50 each, no?
    Attached Images Attached Images

He old standard is the military Mickey Mouse boot, AKA Bunny Boot. Your feet will be warm, and wet.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

So where can you get Micky Mouse boots? Army surplus?

May the lightness be with you! Well maybe not this time!

It boils down to 3 characteristics — cheap, light and warm. Pick any two.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I believe those were left over from the Korean war. Good luck finding any which are still serviceable. Plastic double boots with step in crampons and ice axe if you want to climb above tree line when it's -10 and 60 mph winds. Along with facemask, goggles and gortex suite.

If your staying lower down and just snowshoeing, pretty much any insulated boot will work .
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

For winter HIKING in the Whites Kahtoola Microspikes (or the Hillshound version) are almost more important than socks.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post

May the lightness be with you! Well maybe not this time!
    Easy to find in surplus stores. They are still being used. And yes, not at all light.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by md1486 View Post
    Which type of boots do you use/recommend for winter hiking/snowshoeing, for conditions that we can encounter for exemple in the Whites in winter ? Thanks,
    For what its worth, I use the Asolo GPS 520 boots and treat them religiously every few months with Nikwax, which keeps them waterproof and really dry regardless of snow levels. A set of full length gaitors (OR) complete the protection for my feet. These boots are great for winter use and will take any crampon, microspikes, or snowshoes you want to use and can be used in most any winter (or other season) environment you may find.

If your activities in winter mostly above timberline and/or technical, you probably should look into mountaineering boots for the added protection they offer. Though pricey and are not real comfortable in moderate to easy trail walking, if you do a lot of technical mountaineering you'll be better served by them.

Sorel "Conquest". Heavy at 35 oz. apiece, but I have a pair of ancient Asolo leather boots that weigh as much. Nothing gets in. They're toasty and comfortable. If anything, feet will be wet from perspiration. They can be used with micro-spikes, Hillsound crampons or snowshoes.

Journal Entries

Default Mickey Mouse boots

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I believe those were left over from the Korean war. Good luck finding any which are still serviceable. Plastic double boots with step in crampons and ice axe if you want to climb above tree line when it's -10 and 60 mph winds. Along with facemask, goggles and gortex suite.

If your staying lower down and just snowshoeing, pretty much any insulated boot will work .

I saw them on line thru Amazon. still available in Black or white--best boot for absolute warm feet!

My friends and I frequently dayhike in the Whites in the winter. We all wear lightweight insulated boots that are rated in the -30F range with 400 grams of insulation (or equivalent) and they keep our feet warm, dry and comfortable. These boots typically are stiff enough for strap-on crampons. Salomon, Vasque, Garmont, Cabela's and Merrell all make boots of this type. Sorels are another option, but they are kind of floppy for me. We make sure the boots have ample room for mountaineering socks.

I would only use double plastics or leathers if you backpack.

Thanks,
    Marty

Most of my winter hiking is out in western Alaska, so cold and snow is certainly part of the game. Currently I've been using a pair of Keen boots, model Warm. Don't know if they are still available, but they have been great! Light, warm and I don't seem to sweat too bad in them. I also always wear a pair of OR Croc gaiters that I love!
    Also often wear Kahtoola micro spikes, totally the way to go in icy conditions!
    Stay away from the "bunny boots", I have several pair of them and while they are the warmest boots out there, they are incredibly heavy!!! And as the sole wears they become pretty slippery! Great for snowmachining in sub-zero weather, but truly nasty for hiking!

Thanks guys for answers. I was thinking about the Vasque Snowburban UltraDry with 400g Thinsulate. Do someone have experience with them ? Would they be enough for hiking the White ? I have Vasque St-Elias for my summer hiking trip and really love them. I dont know if Vasque also make great winter boot though.

I have a similar boot, the Snowblime, and really like them. Get them large enough to wear with a thin liner sock and a winter sock such as Thorlo. Combined with OR Endurance gaiters, they make a fairly light set of winter boots. Work great with microspikes and snowshoes.

Quote Originally Posted by md1486 View Post
    Thanks guys for answers. I was thinking about the Vasque Snowburban UltraDry with 400g Thinsulate. Do someone have experience with them ? Would they be enough for hiking the White ? I have Vasque St-Elias for my summer hiking trip and really love them. I dont know if Vasque also make great winter boot though.
    There are a couple people in Views From The Top that liked the Snowburbans: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...ght=snowburban

Just my 2 cents - I have the Asolo TPS 520 GV boots, and when paired with thick wool socks, my feet have been warm on hikes in the Catskills down to a temp of -5 deg F. I've worn these boots snowshoeing, with crampons, microspikes, and bare booting in the winter. Love 'em. I also have a pair of plastic mountaineering boots that are WARM that I wear ice climbing. Not sure I'd want to hike several miles in them as their heavy. You can get leather mountaineering boots that are lighter, but expect to pay $300+ (got my plastic boots for $150 new on eBay). Side note on regular hiking boots with crampons - make sure you get a boot with a 3/4 shank in it, or you'll have some difficulty with crampons.
    Studies have shown that riding a bicycle everyday makes you more awesome then the general population.

Thanks guy. Just bought insulated boots - Vasque Snowburban. Will try them soon on the mountain after the break-in period

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++