WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    The number one thing I enjoy about hunting is hunting.
    My guess is that you don't just sit up in a tree and wait for your deer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    My guess is that you don't just sit up in a tree and wait for your deer.
    Sometimes I do. I love being outdoors, I love the silence, I love seeing all the wildlife, seeing things like the squirrels playing and sometimes being prey for hawks, and yes I love the heart pounding moment when I'm harvesting the game. I love hunting with my son, I love hunting with my father and brother when they were alive. I love going to a hunting camp, hunting all day and then the camaraderie in the evening. I've hunted all my life. I grew up the son of a coal miner and farmer, and the game we killed made up a large part of our diet at times. Hunting rabbits and squirrels and quail, gigging frogs for frog legs, you name it we hunted it and ate it.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

jersey should do like maine bear whackers. put out big piles of donuts and syrup and blast 'em while they're eatin'. very effective

Journal Entries
    Images

Sometimes I do. I love being outdoors, I love the silence, I love seeing all the wildlife, seeing things like the squirrels playing and sometimes being prey for hawks, and yes I love the heart pounding moment when I'm harvesting the game. I love hunting with my son, I love hunting with my father and brother when they were alive. I love going to a hunting camp, hunting all day and then the camaraderie in the evening. I've hunted all my life. I grew up the son of a coal miner and farmer, and the game we killed made up a large part of our diet at times. Hunting rabbits and squirrels and quail, gigging frogs for frog legs, you name it we hunted it and ate it.
    Wow. That is rather beautiful writing. Thanks.

I just read an article on Google news about bear hunting in NJ. The following quote is copied and pasted from that article. "But the Bear Education and Resource (BEAR) program says black bears are misunderstood. When confronted by humans, black bears first instinct is to run away or climb a tree. In fact, BEAR cites bear expert Dr. Lynn Rogers who says that a person is 247 times more likely to be killed by lightning or 120 times more likely to be killed by a bee.."

Just my opinion!! but the most boring day I ever spent was the morning I spent sitting in a tree deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Or refrain from ingesting meat altogether.
    Still curious, are you a vegan?

Images

Sometimes I do. I love being outdoors, I love the silence, I love seeing all the wildlife, seeing things like the squirrels playing and sometimes being prey for hawks, and yes I love the heart pounding moment when I'm harvesting the game.
    can you really not do and enjoy all of that while omitting that last part? do you not go into the outdoors unless its to kill something?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    jersey should do like maine bear whackers. put out big piles of donuts and syrup and blast 'em while they're eatin'. very effective
    if they didn't have hunters to hunt you can bet that's what they'd do...the state, that's how they cull deer, well, not the syrup thing.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwetherman View Post
    I just read an article on Google news about bear hunting in NJ. The following quote is copied and pasted from that article. "But the Bear Education and Resource (BEAR) program says black bears are misunderstood. When confronted by humans, black bears first instinct is to run away or climb a tree. In fact, BEAR cites bear expert Dr. Lynn Rogers who says that a person is 247 times more likely to be killed by lightning or 120 times more likely to be killed by a bee.."
    And yet there is still more fear from bears because that data is ignored. So much for humans being so intelligent. They may have the capacity for intelligence but much of the populace is governed more by fear and ignorance, as they usually go together, than knowledge and wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    And yet there is still more fear from bears because that data is ignored. So much for humans being so intelligent. They may have the capacity for intelligence but much of the populace is governed more by fear and ignorance, as they usually go together, than knowledge and wisdom.
    Now, I'm not saying your wrong, I agree, but it is worth noting that that condition is innate and kept us alive for millennia, well a couple a few thousand years anyway.

I maintain that knowledge, wisdom, prudence, and love have kept more fully alive, and is infinitely comparatively BETTER, than ignorance and fear. In the presence of knowledge, wisdom, and prudence there is less, or perhaps no need, for fear.

Wisdom is of utmost importance(the principal thing), therefore get wisdom, and with all your effort work to acquire understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I maintain that knowledge, wisdom, prudence, and love have kept more fully alive, and is infinitely comparatively BETTER, than ignorance and fear. In the presence of knowledge, wisdom, and prudence there is less, or perhaps no need, for fear.

Wisdom is of utmost importance(the principal thing), therefore get wisdom, and with all your effort work to acquire understanding. Proverbs 4:7
    I'm not sure I get it, I was more a history guy, not so good at sentence structure and syntax...but I'll take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    if they didn't have hunters to hunt you can bet that's what they'd do...the state, that's how they cull deer, well, not the syrup thing.
    I think you might have miss the intent. Someone is living rent free in someone's head.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I think you might have miss the intent. Someone is living rent free in someone's head.
    I LIKE THAT, can i use it?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I LIKE THAT, can i use it?
    Sure. However, you are not quoting me. I did not invent the saying. The first person I heard say it was Rush... and I don't mean the 3 man band from Canada.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Sure. However, you are not quoting me. I did not invent the saying. The first person I heard say it was Rush... and I don't mean the 3 man band from Canada.
    works for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    can you really not do and enjoy all of that while omitting that last part? do you not go into the outdoors unless its to kill something?
    I just said up the page I'm a hiker. But I'm not giving up hunting.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

This is the story we've been told and LARGELY ONLY TOLD. Actually, science is now discovering and RE-DISCOVERING what Darwin observed...very few behaviors are entirely genetic. While there may be a contributing genetic component to behavior that correlation DOES NOT equal causation when it comes to behavior whether it be in human or other animal behavior. What's being observed, AND RE-EXAMINED IN A WIDER CONTEXT, is that behavior in humans and in wild animals can also be described as not only SELFISH but also PRO-SOCIAL, OR COOPERATION even among different species. It's clearly observed in human and other species behavior, EVEN AMONG DIFFERENT PLANT SPECIES. WE KNOW humans have the capacity for altruism, empathy, and cooperation NOT ONLY among each other but with other species!

This notion that humans act ONLY as predators or that natural selection is ONLY about competition is narrow minded and most often used to justify self serving purposes.

Even though humans act predatory at times those times have to be taken into context with what was shared earlier:
    Again, you're wrapping up so much crap into a single issue. No one said humans act ONLY as predators. Obviously some don't feel this urge to hunt, I don't, but that doesn't mean that I think all hunters are simply mindless killers or are simply "getting their rocks off" from KILLING. And your stuff about natural selection is irrelevant, we've talked about this before, so I won't go into it here, rather I'll just stay on topic.

Why don't you stop your lecturing and tell us. Why do people in America hunt bears? I know there is not one answer, but my answer I believe sums up the bulk, i.e. the love of the hunt. So sum it up for me, since you think I'm wrong. Why? Answer that question.

P.S. I acknowledge that I my answer is kind of simplistic and probably not all that exact, since I'm not and have never been a part of the hunting community; however, I'm confident that my answer is much closer than those that would just write hunters off as mindless killers.

Why do cats and dogs always chase small animals and kill them, only to leave them for dead? Answer that.

Images

I just said up the page I'm a hiker. But I'm not giving up hunting.

so all the things about hunting that you love you can enjoy without hunting.... except the killing part. so the only thing thats actually specific to hunting that you have said you enjoy is the killing of animals.

now that said, you talk of your family's history and how hunting was actually a large food source. if that is still the case, then great, but that doesnt convince me that thats representative of most or even many hunters.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++