WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Here is a bear cookbook with delicious recipes for sweet and sour bear pot roast, bear fat pie crust and other goodies.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/bear_recipeguide.pdf

telling that it is on the state DEP website, dont you think?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    if i ever happened upon one i certainly would.
    You know how to use a phone don't you?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    oh yeah im sure one of them wants to get on the phone and talk to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    oh yeah im sure one of them wants to get on the phone and talk to me.
    You are a New Jersey resident so give it try what do you have to lose? The worst thing that can happen is they say "Sorry, too busy to talk". They probably can direct you to some report on the web that will tell you what you want to know. Collecting data is what they do.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    You are a New Jersey resident so give it try what do you have to lose? The worst thing that can happen is they say "Sorry, too busy to talk". They probably can direct you to some report on the web that will tell you what you want to know. Collecting data is what they do.
    It speaks volumes that tdoczi would rather anonymously bicker with otherwise uninvolved strangers on the internet than contact anyone who is directly involved in studying and managing bears in that region, and why you folks continue to entertain this person is beyond me.
    Hmmm...... wonder how much bear habitat has been compromised by the production of the electricity I have waisted reading and responding to this thread? Wonder if others reading this have thought about that?

Hmmm...... wonder how much bear habitat has been compromised by the production of the electricity I have waisted reading and responding to this thread? Wonder if others reading this have thought about that?

I am currently guilty. I am in need of reform. Change is in the wind Can you steer me in the direction of a 12 Step Program?

Oops, slipped again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by August W. View Post
    It speaks volumes that tdoczi would rather anonymously bicker with otherwise uninvolved strangers on the internet than contact anyone who is directly involved in studying and managing bears in that region, and why you folks continue to entertain this person is beyond me.

id rather not annoy professional people who have a job to do. i have no such reservations about tossing thoughts onto a message board for people to be free to choose whether to reply to or ignore.

those quotes, which you describe as "the most concise" are very vague. they basically say "back in 2010 there were XXX number of bears, weve killed xxxx number, but there are still more than there in 2010" ok, really? how many more? how many were there in 2008, 2009, etc?

my issue is that if bears are reproducing that quickly then the years of say 2006-2010, when there was no hunt and presumably the bears were reproducing roughly as fast, should have seen a MASSIVE explosion in bear population, but while there was certainly some growth, it wasnt by the few thousand bears you would think it would be if all else besides the hunt was consistent.
    Unfortunately, though we can get a pretty fair idea of the number of bears taken by hunting along with car wrecks and problem bear kills, the total population is an estimate. It may be a fairly accurate estimate, but its not a hard number. There are, however increasing bear/human interactions that are reported through the past 5 years or so, another indication bears are increasing in number.

My point was, hunting alone will not provide bear population control unless the season is expanded by a week or three, but even then its questionable. Other contributing factors to the bear population increases could be bears from surrounding states being trapped and released, or just pushed out of their range by other bears. Its a regional issue to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

I am currently guilty. I am in need of reform. Change is in the wind Can you steer me in the direction of a 12 Step Program?

Oops, slipped again.
    If you shop around you can probably find bargain Bear recovery centers that use a 7 or 6 step program. Might save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    If you shop around you can probably find bargain Bear recovery centers that use a 7 or 6 step program. Might save a few bucks.
    LOL.

Oops slipped up again. Do I have to return my 30 mins of electronic sobriety chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    LOL.

Oops slipped up again. Do I have to return my 30 mins of electronic sobriety chip?
    The 6 step program has 15 minute Lucidity Chips, you can trade 2- 30 minute sobriety chips for one Lucidity Chips (affectionately called Loonies)

Images

Unfortunately, though we can get a pretty fair idea of the number of bears taken by hunting along with car wrecks and problem bear kills, the total population is an estimate. It may be a fairly accurate estimate, but its not a hard number. There are, however increasing bear/human interactions that are reported through the past 5 years or so, another indication bears are increasing in number.

My point was, hunting alone will not provide bear population control unless the season is expanded by a week or three, but even then its questionable. Other contributing factors to the bear population increases could be bears from surrounding states being trapped and released, or just pushed out of their range by other bears. Its a regional issue to be sure.

decent population estimates for more years than 2010 would be an improvement.

the increasing bear human interactions (are there numbers that support this? i mean there have been a lot of "incidents" even before the hunt began in 2010. this might be an "increase" in the same way we all think violent crime is on the rise even though the opposite is true) can just as easily by a sign of further human encroachment than of increased bear population. perhaps a more accurate interpretation of the statement you quote is "despite the hunt being held for the past 5 years, nuisance bears continue to be an issue"

decent population estimates for more years than 2010 would be an improvement.

the increasing bear human interactions (are there numbers that support this? i mean there have been a lot of "incidents" even before the hunt began in 2010. this might be an "increase" in the same way we all think violent crime is on the rise even though the opposite is true) can just as easily by a sign of further human encroachment than of increased bear population. perhaps a more accurate interpretation of the statement you quote is "despite the hunt being held for the past 5 years, nuisance bears continue to be an issue"
    The NJ DEP started the current Bear rating system in 2000, so there is another 10 years of data if you want to dig around the archive of PDF files. I have inserted a link to the NJDEP Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy. Though it doesn't have a lot of what you are looking for, it does have "Literature Citations" of materials used in development and execution of the Policy. Most of these are PDF files that can be referenced. Not sure it will help or not, theres a LOT of stuff there. Mull some cider!

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/bearpolicy15.htm

Images

The NJ DEP started the current Bear rating system in 2000, so there is another 10 years of data if you want to dig around the archive of PDF files. I have inserted a link to the NJDEP Comprehensive Black Bear Management Policy. Though it doesn't have a lot of what you are looking for, it does have "Literature Citations" of materials used in development and execution of the Policy. Most of these are PDF files that can be referenced. Not sure it will help or not, theres a LOT of stuff there. Mull some cider!

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/bearpolicy15.htm
    at a glance it doesnt seem to have much of what i am looking for. the summary of complaints for 2006-2010 would be very interesting were there a comparative document for more recent, post bear hunt years. maybe there will be soon.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Damn horny bears

Speak for Yourself!!

humans kill 3/4 million babies here in the US a year. what's 400 bears or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

Let's not go there please!!

This thread needs to die!!

Images

And a great number of the people who lament the death of the bears aren't bothered one whit by the babies.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

just tryin' to bring a little perspective into view. the thread has drifted so much, as always. time to close it out.

Journal Entries
    Images

just tryin' to bring a little perspective into view. the thread has drifted so much, as always. time to close it out.
    I am glad I don't think like you -- the guilt I'd feel for sitting by and not taking up arms to stop mass murder on such a scale would likely drive me insane.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++