WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana Weather conditions --- HEAT

I'm trying to put together a plan/schedule for a thru(ish)-hike on the AT with my Siberian husky but because of the breed of dog, weather conditions are perhaps going to be out biggest concern.

We want to avoid as much of the extreme highs in temperature as humanly possible and are prepared to compensate by enduring more snow/ice/cold than most would consider ideal, or for some, even tolerable.

We're willing to sit out mid-day highs, skip sections, and avoid particular dates, but only if absolutely necessary.

---My dogs limitations---

32-35C, 80% humidity, 25km/day with frequent brakes and periodic access to water is her upper limit

So my question is... where and what problems will we run into on the AT given those limitations?

That's upper 80s to 90 Fahrenheit. for those who need a translation,
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That's upper 80s to 90 Fahrenheit. for those who need a translation,
    Thanks for the Canadian/American translation Bill

Taking into account all you said and that you and your husky are from Ontario and that you're absolutely intent on taking her along I would do an unorthodox AT thru-hike(flip flop, inside out, SOBO, EARLY NOBO start - Jan/early Feb then flip to a SOBO to reduce the heat stress, etc) or cooler/colder weather long section hike.

In the cooler or COLD weather a husky COULD be a good breed for a LONG AT hike. Make sure she gets an adequate amount of food daily too. Huskies are large muscular breeds desiring/NEEDING a good amount of food daily in terms of both volume and wt of the food. I would have her carrying her food but resupplying more often to not overload her wt wise.

If you can figure out how to do a thru hike with out hiking in May, June, July or August, your all set.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Let me reiterate my question so as to avoid further responses which are not needed nor appreciated.

My dogs physical limitations in heat mean that when temperatures begin to exceed 90F she needs careful consideration such as sitting out mid-day highs, and hiking early mornings/late nights as well as taking zero days when temperatures exceed 100F.

"WHERE AND AT WHAT TIME OF YEAR WILL TEMPERATURES TYPICALLY BECOME A PROBLEM GIVEN THAT INFORMATION?"

Beyond remaining on that simple topic, I'm also open to further information pertaining to specific climate conditions experienced on the trail such as frequent droughts. Anything not pertaining to the topic of temperatures and/or climate conditions, should be left out of the discussion.

Thank you in advance for keeping this a productive question with factual information.

It doesn't get above 80 all that often but 90+ degree heatwaves with high humidity are common from Virginia up into New England during July and early August. It can start to get very hot in Virginia in early May, just as you start hiking on long, dry ridge lines. Pennsylvania is to be avoided starting by late May and until very late summer or early fall. Same goes with NJ/NY. Forget about GA/NC any time after June and before September.

It's almost impossible to time a hike where the dog isn't subjected to extended periods of heat coupled with scarce water sources. It's the cumulative effect, not if it goes beyond the dogs limits for a day or two. The dog will be working near those limits (for 8 -10 hours a day) for the whole summer and that takes a toll. Which is why very few dogs compete a thru hike and never a big dog.

So, like I said, don't hike in May, June, July or August and you'll be all set.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

What is wrong with people in thinking it's they're preordained duty to rain a shight storm down on everyone around them.

My dog is not a chawawa or a golden retriever. She's hiked the BT here in Canada several times in both the middle of summer and winter. I live in South Canada for flipping sake. We get 100F days with 100% humidity and she still needs to get exorcised- if only in the early hours of the morning and late hours of the evening.

Is it really too much to ask for factual information about climate conditions along the AT?

If all you're going to do is tell me it's impossible, go take a HIKE. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
    What is wrong with people in thinking it's they're preordained duty to rain a shight storm down on everyone around them.

My dog is not a chawawa or a golden retriever. She's hiked the BT here in Canada several times in both the middle of summer and winter. I live in South Canada for flipping sake. We get 100F days with 100% humidity and she still needs to get exorcised- if only in the early hours of the morning and late hours of the evening.

Is it really too much to ask for factual information about climate conditions along the AT?

If all you're going to do is tell me it's impossible, go take a HIKE. lol
    I use to have a Husky about 2 dogs ago, and he hated the heat of the summer...which at least around here, NJ, can be anywhere from early June 90's to indian summer late Sept. 80-85...crazy, but that's the way it is along the 39th parallel.

Perhaps I need to lay it out for you in greater detail? This is exactly what I was addressing by suggesting you do an unorthodox AT thru-hike -""WHERE AND AT WHAT TIME OF YEAR WILL TEMPERATURES TYPICALLY BECOME A PROBLEM GIVEN THAT INFORMATION?"

If you do a straight typical AT NOBO thru-hike your husky will experience MONTHS!! of HIGH HEAT and HUMIDITY and MASSES of PEOPLE!

There are several different viable itineraries such as the so called "COOL BREEZE" AT thru-hiking itinerary that minimizes the HIGH HEAT AND HUMIDITY of the the mid Atlantic and southeastern states of the AT. Read here about the pros and cons especially as it relates to your weather question. https://www.appalachiantrail.org/hom...il/thru-hiking

Not intending to be preachy, just possibly informative, that is unless you're a well experienced 2000+ mile at one time with a husky LD hiker???, which respectfully I think not, at that same ATC site you'll find informative articles about thru-hiking the AT with a dog. ALSO, here on WB there are articles and many threads about thru-hiking with a dog that in all likely hood, IF YOU KEEP AN OPEN TEACHABLE HUMBLE MINDSET and NOT LET THE JUDGEMENTAL CRAPPY COMMENTS OFFEND YOU, you might learn some valuable information from.

Enjoy your hike. Huskies are beautiful dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Perhaps I need to lay it out for you in greater detail? This is exactly what I was addressing by suggesting you do an unorthodox AT thru-hike -""WHERE AND AT WHAT TIME OF YEAR WILL TEMPERATURES TYPICALLY BECOME A PROBLEM GIVEN THAT INFORMATION?"

If you do a straight typical AT NOBO thru-hike your husky will experience MONTHS!! of HIGH HEAT and HUMIDITY and MASSES of PEOPLE!

There are several different viable itineraries such as the so called "COOL BREEZE" AT thru-hiking itinerary that minimizes the HIGH HEAT AND HUMIDITY of the the mid Atlantic and southeastern states of the AT. Read here about the pros and cons especially as it relates to your weather question. https://www.appalachiantrail.org/hom...il/thru-hiking

Not intending to be preachy, just possibly informative, that is unless you're a well experienced 2000+ mile at one time with a husky LD hiker???, which respectfully I think not, at that same ATC site you'll find informative articles about thru-hiking the AT with a dog. ALSO, here on WB there are articles and many threads about thru-hiking with a dog that in all likely hood, IF YOU KEEP AN OPEN TEACHABLE HUMBLE MINDSET and NOT LET THE JUDGEMENTAL CRAPPY COMMENTS OFFEND YOU, you might learn some valuable information from.

Enjoy your hike. Huskies are beautiful dogs.
    Thanks Dogwood! There's some good and helpful information on that site.

And you're right in saying I've not done a 2000mile hike in one go... the whole reason I even want to do the AT is because it's in essence the next step up from yo-yoing the BT- roughly half the miles of the AT. I'd prefer to stay here in Canada for cost effectiveness, but we don't have any formal trails that are long enough (CTC doesn't count).

The PCT is also on my bucket-list but I'm waiting until I no longer have a dog to do that one- Dakota would not appreciate the dessert.

Just my FYI when hiking with Sasha my Huskey I find that if I think that the day is going to be too hot for her I will start very early 3am and hike until it gets to warm and I have a good water source. I then set up the hammock and put her ground sheet out and wet her down and take a nap until it cools off then hike later into the night and this will let me hike with her in warmer weather. From your posts this is probibly old news to you.

Ahh, if you did a yo yo thru with your husky Dakota on the Bruce Trail(I assume it's the Bruce Tr?) you have valuable experience LD hiking with your dog. GLAD, you shared that valuable detail. Now, HOPEFULLY, comments can be made in light of that context. I feel your pain brother. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Thanks cmoulder, looks like I'll be living on that site for a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by kjbrown View Post
    Just my FYI when hiking with Sasha my Huskey I find that if I think that the day is going to be too hot for her I will start very early 3am and hike until it gets to warm and I have a good water source. I then set up the hammock and put her ground sheet out and wet her down and take a nap until it cools off then hike later into the night and this will let me hike with her in warmer weather. From your posts this is probibly old news to you.
    I've had to do it numerous times out here when we've found ourselves in hiking in a heatwave. The ground sheet isn't really her thing though. She lived the first year of her life as an outdoor dog with neglectful owners and has never really become accustom to allot of the luxuries of human living.

It took me ages and several cheap tents to finally get her accustom to staying inside them. Now she picks a corner and that's her spot to sleep in a tent... if I put a drop cloth down she picks another corner instead. lol.

One thing I can sometimes do that she loves in extreme heat... dig a small hole maybe six inches or so deep for her to lie down in. Puts her out like a light.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I have not thru hiked with my Alaskan Husky but she did finish the whole AT in sections with our family. Our experience is similar to yours with regard to heat and humidity and we evolved her hiking diet as we went along until we got to where she was eating consistently much better than we began. As far as temps along the AT the highest heat and humidity comes in the summer months quite similarly to what you experience in Canada, albeit a month (maybe two) earlier down in the deep south. The kicker is that up at altitude those summer temps can get mitigated around 10 degrees F or even more up in New Hampshire and Maine. The hottest temps we experience tend to be in the July and August timeframe with highs in the 90s and even a scorcher or two that tops 100 possible any time from June to September. But again, the mountains make their own weather and are often cooler.

So, as far as a schedule goes....if you did a February start (you may need snowshoes and/or spikes) you could be comfortably in the north east by late May/early June (depending on your speed). If you do 15mpd right out of the gate and don't take too many zeros/neros you could still make it up to Vermont by June. It can still get quite warm up there but the days are also very long so you could consider getting up early and hiking until the heat of the day and then taking a break. You'd still have time to pick it back up again for another couple of hours after it cools back down if you hadn't made it to your destination already.

Hope that helps.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibe View Post
    Thanks cmoulder, looks like I'll be living on that site for a couple days.

I've had to do it numerous times out here when we've found ourselves in hiking in a heatwave. The ground sheet isn't really her thing though. She lived the first year of her life as an outdoor dog with neglectful owners and has never really become accustom to allot of the luxuries of human living.

It took me ages and several cheap tents to finally get her accustom to staying inside them. Now she picks a corner and that's her spot to sleep in a tent... if I put a drop cloth down she picks another corner instead. lol.

One thing I can sometimes do that she loves in extreme heat... dig a small hole maybe six inches or so deep for her to lie down in. Puts her out like a light.
    I have her trained that the groundsheet is her spot to stay and sleep under the hammock, I run a picket line between the two trees and she is has the run in case she wants to move around. I second the hole idea and when she is really hot she will move and dig herself a hole but I try to avoid letting her dig to keep our impact to the trail down. I will also wet her down with water to help and we have been know to take a swimming break or two on a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I have not thru hiked with my Alaskan Husky but she did finish the whole AT in sections with our family. Our experience is similar to yours with regard to heat and humidity and we evolved her hiking diet as we went along until we got to where she was eating consistently much better than we began. As far as temps along the AT the highest heat and humidity comes in the summer months quite similarly to what you experience in Canada, albeit a month (maybe two) earlier down in the deep south. The kicker is that up at altitude those summer temps can get mitigated around 10 degrees F or even more up in New Hampshire and Maine. The hottest temps we experience tend to be in the July and August timeframe with highs in the 90s and even a scorcher or two that tops 100 possible any time from June to September. But again, the mountains make their own weather and are often cooler.

So, as far as a schedule goes....if you did a February start (you may need snowshoes and/or spikes) you could be comfortably in the north east by late May/early June (depending on your speed). If you do 15mpd right out of the gate and don't take too many zeros/neros you could still make it up to Vermont by June. It can still get quite warm up there but the days are also very long so you could consider getting up early and hiking until the heat of the day and then taking a break. You'd still have time to pick it back up again for another couple of hours after it cools back down if you hadn't made it to your destination already.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks FarmerChef. That's all good information and I appreciate the time you took to share it. I have a light collar for her for just such occasions so she sticks out like a sore thumb and is easy to track in the dark. We tend to do quite a bit of hiking in the dark/dusk.

Quote Originally Posted by kjbrown View Post
    I have her trained that the groundsheet is her spot to stay and sleep under the hammock, I run a picket line between the two trees and she is has the run in case she wants to move around. I second the hole idea and when she is really hot she will move and dig herself a hole but I try to avoid letting her dig to keep our impact to the trail down. I will also wet her down with water to help and we have been know to take a swimming break or two on a hike.

I'll also avoid the hole in most scenarios but sometimes you find some nice soft ground that doesn't hurt anything to dig a shallow hole and later refill it- doesn't leave any marks. It's a nice treat for her and she visibly appreciates it.

Like digging a shallow hole for a breed like a husky. That's what they do in Alaska and elsewhere in the cold and cool weather all curled up with their tails under or in front of their sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Like digging a shallow hole for a breed like a husky. That's what they do in Alaska and elsewhere in the cold and cool weather all curled up with their tails under or in front of their sides.
    If it's really cold, what they typically do is dig a hole and build up a windbreaker from the snow, curl up into the feeble position, and then put their tails over their nose to keep from building up ice on it caused by moisture from breathing.

We had a really brutal winter later year and while we were out camping a cold confront swept in- night temperatures around -45F.

My dog was absolutely adorable. She resembled the abominable snowman with a layer of snow build-up on her fur and ice hanging from her eye lashes. I tried to take a picture of her but the shutter on my camera was frozen shut. I got some minor frostbite on the tip of my finger in the process. lol.

++ New Posts ++