WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Golite Jam 50 main compartment volume

I currently carry the Golite Jam 50 and am looking to replace it with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa or Gorilla. Does anyone know the volume breakdown of the Golite Jam 50 (main body volume especially but pocket volumes would be nice also)? Does the Golite more closely resemble the Gorilla or the Mariposa? I'm looking for exact volumes if possible for the Jam.

Thanks in advance
    Hipbone

I believe it is 50 liters.
    I have both the Gosamer's also and believe the Gorilla is closest in size to the Golite Jam 50.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

thanks rhjanes =)

i'm really struggling between the mariposa and the gorilla. the inside volume of the jam 50 is perfect for me, but i really can't go much smaller. the mariposa seems huge for my style of hiking (pretty small guy and i travel with my girlfriend so we share gear).

can anybody else weigh in on the exact volume of the golite jam or verify rhjanes statement that its 50 liters for the main compartment? the gossamer gear web site says that the gorilla is 29 liters in the main compartment. if the jam is 50 liters for the main compartment, thats a substantial difference. i even emailed gossamer gear but they didn't have any info on the Jam 50 capacity (i was hoping this was a common question they got and had a little more technical info on the jam50).

if no one chimes in soon i'll get some packing peanuts and fill my jam 50 and try to manually figure out the main compartment volume. i'm really surprised I haven't been able to find out any technical specifications on the jam 50

I'd just take a tape measure to the pack after stuffing it full of pillows...... Length x Width x Height will give you Volume... Measuring curved panels is a little harder, but you can still get a ballpark figure to help in your decision.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post

perfect thanks...

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

The Jam was sold as a 50 liter pack. I love mine but after a full hike on the AT it is showing its age and it's time to find a replacement. I'd buy another if they were available but sadly they aren't
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    The Jam was sold as a 50 liter pack. I love mine but after a full hike on the AT it is showing its age and it's time to find a replacement. I'd buy another if they were available but sadly they aren't

I love mine but the waste size minimum is 32 inches...I go under that limit when I'm on the trail more than 10 days. I think the main pocket on the Mariposa and the Golite are the same. The post above for the Jam 50 is accurate I think. Jam is 2300 ci and the Mariposa is 2200 ci to the extension collar seam. I think the Mariposa is a good replacement for the Jam 50 and has more outside storage.

Also, if you really like the Jam check out the My Trail Co. Jam 50. Might be manufactured in the future, i just hope they improve on it a little bit instead of just putting out a replica.

Neat thing also with the Gossamer is the waist belts are quickly and easily swapped out.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Also, apologies...the original post in this thread was my first post and i haven't even said hello to everyone. i've been lurking here for so long and thought maybe i had posted here before.

hello to everyone,
    hipbone

++ New Posts ++