WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

mean 8' ridgeline lol

Quote Originally Posted by CoconutTree View Post

camera - canon s95: great image quality for a light weight camera.
    Agree 100%. I started with a Canon SD630 back in 2006 and was blown away at the quality. Eventually upgraded to the S95 which was amazing (and still is), and now I own the S120 which is spectacular and small. I'm still debating carrying it with me because I know my iPhone 6S+ can't touch it and neither can my GoPro.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    What are you going to do when the bugs start eating you in New Jersey?
    Sandy; wash w/lemongrass soap and use lemongrass essential oil to keep the bugs away. A .03oz vile is all you need of lemongrass oil to refill once in a while. Bugs absolutely hate lemongrass and they also hate tea tree oil. I also wash my clothes in a natural un-scented soap along with all my hiking gear being sure to keep perfume smells away as well.

I hike in the Adirondacks and Maine and this has been my recipe for success over the years and I have not been disappointed. I meet a British couple at Abol Bridge a few years ago and when I saw them at Jo Mary Road(quitting the trail already) they were covered head to toe in bug bites. This couple used all the bug sprays, DEET and Permithian(not spelled correctly) that they could find to include head nets and still got mobbed.
    How did the Native Americans keep the bugs away? LEMONGRASS!
    At the end of our conversation the British couple asked why I had no bug bites and the bugs weren't swarming me I informed them of the miracles of lemongrass.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Images

Some items in this guys list of items might be helpful to some:

9 Pound – Full Comfort – Lightweight Backpacking Gear List

http://www.adventurealan.com/comfort...ing-gear-list/

Default My lightweight gear list (sub 10 pound base)

I didnt read all of the comments but I dont think I saw any mention of a trekking umbrella. You can get them off of Amazon, Gossamer Gear, and Zpacks and they weight 8.1oz. Then ditch the poncho. This will eliminate you getting cold from rain because it wont be touching anything except for below your waste. Lots of options for making it work hands free since you use polls.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++