WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Handling of money on trail

I'll be hiking half of the AT beginning this April. I have a question concerning carrying money with you on the trail. Is it best to carry a debit card with you on trail and a little cash? A lot of cash? I'm interested in getting numerous opinions on what's the best way of keeping cash/debit cards on the trail. Thanks...

A debit card and a small amount of cash. Replenish cash during debit card purchases. Not all areas accept all types of cards. Plan accordingly. Some services and/or purchases require cash. Regardless of strategy or level of planning, inform your bank of your plans. Some banks lock people out if they think purchases look funny based on algorithm or opinion. I carry a twenty, a few ones, and a card. I replenish cash as needed. I donate change to cups at registers. Some campsites require a specific fee. A common fee is $8. Plan accordingly as you approach these locations. I provide exact amounts so as to replenish their ones. It is not like they have a bank nearby all the time.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I carry an ATM card with no credit card logo to get cash from ATM's. I carry some cash, but not too much as most things can be chargeded. I don't like to use a debit card that has a VISA/MC logo as it can more easily be used if lost or stolen than an ATM card (useless without a PIN). I have to ask the bank for one and when I explain my reason they always say "that's a good idea". I also have a couple of credit cards. Call the company and tell them your plans so it is less likely a charge will be rejected as suspicious transaction (although it has still happened to me). I tend to carry the cash, ATM and a credit card in a wallet. Although I don't really need the wallet while hiking, I just have never been able to get used to not having it in my pocket. I have tried keeping it in my pack and I find myself worrying about it all day, so I have just given in and always keep it with me. I will however stash a spare credit card in the bottom of the pack as an emergency backup. Credit cards are set up to make cash withdrawals from ATM's (with a PIN) for emergencies, but the interest rate on cash advances are ridiculous so that is just for emergencies.

Images

+1 for what BirdBrain said. The only thing I would add is that, for protection, I'm going to have a debit card specifically for my thruhike. I'll probably maintain about $200 in it and my wife will monitor the balance and add as necessary. If I have a need for a high value purchase (e.g., equipment replacement), I'll let her know to add more $$.

Additionally, many of the retailers on the trail are small mom & pop businesses operating on a thin net profit. I intend on paying cash at these locations.

Great tips above. +1 on the mom & pop profit line. That is an off trail consideration as well. I deal in cash with those people locally as well. I like the dedicated card concept. I am stealing that idea.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Debit card, maybe $100 in cash at any one time, mostly small bills so I can buy a snack, pay for a hostel, or tip a driver. I would get more cash at the grocery store when resupplying to avoid ATM fees. Credit card stashed away for emergencies.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Don't forget about cash for shuttles. Depending on where you're going, those can easily be $30, $50, or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I carry an ATM card with no credit card logo to get cash from ATM's. I carry some cash, but not too much as most things can be chargeded. I don't like to use a debit card that has a VISA/MC logo as it can more easily be used if lost or stolen than an ATM card (useless without a PIN). I have to ask the bank for one and when I explain my reason they always say "that's a good idea". I also have a couple of credit cards. Call the company and tell them your plans so it is less likely a charge will be rejected as suspicious transaction (although it has still happened to me). I tend to carry the cash, ATM and a credit card in a wallet. Although I don't really need the wallet while hiking, I just have never been able to get used to not having it in my pocket. I have tried keeping it in my pack and I find myself worrying about it all day, so I have just given in and always keep it with me. I will however stash a spare credit card in the bottom of the pack as an emergency backup. Credit cards are set up to make cash withdrawals from ATM's (with a PIN) for emergencies, but the interest rate on cash advances are ridiculous so that is just for emergencies.
    I used a similar strategy (maybe more cash on hand). My spare CC also included a couple of $20s, different debit card (DC), & a US Passport Card (2nd form of photo ID). My 'main' CC, ID, DC, & money was carried in my neck wallet that never left my side.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Cash is king ... I carry around $200 and get uncomfortable with under $100. I like to pay small businesses in cash. They appreciate saving the credit card fees. I do have a fee free ATM card that I carry as well to replenish the cash from time to time.

Images

I think 100 to 200 in cash is probably sufficient, avoid only having large bills as small stores and post offices don't always have lots of change. As to credit/debit cards, it is good to have two different ones. Cards can get compromised for a variety of reasons and often take a few weeks to get replaced. Also let your bank or credit card company know in advance where you will be using it so they don't deny a transaction or charge based upon an unusual location/pattern. Make sure all cards won't expire. Carry a second form of ID if possible as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post
    +1 for what BirdBrain said. The only thing I would add is that, for protection, I'm going to have a debit card specifically for my thruhike. I'll probably maintain about $200 in it and my wife will monitor the balance and add as necessary. If I have a need for a high value purchase (e.g., equipment replacement), I'll let her know to add more $$.

Remember that most hotels will require a hold on some sort of credit or debit card, which means those funds will be unavailable until 24-48 hours after your stay is paid for in full.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    Remember that most hotels will require a hold on some sort of credit or debit card, which means those funds will be unavailable until 24-48 hours after your stay is paid for in full.
    Yeah, I figure stuff like this is an argument for carrying it all- a credit card, debit card, & cash. Cash is king far from civilization, but debit & credit cards both have good uses too, and weight 5 grams each

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post

Additionally, many of the retailers on the trail are small mom & pop businesses operating on a thin net profit. I intend on paying cash at these locations.
    If you have online banking you could probably do this quicker yourself from a smartphone, but whatever you are more comfortable with that works for you.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Agree with most comments above. I'd carry more than $200 cash, and do. Do inform your bank of your trip plans.

And for Pete's sake, carry some change. I've been to more than one Coke machine in the middle of nowhere (or at a place closed after hours/on weekends) that didn't take bills or give change. Sooooo nice to sit and have a cold soft drink on a hot day! Especially compared to sitting and staring at a machine while dripping sweat and swooning for one that's right in front of you, ... but you don't have any change. Been there, done that. Both ways.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Carry a huge wad of cash. And a big knife.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    For a credit card.....
    A debit card can take much, much longer. Like WEEKS.
    Which is why you never use a debit card at a hotel when checking in.
    At some hotels the hold may be $100 per day, which is on top of the actual charge you pay. You can easily have several hundred dollars tied up for two weeks. The credit back delay is not the hotel, its the banks.

There is also little reason to use a debit card for anything most of the time. Fraudulent activity with it can expose you to liability, and you get nothing out of it. A credit card protects you and can rebate you part (1-2%) of the credit card fees that are built into everything you pay for today. Sometimes small stores or hotels do require a minimum purchase or add fees for credit cards. You can get cash from both at ATMs.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-17-2015 at 05:37.

Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    Carry a huge wad of cash. And a big knife.
    first national fist

If anyone is concerned about carrying a lot of cash, send it along to me and I will tend to it.

Not applicable to hiking but never use debit cards for gas either. I once had a $150 hold places on a debit card that didn't come off for an extended period.

As as for change, most vending machines seem to take dollar bills. Change can be pretty heavy. I donate my change to tip jars before leaving a town.

Images

You'll need roughly $5000 for the hike. Just get it all in small bills and carry it in your pack. Post a photo of yourself and your pack before you leave.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++