WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey Walt, Nice report!
    FYI, I camped at Snow Camp the night before running into you on the NF and there was also a giant moldy fleece blanket left behind. I burned it in the pit....stinky. And the next night I found a moldy book at upper Crowders camp (Big stack gap i guess) named The European and the Indian by James Axtell (ISBN-13:978-0195029048) . That was my first Enthohistory read and it was quite interesting as I huddled under my tarp in that long monster rain storm; a series of essays from various authors. maybe I'll bring it back to Big Stack Gap for someone else to enjoy during a long rain.

Glad you didn't get washed down the North Fork; i had a dream that you surfed a wave all the way to Warden Field on a Thermarest pad with an emaciated hunting dog on your shoulders. disturbing on many levels...........

Images

If you are going to put that book back on the bookshelf at Big Stack Gap make sure you don't 'dog ear' the pages!

As a fellow trail maintainer, my hat is off to you for an epic trip. I'd love to know what tools you carried, and how.

Quote Originally Posted by PatmanTN View Post
    Hey Walt, Nice report!
    FYI, I camped at Snow Camp the night before running into you on the NF and there was also a giant moldy fleece blanket left behind. I burned it in the pit....stinky. And the next night I found a moldy book at upper Crowders camp (Big stack gap i guess) named The European and the Indian by James Axtell (ISBN-13:978-0195029048) . That was my first Enthohistory read and it was quite interesting as I huddled under my tarp in that long monster rain storm; a series of essays from various authors. maybe I'll bring it back to Big Stack Gap for someone else to enjoy during a long rain.

Glad you didn't get washed down the North Fork; i had a dream that you surfed a wave all the way to Warden Field on a Thermarest pad with an emaciated hunting dog on your shoulders. disturbing on many levels...........
    If I find that book which is doubtful I'll try to read it and probably end up burning it . . . unless I find a library shelf in Big Stack Gap and keep it in the stacks.

The long rainstorm did suck but luckily I had the time to sit it out and wait for better, safer conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    If you are going to put that book back on the bookshelf at Big Stack Gap make sure you don't 'dog ear' the pages!
    Dog ear pages will be the least of its problems---think Trash Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    As a fellow trail maintainer, my hat is off to you for an epic trip. I'd love to know what tools you carried, and how.
    There are many trails in the TN and NC mountains which require clipping and work-as-you-walk. For this reason I recommend all backpackers hike with a set of pruners handy to cut sawbriars and brambles and small rhodo branches in their faces. Many of these trails never see any maintenance period.

I use your standard Corona folding saw and Felco pruners---

Tipi... always love your trip reports and pics.....thanks for posting that great trip report!

really like the looks of your new Zamberlan boots, how did you like them on this trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    Tipi... always love your trip reports and pics.....thanks for posting that great trip report!

really like the looks of your new Zamberlan boots, how did you like them on this trip?
    They are a needed replacement to my all leather Asolo 520s which failed miserably in the field many months ago and so I looked for a higher quality brand. So far the Zamberlans are excellent and comfy but time will tell after several more trips.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Suppose to head that way in a few days. We'll see - 80% chance of rain
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Suppose to head that way in a few days. We'll see - 80% chance of rain

and we got alot today....

lots of streams are flooding..............

Images

I'm headed there Sunday. Rain is just part of it.

First thank you for all your hard work on the trails, second, great picture story and report. Peace!!
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

We spent 3 days in slick rock. Spent one night at naked ground with 50+ mph winds. Had to tent it out for 15 hrs, but next day the views from the bob and hangover were worth it. Hardly a cloud in the sky. My how things can change quickly.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    We spent 3 days in slick rock. Spent one night at naked ground with 50+ mph winds. Had to tent it out for 15 hrs, but next day the views from the bob and hangover were worth it. Hardly a cloud in the sky. My how things can change quickly.
    Excellent. And good to know somebody else has to take refuge in their tent for 15 hours---a common occurrence for me. Naked Ground gap can get very windy depending on which direction the wind is coming from. It's a pretty safe place unless you're directly under the old dead center tree.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post

That little breeze would have been on Monday, Dec 28. I was on the bald that night with my son.
    Were you the three guys daytripping to the bald Tuesday morning, relaxing by the old downed tree? One guy was reading a book as we walked up. We chatted briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    That little breeze would have been on Monday, Dec 28. I was on the bald that night with my son.
    Were you the three guys daytripping to the bald Tuesday morning, relaxing by the old downed tree? One guy was reading a book as we walked up. We chatted briefly.
    That was us��

amongnature.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++