WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Congrats to Karl and crew

WOW
    Super impressive, third time is a charm!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    If that's accurate, I would say the record is definitely going to fall. 45-50 miles both today and tomorrow will leave him with 85-95 miles left when he starts on Saturday morning. A long day Saturday with either a short nap or no rest that night will probably put him on Springer early in the morning on Sunday.
    Just Saying...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

At this point, does he have to supply GPS data to the FKT site to get official recognition? Or will he be trusted implicitly because of his stature in the ultrarunning community? It seems like he had many fewer encounters with fans or other hikers, pictures, etc. to document his trip along the way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NHGreg View Post
    At this point, does he have to supply GPS data to the FKT site to get official recognition? Or will he be trusted implicitly because of his stature in the ultrarunning community? It seems like he had many fewer encounters with fans or other hikers, pictures, etc. to document his trip along the way.
    I seriously doubt if GPS data is necessary, he did all the "running" documentation necessary, I'm sure there is zero doubt on this FKT.

OutSTANDing that he broke that psychological 46 day barrier! Fun stuff to follow, thanks to those that kept the number crunching current.

Leonidas

Congrats to SpeedGoat!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Congrats Karl! You are the man! Totally awesome and seems like the big push at the end theory played itself out quite nicely. It's now under 46 days, pretty awesome.
    Thanks to all for posting updates and numbers, you made this fun.

But gosh I can't help but think what Scott could have done SOBO with less dilly dallying around with fans and such. I know we could speculate forever about this and that but man I can't shake the feeling that he had more in him.

Images

Wow, he ended incredibly strong. I can't help think how he is likely thinking what now after putting his whole into this for a month and a half. Somebody needs to take him for a REALLY big breakfast, he looks beat up, understandably so.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

Congrats to Karl. Nice Job.

45 days 22 hours 38 mins

That is 9 hours and 29 minutes off the record.

These attempts are getting closer and closer.

Congratulations! Very impressive.

So do we know the mileage point after Day 45 (the start point for the final 22 hours plus)?

Journal Entries
    Images

So he can't beat the NOBO record and goes SOBO... And he's a hero LOL Jeruke is still the man...LOL
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by hobbs View Post
    So he can't beat the NOBO record and goes SOBO... And he's a hero LOL Jeruke is still the man...LOL
    Jerk is an embarrassment.

First off, hearty congrats to Karl! He earned every bit of this record.

Second, Hobbs, the vast majority of the modern record attempts- both supported and self supported- have been made going SOBO, including all three of Karl's attempts. Scott's NOBO record is phenomenal. Some people think NOBO and SOBO are different and some think it shouldn't matter which way you go. I don't think it's fair to say Karl "can't beat the NOBO record." I don't think that weighed into his decision to go SOBO at all. You can say "he didn't beat the NOBO record" but I think it's kind of hating on the guy to say "he can't." He holds the overall record. I wouldn't say that makes him a hero necessarily, but it's an impressive feat and something to be admired.

Third (and sorry for the diatribe but oh well), Egilbe, I don't think it's fair to say Scott's an embarrassment. His mistakes at Baxter are well documented and sure, he shouldn't have had champagne at the summit of Katahdin and that was an embarrassment for everyone involved, as far as I'm concerned. But in general he's a stand up guy who has some pretty lofty- and admirable- ideals and I think the fact that he supported Karl the last week or two shows that.

Both are awesome. No, all THREE within about 1/2 day are awesome, Brew! And Jennifer Pharr Davis didn't even need to bother with running-she did it walking!
    Ok, next year lets start Scott at Katahdin and Karl at Springer at the same minute. A triple race-Scott against the sobo record, Karl against the nobo record, and each against the other.
    They can high five at Harpers without breaking stride.
    Who knows, we might see two new records! Call it the ultimate ultra running match.
    Bacon vs Beans! Can Red Bull and Cliff Bars work out a split screen? :-)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by black chucks View Post
    Both are awesome. No, all THREE within about 1/2 day are awesome, Brew! And Jennifer Pharr Davis didn't even need to bother with running-she did it walking!
    Ok, next year lets start Scott at Katahdin and Karl at Springer at the same minute. A triple race-Scott against the sobo record, Karl against the nobo record, and each against the other.
    They can high five at Harpers without breaking stride.
    Who knows, we might see two new records! Call it the ultimate ultra running match.
    Bacon vs Beans! Can Red Bull and Cliff Bars work out a split screen? :-)
    Love to see that Jureke would wreck him lol
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    First off, hearty congrats to Karl! He earned every bit of this record.

Second, Hobbs, the vast majority of the modern record attempts- both supported and self supported- have been made going SOBO, including all three of Karl's attempts. Scott's NOBO record is phenomenal. Some people think NOBO and SOBO are different and some think it shouldn't matter which way you go. I don't think it's fair to say Karl "can't beat the NOBO record." I don't think that weighed into his decision to go SOBO at all. You can say "he didn't beat the NOBO record" but I think it's kind of hating on the guy to say "he can't." He holds the overall record. I wouldn't say that makes him a hero necessarily, but it's an impressive feat and something to be admired.

Third (and sorry for the diatribe but oh well), Egilbe, I don't think it's fair to say Scott's an embarrassment. His mistakes at Baxter are well documented and sure, he shouldn't have had champagne at the summit of Katahdin and that was an embarrassment for everyone involved, as far as I'm concerned. But in general he's a stand up guy who has some pretty lofty- and admirable- ideals and I think the fact that he supported Karl the last week or two shows that.
    Would have to agree to disagree all his attempts been Sobo. Been said a million times second half is easier when tired...

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Jerk is an embarrassment.
    +1 on this assessment.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by black chucks View Post
    Finished!
    Photos on facebook.
    45 days 22 hours 40-some minutes.
    WOW!! Super, super impressive!! Heck - they all are IMO...
    None the less, Karl (and crew) You Did It!!! So awesome!! Congratulations Speed Goat!

u.w.

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    +1 on this assessment.
    Can we stop with insulting those who came before and making unsubstantiated claims of how they'd wreck each other in circumstances we're never going to see?

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Can we stop with insulting those who came before and making unsubstantiated claims of how they'd wreck each other in circumstances we're never going to see?
    Sorry about that. I thought he was criticising the poster quoted, not referring to Jurek as a jerk.
    If these boobs don't appreciate this aspect of hiking the trail, why do they go out of their way to mess with others that do?
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast
++ New Posts ++