WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gear shakedown/Flying with Gear/Florida Camping.

It turns out I get/have to drive my dad to Florida, and then get him set up in his winter place. Which will leave me in Osprey with limited transportation options for much of January. I got the bright idea of hiking/camping Oscar Scherer park, which is within walking distance of where he lives. Seems like it would be a good place to test my new gear in advance of the AT. I can do a bunch of 15 mile hikes as well, which won't hurt.

First question. What should I know about checking my backpack? It's about 2 inches too long to carry on, and on recent flights they're always making half the plane check carry-on bags at the gate anyway. Tape down loose straps, duct tape corners to guard against abrasion? I don't want to wrap the entire thing in a bag, for fear the information would be taped to the plastic bag, and the bag then becomes separated from the pack. Ideas? Am I just being overly concerned?

Next question. Alligators? I don't like them. Googling tells me to sleep in a hammock, but that doesn't help me test my AT tent. Other than not eating/storing food in my tent, what precautions should I take? Is tenting a really stupid idea? The tentsite shares space with RVs, but is next to a little body of water. Will the general mass of loud drunken people keep the alligators away?

There are areas where it is known if there are gators. I was a cave diver in my former life, and I never saw one where I would dive in Florida's inland cave systems, which start by about Gainesville and go north and throughout the Panhandle area, but these were known areas not to have them. In areas that have them, the safest route is to camp well away from the water, but that means far away, not just 100 feet.

I have never camped in gator country, so this is only general information.

Where in the world did you get the idea that an alligator would go into a tent? For food or for any other reason?

And....loud drunken people are now tolerated in any Florida State Park campground, RV or Tent.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    And....loud drunken people are now tolerated in any Florida State Park campground, RV or Tent.
    That was a fun typo.....

loud drunken people are NOT tolerated in any Florida State Park campground

As for me...I'm one of those "quite" drunks.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.

A quiet, quite drunk camper?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Where in the world did you get the idea that an alligator would go into a tent? For food or for any other reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTMuGCMqx_I

... and because... well, Florida.

Journal Entries

Growing up and living around gators much of my life, I never gave them a second thought when more than 50 ft from the water.
    Never worried about a gator in the tent. I doubt he could get in .

You are Not overly concerned about checking your bag. I have a heavy duty army issue canvas duffle bag. Everything goes on there and protects it, including trekking poles, but not matches or lighters which are allowed in you pocket but not in checked bags.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Growing up and living around gators much of my life, I never gave them a second thought when more than 50 ft from the water.
    Never worried about a gator in the tent. I doubt he could get in .
    Well, it's a Tarptent Notch, which is basically a tarp, fairly low to the ground with a bug tent inside. I'm a little confused why the park placed a campground with tent sites right next to a water source.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    You are Not overly concerned about checking your bag. I have a heavy duty army issue canvas duffle bag. Everything goes on there and protects it, including trekking poles, but not matches or lighters which are allowed in you pocket but not in checked bags.
    I was afraid that this was the preferred method. This would require my shopping at a real store, four days before Christmas, which is pretty close to my personal vision of hell.

I'm thinking I may just skip the camping on this trip, and chalk it up to being unprepared. I can still do some dayhikes to keep up the fitness level. Thanks all.

Don't worry about gators....I've paddled within inches hundreds of times on my sup trip up the St. John's river. I camped every night within 50 feet or less from gator infested waters...I slept with my food also...I forgot a few cliff bars I had in a dry bag outside my tent one night and the damn coons chewed up my dry bag but didn't care much for the cliff bars! No surprise....yuk! I flew with my ula circuit a few months ago with no problems even though it's larger than allowed size. Compress as much as possible and of course mail ahead non allowed items....stove, knife, trekking poles, tent stakes etc. on way home I used my compactor bag and put pack inside and taped up...no problems...gators tend to like the taste of drunks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They love crooks also....
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...cops/76966512/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    They love crooks also....
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...cops/76966512/

Usually its just dogs and small children.
    We used to take rod in boat with hookless plug and catch small gators hanging out . Reel them up to boat, smack them with paddle. Teach them to be scared of people .

Nearby to Osprey is Myakka River State Park, one of the largest in Florida. There are about 40 miles of trail maintained by the Florida Trail Association and six primitive campsites (check the status of the pumps). This would be a much better test of your gear and much more pleasant than tenting next to an RV. May is mating season for gators, when the young males are forced to look for new territory and sometimes travel overland. That being said, I have tented out there on many occasions and never even considered a gator as tent mate. Hammocking is discouraged since it damages the epiphytes on the tree trunks and branches. The one safety rule is never to put your hands where you can't see them, like under the palmettos. There are pygmy rattlers as well as diamondback rattlers and water moccasins. Probably coral snakes, too, but I haven't seen one in Myakka. And no, you don't need to worry about them either. Also feral hogs and the much dreaded armadillo, which carries leprosy. So much to worry about. You'll be fine. Oh, the Florida Panther also wanders through (I've seen tracks), but it's not the home ranch. Bobcats and fox too. OOOOO, scary. Let me know if you have questions!

This just in.....

AP - Ochopee FL - Law enforcement officials announced Sunday their investigations into recent problems in camping areas have yielded results. Campers in tents have reported alligators getting into the tents and wreaking havoc, which have been widely discounted by the Ranger staff in the Preserve. A film provided by Walter Ploncski, a long time camper in the Preserve and frequent resident of the Sunnyplace RV park in Sweetwater.

Using a game camera outside his tent, Ploncski captured a clear partnership between alligators and local raccoons. The raccoons apparently unzip the tent and provide security allowing the alligators to gain entry. Rangers are cautioning anyone using a zippered tent to fasten the zipper securely when inside. Ranger Wing Munki explained the situation succinctly, "since loud and drunken people are now tolerated in any Florida State park, Campground (RV or Tenting), it has attracted criminal wildlife who prey on people of no certain address". Munki added, "It appears this newly discovered partnership is a threat to people, though curiously, most of the incidents have involved the theft of Budweiser beer. The only fatality recorded was two months ago when Richey Freemont tried to stop the theft of a case of beer in his tent, resulting in his mullet getting tangled in the alligators teeth".

Wildlife officials are offer the usual cautions about avoiding raccoons and alligators who are loitering nearby with no apparent business and avoid playing Achey Breaky Heart, which seems to be a common element of tent entries.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post

First question. What should I know about checking my backpack? It's about 2 inches too long to carry on, and on recent flights they're always making half the plane check carry-on bags at the gate anyway. Tape down loose straps, duct tape corners to guard against abrasion? I don't want to wrap the entire thing in a bag, for fear the information would be taped to the plastic bag, and the bag then becomes separated from the pack. Ideas? Am I just being overly concerned?
    I´ve flown a bit with a big Pack in Europe and once from South America to Europe via Africa(cheapest option). If you have a plce in Florida I would just get a Transport Bag, basically a sturdy stuff sack you can put the entire pack in. Mine also has a couple of lugs so you can lock it with a padlock.
    For trips where you actually have to carry everything all the time i would just wrap the Backpack in a sturdy trashbag, close that and rip a hole for the carry grip (the thing inbetween your shoulders) so they can tape the information to that. Always worked so far, but that was only inside europe, so take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    Nearby to Osprey is Myakka River State Park, one of the largest in Florida. There are about 40 miles of trail maintained by the Florida Trail Association and six primitive campsites (check the status of the pumps). This would be a much better test of your gear and much more pleasant than tenting next to an RV. May is mating season for gators, when the young males are forced to look for new territory and sometimes travel overland. That being said, I have tented out there on many occasions and never even considered a gator as tent mate. Hammocking is discouraged since it damages the epiphytes on the tree trunks and branches. The one safety rule is never to put your hands where you can't see them, like under the palmettos. There are pygmy rattlers as well as diamondback rattlers and water moccasins. Probably coral snakes, too, but I haven't seen one in Myakka. And no, you don't need to worry about them either. Also feral hogs and the much dreaded armadillo, which carries leprosy. So much to worry about. You'll be fine. Oh, the Florida Panther also wanders through (I've seen tracks), but it's not the home ranch. Bobcats and fox too. OOOOO, scary. Let me know if you have questions!
    Haaaaa...you forgot about the very dangerous man eating manatee!!!! They've been known to steam roll people who are fast asleep in there tents! On serious note there's really not much to worry about other than the snow birds and tourists!!! Have fun!

I was going to recommend Myakka River State Park also, great place to try out gear and get away from the motor-homes (although the public camping area is solid with them in the winter).

You still need to protect your food from raccoon and other night raiders, and the armadillos sound like an evading big foot family when the rustle through the palmetto fronds. Sweet or greasy foods left in a tent can cause fire ants to eat through the tent floor.

He would have to stay away from the Upper Myakka River where the alligator scene is like something out of a Tarzan movie. Every sand bar is covered in gators, little ones sunning on top of big ones.

I'd also recommend checking out some of the Southwest Water Management District lands, many of them have primitive camp sites and hiking trails.
    https://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll check out the Myakka River State Park. I'll try to stay away from the poison trees as well... and of course the raccoon alligator tag teams.

Yeah, don't worry about gators in your tent, but the caution about reaching in places you can't see is a good one.

I'm a super rare Florida native. Being with the scouts a good portion of my life camping near alligators is nothing to worry about. Your more likely to get in a car accident with a snowbird driving in, than getting attached by a Gator. Follow all your food procedures. Include hanging your first aid and toiletries as well as any cup or pot that has has anything but water in it, and you'll be fine. Gators being cold blooded slow down in the winter kinda like hibernation. They just lay around trying to get some sun to stay warm.

A bigger problem might be mosquitoes being that close to and standing water. If it's does not drop below 32° those suckers will get you.

Besides setting up camp and breaking camp Florida is no place to train for the AT. A 20 mile day in Florida is like 8-9 on the AT in Georgia. Only easier on the knees. But have a good time camping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++