WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Aeropress vs. Javapress

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what would be better for my pack: an Aeropress or an all in one French Press (built into a coffee cup). I have experience French Pressing, but not with an Aeropress, so i'm not sure which would taste better. I'm also not sure which would be lighter overall, though my guess is the FP because the mug is built into it.

Which would you rather have?

Thanks!

I would bring none. Have coffee in town . Bring loose tea . It's lighter and no grounds to deal with

Thom

You take a French Press on a backpacking hike, ClayW, and I'll shoot you on general principle!

MV5BMjI5MzgxMTQ4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjczMTk0NzE@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I would bring none. Have coffee in town . Bring loose tea . It's lighter and no grounds to deal with

Thom
    Great idea! I didn't even think of that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    You take a French Press on a backpacking hike, ClayW, and I'll shoot you on general principle!

MV5BMjI5MzgxMTQ4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjczMTk0NzE@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg
    Haha! That's fair. I will never bring a French Press on a hike - ever. I don't want to be shot!

There's always cowboy or turkish coffee.

From personal experience with an aero press, they're super easy to use and clean, and make decidedly OK grounds (Starbucks) taste as good as possible.

True! Definitely going to have to test both options out.

True silver! Definitely going to have to test both options out.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    From personal experience with an aero press, they're super easy to use and clean, and make decidedly OK grounds (Starbucks) taste as good as possible.
    Okay, great. Thank you. That's what it looks like i'll be investing in.

I have both and I believe hands down the Aeropress makes a better cup of joe. I also agree with most others, I wouldn't bring it on a long hike. If you must, the Starbucks instants aren't bad.

I use these when I carry coffee on the trail:

http://smile.amazon.com/Caf%C3%A9-Bu...3ACafe+Bustelo

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post

Thom

yeah eah coffee for me is required in the woods. And I'm a big tea drinker to it just doesn't give the same affect.

Me me personally I'm a fan of cowboy coffee it's super easy to make damn tasty to.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by bikebum1975 View Post
    yeah eah coffee for me is required in the woods. And I'm a big tea drinker to it just doesn't give the same affect.

Me me personally I'm a fan of cowboy coffee it's super easy to make damn tasty to.
    Pretty much sums me up as well. Coffee in the early morning at camp is nearly a spiritual event, never mind its ability to get me started in several different ways. In my perusal of this forum, I have found Nescafe instant with some high end cocoa makes for a mighty fine wake-me-up and doesn't weigh me down much.

Exactly traveler. Coffe to me is something to be enjoyed even better outside. Yeah I do like a good hot chocolate in mine now and then to. My new favorite way to brew though a bit heavy and bulky for some the classic Italian moka pots. Stupid easy makes crappy coffee taste wicked good
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Aeropress makes great coffee but is rather heavy. I like French press coffee ok but don't like to drink out of a all-in-one press/mug because I always end up drinking the mud at the bottom. My recent solution is a press insert in my Jetboil.

I sometimes make "trail half and half" by mixing ghee into powdered milk. It's an acquired taste but packed with calories.

++ New Posts ++