WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default NEW! I am in need of sage wisdom, advice and guidance.

As I said I'm new. I haven't hike any distance in a great long time and never tried a thru-hike before. I am 62 and a 2 yr heart transplant recipient survivor. Now, with my doctor's overwhelming approval, I plan on doing the AT starting this April. I have done a lot of research in the process of planning and found a great deal of discussion on pack weight. Here's my issue, I have a Marine ILBE pack and I know that is heavier then what most thru-hikes use. Baring the pack I will be carrying more because of what I need to stay healthy, medicines a more robust first aid kit and the such. I will be working with sponsors and blogging along the trail as well, so there is camera, tablet, and spare battery to carry. I am doing this to help draw attention to the bid need for Organ and Tissue donors.

Here are my questions: Has anyone out there done this before? How heavy is to heavy? How can I lighten the load? Any equipment recommendations?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

The pic is of me in 2012 when my heart started fail and this is me today!me and my 40# pack.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewHeart View Post
    How can I lighten the load?
    If you're not using the "heavy" stuff daily...you could bounce it up to the next town...pull in and catch up on the blogging...then send it ahead. This could easily be problematic though in cases where you get somewhere too fast or you get there just right...and the destination is closed. But, you're not carrying it daily...by the hour...by the minute....by the second....

Good luck! Inspirational.
    hikers gonna hike

As I said I'm new. I haven't hike any distance in a great long time and never tried a thru-hike before. I am 62 and a 2 yr heart transplant recipient survivor. Now, with my doctor's overwhelming approval, I plan on doing the AT starting this April. I have done a lot of research in the process of planning and found a great deal of discussion on pack weight. Here's my issue. I have a Marine ILBE pack and I know that is heavier then what most thru-hikes use. Baring the pack I will be carrying more because of what I need to stay healthy, medicines a more robust first aid kit and the such. I will be working with sponsors and blogging along the trail as well, so there is camera, tablet, and spare battery to carry. I am doing this to help draw attention to the bid need for Organ and Tissue donors.

Here are my questions: Has anyone out there done this before? How heavy is to heavy? How can I lighten the load? Any equipment recommendations?
    How heavy is too heavy? It depends on how one hikes and what kind of hike one is anticipating.

Marine ILBE packs(Improved Load Bearing Equipment) backpacks are designed prioritizing HIGH durability and for HEAVY loads, up to 120 lbs, and richly featured with a great amount of attachment pts. In short, they are deigned for combat conditions. Are you anticipating the same conditions for your AT hike? I suspect not. Could one employ such a backpack for a long AT hike ? Yes. Under your anticipated AT hike scenario and given your medical condition do you really need an 8.8 lb 4500 cubic inch backpack designed for up to a 120 lb load when a backpack such as the ULA Catalyst weighs in at 3 lbs 4600 cubic inches and can carry up to 50 lbs?

It is not just gear that can reduce the wt you haul but also savvy logistical considerations. For example 1) if you resupply more often assuming 2lb food wt/day that reduces the wt you haul 2) through apprisal of water locations on the AT listed in either AWOL's AT Guidebook or the ATC's Thru-Hiker's Companion you can restrict unnecessarily carrying extra water wt which adds up FAST at 2.2 lbs per Liter http://appalachiantrials.com/at-guid...ers-companion/ 3) as Chris Jackson shared, bouncing "stuff" ahead you may not absolutely need on a daily basis but perhaps a closer to weekly basis

I don't typically publicly share this but since you specifically asked, are hiking for a great cause, I too have some involvement with para military operations, and for the simple fact that I too could have labeled myself "New Heart", I will share. Even though I had not completed more than a 80 mile hiking trip, had open heart surgery 3 yrs previous(valve replacement), and had been struck as a pedestrian by a speeding 75 MPH automobile breaking my left ankle and doing ligament damage to that same ankle and resulting in other lesser medical conditions only 4 1/2 months previous I struck out in 2006 on an AT NOBO hike and joyfully summitted Mt Katahdin successfully completing an AT Thru-hike.

I started with a heavy 56-58 lb load(7 lb backpack for example), oodles of meds(various blood thinners, etc), pain killers(actually had an abusive relationship with them resulting from various surgeries), and lingering effects from the automobile accident. But, I was patient, didn't go out too fast too hard too soon, humbly and joyfully observed and meditated deeply, learned quickly placing myself in the role of a student of LD backpacking, and evolved on that hike to a sub 25 lb carry( 2 lb 4 oz backpack for example), completely off pain meds, persevered emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually, created empowering memories and a greater awareness, and all while contributing to the betterment of others in my walk.

If I can do it I suspect you can too.

Have a GREAT JOURNEY.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I think it would help the thread if you could provide the additional weight for, say 7 days, of meds. I'd suggest shooting for a pack weight of no more than 35lbs including food and water, but before your meds. Try not to exceed 40lbs. This forum can help shakedown your pack list. Consider a more modern pack (the ULA brand is a good starting point.) You'd probably be better off moving lighter with a good maildrop system. With modern AT guides, such as AWOL, you should be able to get your maildrops out there, shuttles planned, etc.

In general, the lighter your pack is, the better off you are. This goes for everyone - young, old, infirm or in the picture of health.

Pack weight is heavily influenced by two things : time of year and money. Time of year because in the colder months you need more clothes and more sleeping bag to keep warm then you do in the summer. Money because the lighter the gear, the more expensive it is. When it comes to backpacking, it costs more to have less.

That said, it's not too hard to put together a three season kit which will come in under 25 pounds W/food (for 3-4 days) and water(for that day) without breaking the bank. Heart transplant or not, no one wants to carry much more then 25 pounds very far, or for very long.

The first thing to do is forget about any gear you might have now since it's either old or not suitable, like that military pack. You want all new stuff and the lightest you can afford.

You go to town often enough that you only have to carry a few days or a week worth of your meds at a time. A good smart phone can do all the internet chores and take pretty decent pictures all in one handy little device, so that's not a big deal either.

Good luck.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There are some amazing lightweight backpacking components out there, and many of them are hand made in the USA. Zpack makes an unbelievably light water proof backpack, other companies such as 6 moons also have a large selection of products. One thing you have to wrap your mind around is that though the trail is almost 2200 miles long you can break it down into 20-50 mile sections which is about the distance you have to hike to be able to get back to civilization. As mentioned by previous posters this offers you access to PO's and the ability to ship and bounce supplies to yourself and also to get rid of unneeded items on a weekly basis and allowing you to lighten things up quickly if needed. Go light as possible, break the trail into small pieces, and go have an adventure of a lifetime!

I'm currently in the process of transitioning from the military hiking mindset, to that of a (much lighter, consequently) civilian mindset. I've gotten rid of all of my surplus gear that 'I thought I'd need', and am slowly but surely purchasing newer, much lighter, kit.

It's not been any easy transition, but it is a necessary one. Military hiking is typically high-weight, short-distance (with today's 'hikes' traditionally meaning an approach march of a few hours), while civilian hiking can be anywhere from a day hike to a multi-month endeavor.

Basically, a 25 pound, loaded military pack is not equivalent to a 25 pound, loaded civilian pack.

While you may or may not need to go ultralight because of your medical concerns, compared to what we've dealt with on the military side, it may certainly seem ultra light to us. There are very few pieces of military gear, from my opinion, that you're going to find transition appropriately to civilian use, at least in the longer-distance hiking realm (car camping aside, military surplus is great stuff).

two cents

Journal Entries

I thank you for sharing your experience! I will take it to heart. I have been training with a 40# load hiking a 3 mile loop that includes a couple 8 or 9% inclines and descents. It takes me 1hr 20min to complete.

The lighter you get the better your odds of finishing. Military gear is not the answer. It is well designed for its purpose but that ain't thru-hiking the AT.

Images

I started my backpacking career with a military pack. I highly recommend looking elsewhere. To give you some perspective using Dogwood info, my entire gear list weighs less than that pack. You don't have to go that light but you will enjoy the walking more with a much lighter pack. I would share your gear list on here, whittle it down and most importantly go out and hike. Good luck and I wish you well on your hike.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I think it would help the thread if you could provide the additional weight for, say 7 days, of meds. I'd suggest shooting for a pack weight of no more than 35lbs including food and water, but before your meds. Try not to exceed 40lbs. This forum can help shakedown your pack list. Consider a more modern pack (the ULA brand is a good starting point.) You'd probably be better off moving lighter with a good maildrop system. With modern AT guides, such as AWOL, you should be able to get your maildrops out there, shuttles planned, etc.

7 days of meds I don't think that would be enough, I could be wrong. Several of my meds are for anti-rejection and to keep the heart healthy. I don't want to get caught short or be without. As far as what the actual weight of my additional gear, I have not determined that yet. This is the planning stage of things. I will be acquiring my equipment after the holidays. Need to see what Santa is going to bring me

I agree that a military back pack isn't a good idea. When I was younger, I hiked with a pack that weighted 8 lbs. If you start with an eight pound pack, thee is a temptation to add to the weight because you are already heavy. The things you mentioned are not that heavy except for possibly the camera. I recently bought one of the mirrorless cameras and cut significant weight.

You asked "How heavy is too heavy?" The answer will vary based on your own situation, but I consider anything over 35 lbs to be too heavy.
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

I forgot to ask what are your feeling about the Gregory line of packs.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I'm currently in the process of transitioning from the military hiking mindset, to that of a (much lighter, consequently) civilian mindset. I've gotten rid of all of my surplus gear that 'I thought I'd need', and am slowly but surely purchasing newer, much lighter, kit.

It's not been any easy transition, but it is a necessary one. Military hiking is typically high-weight, short-distance (with today's 'hikes' traditionally meaning an approach march of a few hours), while civilian hiking can be anywhere from a day hike to a multi-month endeavor.

Basically, a 25 pound, loaded military pack is not equivalent to a 25 pound, loaded civilian pack.

While you may or may not need to go ultralight because of your medical concerns, compared to what we've dealt with on the military side, it may certainly seem ultra light to us. There are very few pieces of military gear, from my opinion, that you're going to find transition appropriately to civilian use, at least in the longer-distance hiking realm (car camping aside, military surplus is great stuff).

two cents
    Are you saying 25 pounds in the military is heavier than 25 pounds in civilian life??

Default NEW! I am in need of sage wisdom, advice and guidance.

Nope - I'm saying that 25 lbs of military gear is different than 25 lbs of typical trail gear.

Pack weighs more, food weighs more, definitely no ammo in a civilian pack, radios, batteries, MRE's, etc.

It's a different mindset. Items typically weigh significantly less on the civy side.

Journal Entries

Good luck to you. A friend of mine is about 6 months into his heart transplant. Tough road.

What kind of mileage do you expect to do?
    What do you comfortably do now?
    With or without pack?

I'd switch from tablet to phone and save an ounce wherever I possibly could.
    And plan on hitting a LOT of resupply towns, roadside stores, etc.

If you can do 12-15 mile days, you can do the AT with resupplying ever 3-4 days. (with a few exceptions)
    Even if you only do 10 mile days, 4-5 days out is all you need and you can start NOBO with much less (send a box to Neels Gap at mile 30)
    That can be important in food weight. (30 miles between resupplies @ 10 mpd means 2 days food, not 3)

If you are doing a SOBO hike, you might have some problems getting through the 100 mile wilderness, but you can get some food delivered in there. (and I would suggest you do)
    If a NOBO hike, you'll have it all figured out by then anyway.

Good luck and Have Fun!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I forgot to ask what are your feeling about the Gregory line of packs.

Whiteblaze people are very genuine in their answers. They are not going to tell you one thing to make you feel better, they are going to tell you blunt truths that they have come to learn (usually the hard way) Keep that in mind when you ask for answers and if some of those answers are hard to swallow. They really are looking out for your best interests, even if you don't want to hear them sometimes.

That being said, Not every pack is for every body. These are the steps that I would take If I were in your situation.

First I would go to REI or a local, competent, outfitter near you. I would go and get your back measured professionally (if they try to charge you money, immediately walk out, never to return) and see how "long" your back is. The representative should be trying to fit the measuring device right on your iliac crest, if they are not, ask for someone else or immediately walk out, never to return. This will get your measurements. I would highly suggest not buying anything there at that time and come back to the comfort of your own home and start online shopping or supply your measurement to the WB people here. That will help narrow down packs that simply wont fit you or are not good for you.

The more open you are about your measurements here, back and waist at the iliac crest being two very important ones, the better the people here can help narrow down your choices to better fit you.

That simple step will save you several backpack iterations and pains in certain areas with certain packs (ask me how I know this )

YMMV HYOH

DO NOT UNDERSETIMATE THE ACCUMULATION OF WEIGHT! OUNCES MATTER - LOTS.

Now you can carry more, or less, but at the end of the day, no one ever advocates for carrying heavier stuff. I remember my AT shakedown at mountain crossings. Traded the guy a 5 oz swiss army knife for a 2 oz swiss army knife. Too many clothes. Too much electronics. Too many back-ups. Really, if my headlamp fails, can I still make it to the next town? Can I borrow someone else's spare? Can I buy it from them? The thing that most surprised me was the camaraderie and the willingness to help and share. If I were planning it again, I'd have 200 bucks in 20's and leave all my "spares and in-case items behind"

At any given overnight, there is someone with a cellphone, another with a SPOT and someone with bandaids. I'm not advocating sponging full time, but realizing that any given night, there was 15-20 folks (and may times many more than that) within whistle range was something I had not considered.

Take a careful look at this picture and think about how much capacity and capability is contained in the part you can see.

[img]AT2014190-XL.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++