WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by NewHeart View Post
    I did look at the ULA, I'm not sure how I feel about not having easy access to the contents of my pack.
    Most of the packs that long distance hikers use have a big mesh pocket on the front, a couple of large side pockets, and usually a pair of hip belt pockets -- everything I need during the day fits in those pockets with the possible exception of lunch. Snacks go in my left hip belt pocket; gloves, hat, hand sanitizer go in the right; water bottle in each side pocket; the mesh front pocket holds my rain shell, map, rain cover, warm layer when I take it off, TP, etc.

The ULA has a rigid internal frame. The Circuit would be reasonable choice -- there are hundreds of them on the trail every year. We have owned three of them. I recently replaced mine with a Zpacks Arc Haul, which is similar but probably a little trickier to use. But it saves me about 12 ounces, which is significant when talking about packs this light.

You're getting good advice here. That military pack you own is terrific, but empty it weighs almost twice as much as my two person tent, sleeping bag, pack, and pad combined (seriously). Unless you're planning on carrying 50 or 70 or 100 pounds, it's way overkill.

Good luck with the planning and the hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If you or someone you know can sew, quilts are easy projects. I have yet to see anyone on hammockforums say they tried an underquilt and went back to their pad or bubble wrap. Sleeping well cannot be overrated. 2 yds of climashield is $28 for 6oz/yd. You could have a complete underquilt for $50ish that will take you into the 20s.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Most of the packs that long distance hikers use have a big mesh pocket on the front, a couple of large side pockets, and usually a pair of hip belt pockets -- everything I need during the day fits in those pockets with the possible exception of lunch. Snacks go in my left hip belt pocket; gloves, hat, hand sanitizer go in the right; water bottle in each side pocket; the mesh front pocket holds my rain shell, map, rain cover, warm layer when I take it off, TP, etc.

The ULA has a rigid internal frame. The Circuit would be reasonable choice -- there are hundreds of them on the trail every year. We have owned three of them. I recently replaced mine with a Zpacks Arc Haul, which is similar but probably a little trickier to use. But it saves me about 12 ounces, which is significant when talking about packs this light.

You're getting good advice here. That military pack you own is terrific, but empty it weighs almost twice as much as my two person tent, sleeping bag, pack, and pad combined (seriously). Unless you're planning on carrying 50 or 70 or 100 pounds, it's way overkill.

Good luck with the planning and the hike.
    I already decided to take the advice on ditching the ILBE and saving it for camping not hiking. I was going to go to the local REI and get measured and while there look at the Gregory and Deuter packs. Mostly look! I'm still training with heavier weight so when I do cut back the weight I will actually be carrying I'll know I can go for the long haul.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NewHeart View Post
    I already decided to take the advice on ditching the ILBE and saving it for camping not hiking. I was going to go to the local REI and get measured and while there look at the Gregory and Deuter packs. Mostly look! I'm still training with heavier weight so when I do cut back the weight I will actually be carrying I'll know I can go for the long haul.

It it sounds like you are rethinking your entire gear set. if so then buy your pack last. You may end up needing a pack much, much smaller than you can imagine.

When I switched to "civilian gear" I went from 65l to 45 l to another lighter 45l to my current 25l over the full evolution that lasted about three years. When I was using a 65l I would have never believed that a 25l pack was possible. But as each piece of gear was replaced (or rereplaced) I significantly reduced volume. As I whittled down the amount of stuff such as extra clothes the volume reduced as did the need for 100 pockets on the pack.

Buying you pack last will help avoid buy multiples as you hone your gear list down.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    It it sounds like you are rethinking your entire gear set. if so then buy your pack last. You may end up needing a pack much, much smaller than you can imagine.

When I switched to "civilian gear" I went from 65l to 45 l to another lighter 45l to my current 25l over the full evolution that lasted about three years. When I was using a 65l I would have never believed that a 25l pack was possible. But as each piece of gear was replaced (or rereplaced) I significantly reduced volume. As I whittled down the amount of stuff such as extra clothes the volume reduced as did the need for 100 pockets on the pack.

Buying you pack last will help avoid buy multiples as you hone your gear list down.
    I figured that was the way to go. I made my little alcohol pop can stove the other day. I still need to make the stand (something else I'm borrowing from the net) it is made from 14 ga wire. The whole kit should come in at about 30-35 grams minus the fuel. My headlamp is 88 grams with the batteries.

I have ordered (4) yards of 1.6oz HyperD and 7/64 Amsteel for my hammock. Just started looking at the mat'l for the UQ. I'm thinking the BD Ergo Cork trek or the Pro Shock poles. The Pro Shock have rubber grip and 3oz heavier.

My experience with the BD Pro-Shock is that the spring mechanism clicks a lot. Bothersome on hard surfaces … I'm 95kg and well-aged, so perhaps the antishock is worthwhile. But there are times I wish I'd bought lighter…

Bruce Traillium

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    My experience with the BD Pro-Shock is that the spring mechanism clicks a lot. Bothersome on hard surfaces … I'm 95kg and well-aged, so perhaps the antishock is worthwhile. But there are times I wish I'd bought lighter…

Bruce Traillium
    You got 3 years on me and a bit heavier. I had read something about the rubber grips vs the cork. I can't remember which was better.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Regarding weight, there's no reason that your big 3 (pack, tent, bag) should weigh any more than, say, 10 lbs. If you are going solo you can get away with a very light tent, 3 lbs or so. Bags, go sub-kilo (2.2 lbs). Packs, under 3 lbs easy if you go with Gossamer, Six Moon Designs, Golite, etc (maybe not so much Gregory). If you sort out your big 3 you are half way there, weight wise. Best of luck.
    Most of my gear i'm planning on DYI stuff, that said, I'm spend Christmas day doing some ruff calculations on the stuff I've ordered. I've come up with this:

SL hammock - 13.9 oz (without tree straps)
    winter 12 rain fly - 16.1 oz (without stakes & tie downs)
    bottom entery bug net - 9 oz
    10* UC using 7.5 Climashield Apex - 30.9 oz (note if I go wit 5.0 it would be lighter, but my clothing would go up)
    TC about the same as UC - 30.9 oz
    (10) TI stakes & tie downs - 10 oz ruffly
    Kevlar tree huggers - 1.1 oz
    Gregory Stout 45 - 3.5 lbs (only for calculation purposes)

Grand total - 10.5 lbs

That could be under 10 if I use 5.0 instead of 7.5 APEX.

I used a Baltaro in 2012 and will use it again in 2016. I only got about 1/2 way in 2012 when I developed a heart problem. The Gregory Baltaro is a heavier pack but I liked the access, comfort and the fit. The ultra lite packs I saw had some tearing problems , most likely from Over packing. All that has been said here is valuable information that will take some time to figure out, what works for one hiker might not work for another. A couple of things I did before I went and I'll do again is to have a physio do a muscle evaluation, that is to figure out and to balance my leg strength. If both legs are equally the same strength I believe that I will have a better chance of reducing injuries to the hips, knees and ankle. The other item I cannot stress enough is foot wear. I witness more hikers leaving the trail due blister that did not heal or simply got bigger and bigger due to improper fit of the boots. I'm sure that you can find out from this site the multiple ways of lacing and how to determine a proper fitting boot. You will most likely go through two pairs so might want to pre break in the second pair and have them mailed to you when needed. I started out with an expensive pair of Zamblins which killed my feet and at the NOC I switched to Oboz which were wonderful, the second pair I purchased, same size and type sucked, so now I'm using Keens because of the wide toe box. Like most sports especially skiing, if your feet are warm, dry, and comfortable you'll have a great day. Oh ya one more thing, Fuel, that is fuel for your body, be sure of what you need to power your way each day, mine was pasta and when I hit a town I stuffed myself with salads. I don't know why the salads but that's what I craved and ate when in town. Good Luck. PS I had to have a PVA, that's were they burn the inside of the pulmonary chamber to prevent the electrical storms I was having, it took a while to heal. Maybe see you out there.
    "Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, smoldering and totally worn out, shouting...Holy S*#t...what a ride"

I see the OP is concerned about accessing things in his pack.
    I carry a small "ditty bag" that holds my: sewing kit, first aid kit (basically just aspirin and duct tape and small neosporin), spoon, lighter, razor blade, dental floss, toothbrush and tiny toothpaste (refill in town), can opener (P38), fire starter, and (if traveling in winter): small headlamp (if summer, the only light I carry is the small keychain photon II). Small eyedrop holder with chlorine for water treatment, and my reading glasses.
    I don't know what else you'd need to access besides water.
    Perhaps a camera and if I carry one, I would sew a small pocket onto my shoulder strap in the front that would be easily accessible because I don't use a hipbelt.
    That small ditty bag fits into one side mesh pocket (16 oz waterbottle goes in the other one)
    I keep my fleece jacket and food bag on top of my pack and I'm good for any rest stop, except cooking gear (which I usually only do at night)
    So, everything is accessible, and no need for a bunch or pockets that add weight to any pack.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

It is still a work in progress. I'm hoping to have everything sorted out by the end of March. I have been training in a pair of Under Armor early season hunting boots. I bought them for bow hunting and they have become my favorite thing to wear. They are light weight and comfortable. I wear either a pair of Gold toe Power socks for colder days and on warmer days a pair of Stanley work socks. Next week i will be heading to REI to get measured for a pack and to check out shoes/boots.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I see the OP is concerned about accessing things in his pack.
    The ditty bag is a good idea. I guess access isn't the real issue, because of my heart transplant I need to take pills 5 times a day, every day. Right now, I take 19 at 8am alone. A total of 40 a day. Some of which make it necessary for me wear long sleeves and pants instead of shorts and a tee. I am Immunol-suppressed because of the heart. Am I overly concerned and cautious? Yes! I am an old boy scout and still remember "Be Prepared".

I am taking in everything that I am being told and working to make the necessary changes where I can. The areas that "might" have effect on my health I won't. I know I haven't even scratched the surface of what I need to know. Water filtration and purification is a major issue because of infection. Again, to error on the side of caution I will be using both filter and purifier.

I wan to thank all of you for your input in an effort to make this easier for me. I really appreciate it! I'm not planning on racing thru this, just finishing. One foot in front of the other. I hope to meet some of you along the way.

Journal Entries

You need your meds. They dont weigh that much.
    Infection prevention, fair enough. Nothing wrong with belt and suspenders approach.
    Long sleeves is good. But darn near incapacitating in summer heat and humidity. Get something loose and ventillated like railriders if you must go that route in hot weather.

These really dont add up to much excess weight at all. Throw out your old boyscout mentality. Extra stuff does nothing but work against you. Take exactly what you need, and only what you need. You can do this.

The lighter you are, the farther and faster you walk each day. The trail becomes smaller. A 45 mile stretch between resupplies, can be a 4 day hike, or an overnight hike, depending on you and your pack.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-25-2015 at 23:58.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You need your meds. They dont weigh that much.
    Infection prevention, fair enough. Nothing wrong with belt and suspenders approach.
    Long sleeves is good. But darn near incapacitating in summer heat and humidity. Get something loose and ventillated like railriders if you must go that route in hot weather.
    Thanks Muddy, In the last two years I've had to discard most of my old wardrobe because of the weight lose I had and replaced it with a lot of Columbia wear. My summer clothing consists of mostly Omni-Shade UL shirts and convertible pants. They are well ventilated wick moister away and dry in the slightest of breezes. I have a set of Cabela's fleece base layers to sleep in on colder nights. I have heard a lot about AntiGravity rain gear hear, a bit to pricey for me. Has anyone used the FrogTogs? Any thoughts?

Journal Entries

Muddy, I took a look at the Railriders page! I like what I see!! Thanks a bunch!

Dutchware sells 6.0 oz/sq yd climashield if you are debating between 5 and 7.5.

Journal Entries

Any recommendation on the cook set? There too many to choose from! And as Yoda said, "choose wisely".

Images

I take 2 prescriptions daily and 5 supplements, all at one time. I've always tied the daily pills together in a square of cling wrap cutting off the excess. The daily packages go into a pint ziploc freezer bag. I usually start out carrying a month supply, then replenish from a bounce box every 2 weeks or so in towns where I plan a zero. Like others here I usually use USPS priority mail unless the destination requires UPS or Fedex. All 3 have tracking. Since your meds are so critical, I'd consider carrying an additional week supply in a separate Ziploc or Opsak. I suggest you ask your doc to write up scripts for 1 month supplies should some SNAFU in shipping occur. I just packaged up 12 weeks supply for the Florida Trail and was surprised just how much they weigh. For what it's worth I hiked for a week with a fellow named Fiveway. He'd had 5 bypasses and 5 stents. He had spent something like 5 hours on a treadmill before getting the OK from his doc to hike. Turned out he left the trail due to an injury: fractured metatarsal. He was carrying a way too heavy pack. +1 on recommendations for ULA Catalyst or Circuit. Finally, you will definitely need an underquilt. My hiking partner switched to a hammock in NY and was cold without one in mid-summer. I found that sleeping on the ground on my super cushy Themarest Xtherm inside a tent to be much warmer than on a shelter platform. Nonetheless, I generally sleep in a shelter if there's space, especially if it's raining or likely to. Much faster pack up in the AM.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

[QUOTE=MuddyWaters;2027892 Long sleeves is good. But darn near incapacitating in summer heat and humidity. Get something loose and ventillated like railriders if you must go that route in hot weather.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys! I'm new here but I do have some experience in wearing what some would see as "incapacitating" clothing in the summer. I perform at a renaissance Faire in Wisconsin every summer wearing up to 4 layers of fairly heavy clothing with everything covered but my hands, neck, and face all while being active with walking, dancing, etc. It can be done but needs to be done smart.

Staying hydrated is the big one; little drinks often. If you can't remember the last time you took a drink, take a drink. If your brain says to you, "it's just too hot", take a drink. You get the idea. Just avoid drinking a lot at once and getting that sloshy feeling in your belly. Also, in really hot weather, drinking something other than just plain water occasionally during the day will help, such as Gatorade, Emergen-C, or the like. You need to keep your electrolytes balanced. Of course, with your heart condition, I bet you know a lot more about your electrolytes than most people.

The other big one is the fabrics you wear. While we have to wear linen and wool for the historical aspect of it, I have learned that actually they are among the most comfortable. They wick away the moisture and dry reasonably quickly at night for the next day's wear, which is exactly what you want for hiking, but I am sure more modern fabrics can do this even better. Again, as with everything, do your research and be happy you don't have to hike on a 90-some degree day with humidity in a corset.

Finally, I have to say, I am inspired by you going out on the AT with all your medical issues. I have just recently decided to start backpacking and was wondering if my "old" (56 years) body could do it....I am certain now that if you can, I can.

If you can't find an alternative to your ILBE pack you can lighten it up by cutting off any parts that you don't need (radio pocket, MOLLE, lengths of cinch straps that arent being used, etc). It might not be a bad idea for you to invest in a SPOT just incase you have a medical emergency out on the trail.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++