WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Laundry & Showers along the AT

Hi everyone!
    I'm planning on starting a flip flop hike in April from HF north, I haven't really decided if I'm going to have enough money to finish and hike HF south so I'm mainly asking about places between Maryland and Maine. I was hoping to get a shower and do laundry about once a week, every 7-10 days but I'm not having much luck finding places in towns. Anybody who has thru hiked have suggestions about this? Am I being too optimistic about showering & laundering that often? Thanks!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

The AT Guide has that information, you can purchase it at http://www.atguide.com
    In Maryland there are free showers at Dahlgren Campground.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Just about every town will have a opportunity to get a shower and do laundry. It is called a motel/hostel.

Laundry isn't much of a problem, most towns have a laundromat. Showers are more of a problem since you generally have to swing for a motel and there aren't many cheap hostels or motels in the north. To make it affordable you really need to split a room with someone. It's a shame laundromats don't have coin operated showers, they got the hot water right there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Well, there's always this option for a shower. Skip the hot wax. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW7ptslqeyk
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default AT Thru Hikers' Companion Hostel, Camping & Shower Appendix

Since 2006, there has been an appendix in the Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion that identifies the Hostel, Camping and Shower only information from all the other text and table information the guide provides. This year's edition has these resources indexed by the milepost north of Springer making it easier to plan. Many hikers have told us how this has helped them to minimize their town expenses. The book is free for ALDHA members and is available as a .pdf for use in any tablet or smartphone or to have on your computer.
    MrsGorp

Do you have AWOL? I just finished my thru hike and I don't feel like it was too long between showers for me.

Boiling Sings PA- Shower at Pool
    Duncannon PA - You can pay for just a shower I think but rooms are only like 20 or 25 bucks, laundromat in town
    Port Clinton PA - You can pay for a shower at the hotel/bar, they might have laundry there? check AWOL
    DWG - Donation based Shower and laundry at the church hostel
    Vernon NJ - Donation based Shower and laundry at church hostel
    Dalton MA - Shower and laundry at a trail angels house, not sure if he'll be accepting hikers in this year though but AWOL will tell you, there may be shower and laundry at the nearby church hostel as well, I just didn't stay there
    Manchester Center VT - You can probably pay for shower and laundry at the hostel
    Glencliff NH - Don't miss it, shower, laundry, and a chilled out palce to relax before the whites.
    North Woodstock - Trail Angels house,shower and laundry. ask around
    Rangeley ME - I think you can pay for just a shower and laundry but it's worth it to stay here
    Caratunk ME - SHower and laundry at Sterling Inn
    Monson Me - Shaws or the Lakehouse

There's tons of other towns and places to do these things, this is just what I did. All of the top of my memory, crazy how it sticks with you
    My best suggestion is to buy Awol and formulate a plan for yourself, or just figure it out as you go. The trail will provide.
    AT2015 GA-ME

Also I typically found myself taking more showers than washing clothes.
    AT2015 GA-ME

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    Since 2006, there has been an appendix in the Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Companion that identifies the Hostel, Camping and Shower only information from all the other text and table information the guide provides. This year's edition has these resources indexed by the milepost north of Springer making it easier to plan. Many hikers have told us how this has helped them to minimize their town expenses. The book is free for ALDHA members and is available as a .pdf for use in any tablet or smartphone or to have on your computer.
    MrsGorp

Thank you! I paid for the membership and downloaded the pdf and found the showers and laundry section.

Quote Originally Posted by Pajj View Post
    Do you have AWOL? I just finished my thru hike and I don't feel like it was too long between showers for me.

Boiling Sings PA- Shower at Pool
    Duncannon PA - You can pay for just a shower I think but rooms are only like 20 or 25 bucks, laundromat in town
    Port Clinton PA - You can pay for a shower at the hotel/bar, they might have laundry there? check AWOL
    DWG - Donation based Shower and laundry at the church hostel
    Vernon NJ - Donation based Shower and laundry at church hostel
    Dalton MA - Shower and laundry at a trail angels house, not sure if he'll be accepting hikers in this year though but AWOL will tell you, there may be shower and laundry at the nearby church hostel as well, I just didn't stay there
    Manchester Center VT - You can probably pay for shower and laundry at the hostel
    Glencliff NH - Don't miss it, shower, laundry, and a chilled out palce to relax before the whites.
    North Woodstock - Trail Angels house,shower and laundry. ask around
    Rangeley ME - I think you can pay for just a shower and laundry but it's worth it to stay here
    Caratunk ME - SHower and laundry at Sterling Inn
    Monson Me - Shaws or the Lakehouse

There's tons of other towns and places to do these things, this is just what I did. All of the top of my memory, crazy how it sticks with you
    My best suggestion is to buy Awol and formulate a plan for yourself, or just figure it out as you go. The trail will provide.

This is a tremendous help, thank you!! Some of these places I already had but some I hadn't heard of yet.

Yes, you should shower once a week whether you need it or not.

Mrs Gorp
    Images

GREAT sommervl!!!

Welcome to ALDHA too!

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Yes, you should shower once a week whether you need it or not.
    "A bath? Why yes, I get a bath in the spring, a couple when we find water on the cattle drive, then a real good one in the fall" Will Penny

I bring a 10 L fold up bucket and the bottom of a 1/2 gal. milk jug, and a bottle cap with holes for a spray. clean water in the bucket soapy water in the milk jug spray to rinse. I can have a bath any time I want.

++ New Posts ++