WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Whey you ask what's best, every one just tells you what they are wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by High Mileage View Post
    As I've said in another thread I'm ready to try out the Zero drop/wide toe box Altra Olympus 2.0s.
    They are the last Gen but are $50 or so cheaper so I'll just count on the other ones too be better if I like them.
    used the Altra Superior 2.0 in the Smokies and they were GREAT!!

Anything that fits your feet. I personally love my Altra Lone Peaks. I hiked over 700 continuous miles in the same pair before replacing them. The wide toe box and zero drop sole make them beyond comfortable and they have a lot of things about them that make them perfect for hiking.

Go to an outfitter and try on shoes till you find one that fits the best for your feet. You will then have the best shoe for you. If that outfitter doesn't have anything continue until you find them. There are a couple of outfitters here, where I live, that will allow you to wear them for a week and try them out, I also have read on here and other blogs that REI have a good return policy. I totally ignore what other people are wearing as it has no bearing on the shoe for me.

With that out of the way, I use a New Balance 910v3 4E, best shoe I have found to date for MY FEET.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Go to an outfitter and try on shoes till you find one that fits the best for your feet. You will then have the best shoe for you. If that outfitter doesn't have anything continue until you find them. There are a couple of outfitters here, where I live, that will allow you to wear them for a week and try them out, I also have read on here and other blogs that REI have a good return policy. I totally ignore what other people are wearing as it has no bearing on the shoe for me.

With that out of the way, I use a New Balance 910v3 4E, best shoe I have found to date for MY FEET.
    I agree with all of the above - there are so many different kinds of shoes because everyone's feet are different.

The New Balance trail runners (I have 610v4's if memory serves) work pretty well for MY FEET, too, except that MY FEET find the factory insoles worthless so I replace them with green Superfeet. But YOUR FEET are no doubt different.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    except that MY FEET find the factory insoles worthless so I replace them with green Superfeet. But YOUR FEET are no doubt different.
    Is there really anyone out there that uses the factory insoles?

I think all the shoe companies have shares in the insole companies!
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

I researched and learned that if you have a shoe that fits YOU properly and you keep your feet dry, you won't get blisters.

Many people say that the waterproof boots/ shoes aren't waterproof, and eventually your feet will be wet - and the waterproof boots stay wet longer (don't dry as fast) as lighter weight shoes/ boots.

Wool socks, never cotton. Wool wicks moisture away, cotton just holds the moisture. Some people wear lightweight synthetic socks under their wool socks.

The most expensive, most popular shoe or boot is worthless if it doesn't fit YOUR feet. Try them all on, buy the one that fits your feet the best. Go a half size larger than what fits normally - your feet swell after hiking a few miles.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Many people say that the waterproof boots/ shoes aren't waterproof, and eventually your feet will be wet - and the waterproof boots stay wet longer (don't dry as fast) as lighter weight shoes/ boots.
    True enough. Every boot has a big hole in it - the one your ankle goes in - and water gets in through that hole if nowhere else.

There are trails and times when you simply cannot keep your feet dry, or cannot get them dry again if they get wet. Waterproofing your feet with some sort of water-repellent starts to make sense then. Skurka sells something (Bonnie's Balm? Some name like that...) for the job. The brand I happen to have used lately is Gurney Goo. Even petroleum jelly will work if you have nothing better. Apply it starting the day before you go hiking, and reapply every time you wash your feet - which should be frequent, since in those conditions, you're sure to get abrasive mud in your socks. If I'm hiking in beaver swamp, I wash my feet and socks at least once in the middle of the day. I bring a nylon bucket, and get rid of the washwater well away from trail or water.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Is there really anyone out there that uses the factory insoles?

I think all the shoe companies have shares in the insole companies!
    I've never replaced the insoles.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Journal Entries
    Images

I can vouch for Merrill Moab Ventilators, non-waterproof mids. They also make it in a low. Put in some Superfeet insoles and your dogs will love you.

As was probably said, the best shoe is the one that fits the best. That being said, I have tried a Merrill, Danner, and a New Balance. I like the La Sportive Wildcats the best. Hard bottom, light, dry fast and very comfortable up to 40 pounds of gear.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Wool socks, never cotton. Wool wicks moisture away, cotton just holds the moisture. Some people wear lightweight synthetic socks under their wool socks.
    The better sock combination (IMHO), is to wear coolmax socks over lightweight liners. Coolmax is a better wicking material that wool. If you are not hiking in winter, then there's really no benefit of wool if it's not against the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    As was probably said, the best shoe is the one that fits the best. That being said, I have tried a Merrill, Danner, and a New Balance. I like the La Sportive Wildcats the best. Hard bottom, light, dry fast and very comfortable up to 40 pounds of gear.
    i liked the wildcats too, but they wore out a little to quick for me, the mesh top anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jshannon View Post
    I have been liking the Saucony trail running shoes.
    During my Colorado Trail hike this summer I switched to Saucony perigrines from my la sportive wildcats.

I loved the switch!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++