WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking shoe for long distant trek

Any reviews on the best hiking shoe for long distance backpacking? I am looking at the Keen Durand Low WP.

No such thing as the best. We all have different feet.

Brooks cascadia's seem to be a big hit though

There are dozens of threads that cover this topic from the past year or two alone that can be accessed with a search. You may find some discussions in a search interesting. Otherwise, the consensus tends to be try on everything that you can find and use a process of elimination on a shoe that fits well.

Chacos!!! Only need 1-2 pairs, feet will breathe, and they're wonderful for preventing/helping plantar fasciitis!

Opted not to buy keens because I've been reading that last year's run have been falling apart sadly. I went with la sportiva ecos which are ok...also check out oboz.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

La Sportiva Wildcats are really comfortable and last a long long time. They are discontinuing this line or the green color ones (not sure which) so you can find some good deals on leftovers. they use European sizing which is kind of tricky to get right.

As I've said in another thread I'm ready to try out the Zero drop/wide toe box Altra Olympus 2.0s.
    They are the last Gen but are $50 or so cheaper so I'll just count on the other ones too be better if I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandlisas View Post
    La Sportiva Wildcats are really comfortable and last a long long time. They are discontinuing this line or the green color ones (not sure which) so you can find some good deals on leftovers. they use European sizing which is kind of tricky to get right.
    Where did you find this info out? I couldn't find any info but the prices dropped a lot in the last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Merrel Moab, Keen Voyagers and Oboz Sawtooth - all similar low top hiking shoes. Many prefer trail runners which will be slightly lighters but I have not gone that route yet. I do not use "waterproof" shoes. The well ventilated ones dry faster. But as stated above, everyone's feet are different. You must find one that fits you.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Tore up a bunch of cheap New Balance, maildropped by Amazon. Worked fine for about 400 miles per pair. Once I hit NH I picked up some Salomon Pro Mid GTX. Never looked back...

I have been liking the Saucony trail running shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brup Bup View Post
    Chacos!!! Only need 1-2 pairs, feet will breathe, and they're wonderful for preventing/helping plantar fasciitis!
    I agree 100%

How were the Moab's? I have large feet and those are some of the few brands that come in large sizes so I thought I would give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by jlp1976 View Post
    How were the Moab's? I have large feet and those are some of the few brands that come in large sizes so I thought I would give them a try.
    I've been through the gauntlet of buying dozens of different shoes, only to discover that they're fine for everyday wear, but not for hiking over ten miles, the point at which they start causing problems with my feet.

When I tried the Moab Ventilators, they were a perfect fit FOR ME. They are the widest shoe I've found that keeps a narrow heel width. I'm able to oversize them one and a half sizes without slipping in the heel.

Of course every persons foot is different so all you can do is try them.

Garlic
    Images

If there were one perfect shoe, there'd only be one shoe. The shoe that's perfect for me feels like the box it came in for others. I only wish that everyone else has better luck than I did finding the right fit. For me it was five different shoes and several million painful steps over 2000 miles of the PCT before I found something really good, after trying all the brands my friends swore by. By the time I hiked the AT a few years later, I did so without foot pain, but I sure paid my dues before that.

One tip for wide feet, New Balance are often available in EE and EEEE.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by jimandlisas View Post
    Been thinking I needed to get an extra pair. Sounds like maybe that's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by StichBurly View Post
    I agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Brup Bup View Post
    Had one pair of chacos, they lasted me from monson Maine all the way to springer. Feet didn't blister once and they double as camp shoes

Journal Entries

Any trail runner that fits YOUR foot.

Images

I have wide feet so my options are really limited...........really like Keen's, I am 57, weigh 220lbs and need some support - that to me is the issue. I wore a pair of light trail runners in TN/NC, feet felt like hamburger meat every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    I have wide feet so my options are really limited...........really like Keen's, I am 57, weigh 220lbs and need some support - that to me is the issue. I wore a pair of light trail runners in TN/NC, feet felt like hamburger meat every night.
    I'm the same weight as you with a high volume foot and have had luck with LA Sportiva Wildcats as long as I limit the load to below 25 pounds and trips of only a few days. Longer than that and my feet get too beat up. I like my Keen Targhee IIs but don't use much since they are not very durable in rough conditions. I've had them delaminate after only a few trips. My go to boot for loads over 25 pounds and for longer trips are Vasque St Eliases. They come in wide widths and are very comfortable, we'll cushioned and lightweight for that class of boot.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++