WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    can someone please tell me why anyone would bother taking the straps and baskets off a set of polls? weight is all i can think of. if there some other advantage?

and if its really to save weight... c'mon.

and if you take the straps off, have you ever tried using them correctly? i mean if so and you didnt like it, great, but i often suspect a great many people who decide to not use the straps werent using them the right way.
    I use my trekking poles for my tarp. The pole tips go into a pouch in the tarp. The walls are so steep on the tarp, that the baskets get in the way. Take them off in the Summer. I use my straps.

Images

can someone please tell me why anyone would bother taking the straps and baskets off a set of polls? weight is all i can think of. if there some other advantage?

and if its really to save weight... c'mon.

and if you take the straps off, have you ever tried using them correctly? i mean if so and you didnt like it, great, but i often suspect a great many people who decide to not use the straps werent using them the right way.
    Couple of reasons.... Yes, I know how to use straps what some people call "the right way", when I took a basic trekking class many years ago our instructors showed us the "proper" way (hands up through straps, then down on the handles, etc), and this is what I did. then I noticed I stopped using this method because it tended to get in the way when the terrain was fairly steep down, precisely where I most wanted to use the pole, to save weight impact on my aging knees/ankles. So I noticed I was more comfortable not using straps at all, so I quit using them. Then, I realized I actually preferred to use only one single pole, and I would switch the pole back and forth between the two hands quite often, depending on the trail. Easier to do this when not using straps. I'm now a one-pole, no strap, fixed pole length hiker, this has been the evolution of what works best for me. Not using straps is also a bit of a carryover from my type of skiing; one does NOT ever use straps when bashing down through the trees, which is what I like best (catch a pole on a tree branch if you're using straps? Not good).

Strap weight: trivial, HOWEVER, that too is a philosophy: If you never use something, why carry it? The rule of thumb is that 1 pound of weight on you feet is equivalent to 5 pounds of weight on your back in terms of energy usage. I believe this applies to poles as well, as you are lifting/dropping your poles just as many times as you lift your feet, or in my case, because I use only one pole, half as many times. It takes 5 million steps to hike the AT, right? That's 5 million times lifting and placing a pole (2.5M for me). Shaving even a fraction of an ounce doesn't hurt, does it? A basic UL philosophy: if you never ever use it, don't carry it. I also use the lightest poles available (when I bought them), the BD Zpoles. Fixed length, fold into thirds, compact, easy to stow when not using, very light.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    On, for all the reasons mentioned, plus if they're off, you collect leaves in the fall.
    +
    Collect a small amt even with them. But without, probably climb right up to your grips.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Precisely why I will use rubber tips during spring, summer, and fall. I take those off when on rock or the terrain demands a very sure grip. The tips provide the added feature of not spiking holes along the sides of the treadway and reduces erosion.
    I have half dozen of these ive picked up off trail if you need any spares. Not sure how they come off, but seems people lose them from some poles. Maybe cheapos. We had a scout lose one of his once on a 5 mile hike, found it on return leg. Cheap walmart poles.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-14-2016 at 08:58.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Migrating Bird View Post
    Poles, not Polls. I'll give it a shot why to take straps and baskets off. Most of my hiking is in the Northeast with lots of roots, rocks and mud. I learned long ago not to use straps as a downhill ski pattroller. When a pole gets stuck, whether downhill skiing or hiking, I just let go and retrieve, no wrist issues, no twisting and getting thrown off balance. Regarding baskets, those are off for summer, large baskets for winter. One reason is that after the pole is planted and then pivoted forward, the basket is more likely to get hung up by the obstacle when retrieving. Regarding mud, if the basket goes in, it is much more difficult to get out. Any pole in deep mud is useless anyway. I do not "stab" the ground with force, but lightly touch the poles down. They are for balance (like a high wire acrobat) cadence and occasional support on downhills where pole placement is most critical. Leaves are an issue with or without baskets, without baskets a simple light wipe against a tree, rock or root will instantly remove a leaf or two, if your hauling leaves you don't need poles you need a rake. Works for me.
    so within this thread we "i take them off, keeps them from getting stuck" and "i leave them on. keeps them from getting stuck."

interesting.

mine are on because they came with them on and ive never seen any reason to remove them. and because i cant imagine doing so would cause a problem.

my straps are on because once i learned how to use the straps correctly i really cant see how poles are worth bothering with otherwise. yes i know they can be used without the straps, but to me, what they are capable of doing without the straps renders them not helpful enough to use.

as for safety, just let go of the pole. they arent strapped that securely to your wrist and you arent downhill skiing with them. if youre moving that fast youre moving too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I have half dozen of these ive picked up off trail if you need any spares. Not sure how they come off, but seems people lose them from some poles. Maybe cheapos. We had a scout lose one of his once on a 5 mile hike, found it on return leg. Cheap walmart poles.
    I've noticed that myself, more of late too. My hiking buddy bought a close out model from BD that has a smaller diameter tip assembly than the recommended tips can hold to when they get into soft dirt/mud and lost them. I suspect there are some "fit" issues either from the manufacturers changing diameters of the tip assemblies, or the rubber tips. A quick drill and safety wire took care of that. My poles for some reason hang on to tips until they literally wear out, though I am tempted to wire them on since I take them off for various conditions I don't yet.

Images

so within this thread we "i take them off, keeps them from getting stuck" and "i leave them on. keeps them from getting stuck."

interesting. mine are on because they came with them on and ive never seen any reason to remove them. and because i cant imagine doing so would cause a problem.
    blah, blah, blah.....
    as for safety, just let go of the pole. they arent strapped that securely to your wrist and you arent downhill skiing with them. if youre moving that fast youre moving too fast.
    I have no idea what your first sentence means.

HYOH, pal, I'm just describing my method, not badmouthing yours.

Not that it pertains to this thread, but I doubt if you get what skiing is about, as even loose straps are a real hazard at even very modest skiing in trees; a tree-snag of a ski basket would yank hard on an arm, potentially causing serious damage. No one I know ever ever uses straps when skiing trees.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I have no idea what your first sentence means.

HYOH, pal, I'm just describing my method, not badmouthing yours.

Not that it pertains to this thread, but I doubt if you get what skiing is about, as even loose straps are a real hazard at even very modest skiing in trees; a tree-snag of a ski basket would yank hard on an arm, potentially causing serious damage. No one I know ever ever uses straps when skiing trees.
    my first sentence states that within this thread we have had expressed the same reasoning for both removing and leaving the baskets on.

correct, i know nothing of skiing, besides thinking that what you do with ski poll straps has little to nothing to do with what you do with hiking poll straps. i was not talking about skiing when i was talking about the safety of polls and speed. not entirely sure why you thought (it seems?) i was.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I use my trekking poles for my tarp. The pole tips go into a pouch in the tarp. The walls are so steep on the tarp, that the baskets get in the way. Take them off in the Summer. I use my straps.
    I used to pitch my tarp in porch mode the same way. However, I switched to pole tip down when I saw a video of the cork handles destroyed by varmints gnawing at the salt build up. Just something to consider. Never really had an issue with either pole end set up, so now it's habit to go with the handle up.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Images

interesting.

mine are on because they came with them on and ive never seen any reason to remove them. and because i cant imagine doing so would cause a problem.

my straps are on because once i learned how to use the straps correctly i really cant see how poles are worth bothering with otherwise. yes i know they can be used without the straps, but to me, what they are capable of doing without the straps renders them not helpful enough to use.

I think you hit the nail on the head, you "imagine" on how to use poles without straps. Not trying to start a fight I respect your opinion and experience. I am just explaining what works for me and all the miles of hiking I have done without straps or baskets. Here's a couple more examples on why I do not use them.

River crossings, please never have your straps on, if you fall, try ditching your pack or swimming with poles strapped to your wrists. If you "imagine" you can easily ditch your poles, I strongly disagree. If your worried you will loose your pole, get a grip. Baskets also result in greater force (force x distance) from flowing water against the larger surface area. This requires you to use more arm strength to counteract that force.

Hiking along, I can quickly and easily swap one pole to the other hand without breaking stride, no fiddling with the strap and thereby freeing up one hand to do what ever. Letting the pole dangle by the strap as I reach for a water bottle or bite valve doesn't work for me. I find it a pain with straps on which in some situations requires the opposite hand to remove or put on the strap. When I get to a scramble section I just toss my poles up or down. I can also effortlessly change my grip so the pole is up right to knockdown spider webs for example.

Once again, I'm explaining what works for me and why based upon my experience. Yours may vary.

Images

I think you hit the nail on the head, you "imagine" on how to use poles without straps. Not trying to start a fight I respect your opinion and experience. I am just explaining what works for me and all the miles of hiking I have done without straps or baskets. Here's a couple more examples on why I do not use them.

River crossings, please never have your straps on, if you fall, try ditching your pack or swimming with poles strapped to your wrists. If you "imagine" you can easily ditch your poles, I strongly disagree. If your worried you will loose your pole, get a grip. Baskets also result in greater force (force x distance) from flowing water against the larger surface area. This requires you to use more arm strength to counteract that force.

Hiking along, I can quickly and easily swap one pole to the other hand without breaking stride, no fiddling with the strap and thereby freeing up one hand to do what ever. Letting the pole dangle by the strap as I reach for a water bottle or bite valve doesn't work for me. I find it a pain with straps on which in some situations requires the opposite hand to remove or put on the strap. When I get to a scramble section I just toss my poles up or down. I can also effortlessly change my grip so the pole is up right to knockdown spider webs for example.

Once again, I'm explaining what works for me and why based upon my experience. Yours may vary.

actually i was "imagining" removing the baskets. i also can't imagine any reason to pick up moose pellets and eat them, but i'm not going to try it just to make sure i'm correct. i may, however, ask someone who tells me they do it why it is they do it.

of course i do make river crossings with my hands through the straps. i also do it with my pack straps unbuckled. i do NOT, however, remove the straps from my pack and throw them away because of this.

as for the straps, ok, got all of that. you don't feel like there is a decrease in effectiveness of the poles by not using/having the straps? to me thats the key tradeoff and if i felt so encumbered by having my wrists in the straps as you do i would simply just not use the poles.

Images

a

of course i do make river crossings with my hands through the straps. i also do it with my pack straps unbuckled. i do NOT, however, remove the straps from my pack and throw them away because of this.

should be without my hands through the straps.

I've previously used a thin wooden staff, that I dried and varnished myself for my day hikes. Used it mostly for the holy crap I'm falling moments. other than that it was just something to keep my hands from getting numb at my side, and the occasional testing the depth of water or leaves.

Based on this thread, I'm going to use one pole with a strap and a basket, and the other pole with no strap or basket, upside down clearing spider webs while marching like a drum major.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I've previously used a thin wooden staff, that I dried and varnished myself for my day hikes. Used it mostly for the holy crap I'm falling moments. other than that it was just something to keep my hands from getting numb at my side, and the occasional testing the depth of water or leaves.

Based on this thread, I'm going to use one pole with a strap and a basket, and the other pole with no strap or basket, upside down clearing spider webs while marching like a drum major.
    Take a selfie and post here.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Would love to see someone actually lodge a trekking pole in mud upto the basket while walking normally.

Oz count for a lot more on your hands and feet than on your back. Take off what you don't need.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuacoatchoo View Post
    Would love to see someone actually lodge a trekking pole in mud upto the basket while walking normally.

Oz count for a lot more on your hands and feet than on your back. Take off what you don't need.

ever been to VT or ME??

Images

actually i was "imagining" removing the baskets. i also can't imagine any reason to pick up moose pellets and eat them, but i'm not going to try it just to make sure i'm correct. i may, however, ask someone who tells me they do it why it is they do it.

as for the straps, ok, got all of that. you don't feel like there is a decrease in effectiveness of the poles by not using/having the straps? to me thats the key tradeoff and if i felt so encumbered by having my wrists in the straps as you do i would simply just not use the poles.
    I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent at all. As stated, I respect your opinion, please be respectful of mine.

Thanks

ever been to VT or ME??
    Im thinking of the spot between East and West Bald Pate. Thats a deep mudhole.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuacoatchoo View Post

Not uncommon in New England when the upper soil strata thaws but remains frozen 6" below the surface. The melt water has no place to go and the soil becomes super saturated.

Images

I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intent at all. As stated, I respect your opinion, please be respectful of mine.

Thanks
    no, no offense

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++