WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Off in summer, on in winter (when there's snow on the ground).
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

I take them off because of all the brush, they get caught on. However I have broken two, by the tip getting stuck and lower third seperating and the lock mechanism getting snapped off, no more twist locks for me. Not sure the basket would have helped however.

Images

I like small baskets to prevent slipping into cracks as mentioned above, but I take them off in the snow. Maybe bigger baskets would work for the snow, but small baskets in the snow tent to get stuck after they sink in and the pole pitches forward as you take a step - you end up yanking the pole out of the snow as it follows a different path out than it did in.

Quote Originally Posted by VTATHiker View Post
    I like small baskets to prevent slipping into cracks as mentioned above, but I take them off in the snow. Maybe bigger baskets would work for the snow, but small baskets in the snow tent to get stuck after they sink in and the pole pitches forward as you take a step - you end up yanking the pole out of the snow as it follows a different path out than it did in.
    When I keep the small summer baskets on my poles I have the same problem. You may want to try a larger snow basket to reduce that problem. I found the Komperdell leather snow baskets which are slightly larger than typical baskets and flexible so they break the crust and tend to cause the break to fracture around the edges. This in turn allows the basket to pull from the break area without hanging up. Admittedly there are a few times this will happen in real heavy crust, but its not common.

Journal Entries

I switched to off, but also hike without the straps attached to my wrist and developed the skill of letting go of a 'stuck' pole as not to break it. With carbon poles the straps are IMHO useless, as one needs to let go to prevent breaking them, so with no straps, taking off the baskets are a easy decision. Not only lower weight but lower swing weight as they are at the end.

In winter I switch to AL poles w/ baskets for the snow.

So far we have 12 that take them off at least in the summer and 11 that leave them on all the time.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    So far we have 12 that take them off at least in the summer and 11 that leave them on all the time.
    Should be an easy decision with a coin toss....

It would be interesting to compile baskets on and off vs. which areas of the country people hike in.

For example, hiking in western Oregon, Washington, and/or BC with the little baskets off leads to an annoying amount of poles plunging to deeply into mud or soft ground. In more desert terrain, the baskets don't seem to be an advantage. In all places, the darn baskets get hung up on brush, so it can be a balancing act between, taking the baskets off to improve movement in brushy situations, and leaving them on for softer soil (often both happening on the same trail).

I have ended up keeping my baskets on most of the time. When the trail gets too brushy, I just carry the polls in my hand. Even without baskets, poles get in the way when the brush is thickest. And yes, for poles to be of any use at all in deep snow, of course, snow baskets are a must.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

On, but I will say the baskets for my poles are only about 1.75 in solid and have a notch that holds the other pole. For all the same reasons mentioned above. I will add they can and will also snag a vine on the basket but will release easily. I also use the tips on the points. I have lost and found many tips. So much more work to not use the tips, they go in to deep and tough to pull out.

Images

Sounds like this thread has become a pole poll, so: No baskets (or even straps) for me. I think baskets would be highly annoying on dry ground. I have a separate set of poles with large baskets I use in snow.

No baskets thank you.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

On, for all the reasons mentioned, plus if they're off, you collect leaves in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    On, for all the reasons mentioned, plus if they're off, you collect leaves in the fall.
    Yep, around here in the fall the leaves can work their way up the poles and before long you're hefting quite a stack of vegetation with every stride. But tiny baskets will do. The ones on the BD Distance poles are perfect IMO because they're small, and the tips themselves are also smaller and lighter than most. In the winter in the Adirondacks, heck yeah, big honkin' snow baskets—they make a huge difference.

Images

can someone please tell me why anyone would bother taking the straps and baskets off a set of polls? weight is all i can think of. if there some other advantage?

and if its really to save weight... c'mon.

and if you take the straps off, have you ever tried using them correctly? i mean if so and you didnt like it, great, but i often suspect a great many people who decide to not use the straps werent using them the right way.

On, keeps them from getting stuck in the rocks. (Now I understand the 10 characters comment.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    can someone please tell me why anyone would bother taking the straps and baskets off a set of polls? weight is all i can think of. if there some other advantage?

and if its really to save weight... c'mon.

and if you take the straps off, have you ever tried using them correctly? i mean if so and you didnt like it, great, but i often suspect a great many people who decide to not use the straps werent using them the right way.
    Poles, not Polls. I'll give it a shot why to take straps and baskets off. Most of my hiking is in the Northeast with lots of roots, rocks and mud. I learned long ago not to use straps as a downhill ski pattroller. When a pole gets stuck, whether downhill skiing or hiking, I just let go and retrieve, no wrist issues, no twisting and getting thrown off balance. Regarding baskets, those are off for summer, large baskets for winter. One reason is that after the pole is planted and then pivoted forward, the basket is more likely to get hung up by the obstacle when retrieving. Regarding mud, if the basket goes in, it is much more difficult to get out. Any pole in deep mud is useless anyway. I do not "stab" the ground with force, but lightly touch the poles down. They are for balance (like a high wire acrobat) cadence and occasional support on downhills where pole placement is most critical. Leaves are an issue with or without baskets, without baskets a simple light wipe against a tree, rock or root will instantly remove a leaf or two, if your hauling leaves you don't need poles you need a rake. Works for me.

I had the first set break off, so I have removed them since....

-

I always use the baskets for ear rings - so when in town folks with no sense of smell can tell I am a hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Precisely why I will use rubber tips during spring, summer, and fall. I take those off when on rock or the terrain demands a very sure grip. The tips provide the added feature of not spiking holes along the sides of the treadway and reduces erosion.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-14-2016 at 07:44.

Small diameter baskets that came with pole in non snow season. In the rocky whites, poles without baskets tend to get caught in the rocks more often. Good way to break pole tips. In the winter I switch over to snow baskets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++