Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Cool Change - Donating Member drsukie's Avatar
    Images

Default Long Hikes & That Fun Time of Month...

I have been lucky in my hiking experiences to be able to schedule most hikes away from THAT time.

I am planning on doing some longer hikes this winter, in prep for starting NOBO this Spring. My cycle is not excatly perfect anymore; I am in perimenopause, so things are not as easy to guess as they were. SO.. I am thinking of taking my birth control non-stop to avoid periods on the 6 month odyssey.

Any thoughts? All help will be thankfully accpeted! Sue

I found that my periods were both lighter and less frequent when hiking. On a six month hike, I'll usually only bleed every two or three months because of the change in diet and exertion. At this point of perimenopause (I'm 49), I only have a period every six months or so anyway, so I'm not that worried about next year. (I'll probably start on day one of the trip, but after that, I should be good.) Even if you do start, it's not that big a deal. Tampons don't weigh much, and you go to town often enough that the used ones are easy to dispose of every few days.

I recommend you check out the DivaCup: www.divacup.com.

I am a huge fan & will never go back to disposable products.

Images

If you're done with childbearing, check out Nova Sure, or one of the other endometrial oblation (sp?) procedures. Outpatient. Cures the problem permanently.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default Nuva Ring

If you decide to take the birth control pill route to skip menstruating, I would suggest checking out the Nuva Ring. I've used it for well over a year, but I've just recently started seeing ads on TV for it. It's a thin, flexible ring that provides continuous release of hormones, so you're always at the same level. Even taking the pill by mouth at the same time everyday, you have peaks and troughs of hormone levels...this eliminates that. And it eliminates you having to remember to take the pill everyday at the same time.

Whatever pill/ring you decide to use, you should start a few months ahead of time. Your body is accustomed to menstruating at (roughly) the same time every month, so you should expect some "breakthrough" for the first month or 2. My gynecologist recommends allowing a period every 3 months, but said going for 6 months (a thru-hike) would be okay. If you could, I would start now, stay on the "pill" for three months, allow a period right before you leave, then go for 6 months.

At www.nuvaring.com there is an offer for a free month if you want to give it a try.

I've been taking oral contraceptives for about 14 years now and recently switched to Seasonale, which is basically a 90-day continuous supply of contraceptives, thereby eliminating your periods to once every three months. Research has indicated that it is safe to postpone menstruation to once every six months, so two cycles of Seasonale will just about cover my thru-hike. I am on my 3rd cycle (8th month) of Seasonale and have not experiences any noticeable differences, other than fewer periods! I had very slight spotting once during the 1st cycle, but that was it.

However, as with any other oral contraceptive, it doesn't work the same way for everyone.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta
    If you're done with childbearing, check out Nova Sure, or one of the other endometrial oblation (sp?) procedures. Outpatient. Cures the problem permanently.
    Never started with childbearing, and at 46 have no plans to start now. As if I had the option, either....! But, I don't know if I want to do a surgical procedure this close to my trip. I think I will go with the totally unhealthy choice of taking non-stop birth control for the duration. Less pack weight, too! I like this idea for long-term though -- thanks! Sue
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Images

As surgical procedures go, Nova Sure isn't much. I went to work the day after, though I felt a bit crummy. The second day, I was fine. For me, the various pills didn't do the job. If they had, I probably would have left it at that. I hope they work for you.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

Marta - if that is the case, I will look into it. I have horrible visions of being swollen and painful for a week or more -- and since I am on my feet all day adjusting people, that would not be fun! Again, thanks....
    "there is no price too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - R. Kipling

Images

For me it was nothing like that. The whole recovery was less messy and painful than one period. Ask your doctor...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta
    For me it was nothing like that. The whole recovery was less messy and painful than one period. Ask your doctor...
    I talked to my GYN today - you are right, this is THE way to go! Especially since I've a tad high BP tight now (stress of ailing Dad, selling practice perhaps?) and am not a candidate for birth control pills. Not that I need the hormone cocktail right now anyway!

Thanks!!!! Sue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by julie
    I recommend you check out the DivaCup: www.divacup.com.

I am a huge fan & will never go back to disposable products.
    I have been reading about these devices since a similar thread about a year ago. I'm very skeptical. Has anyone tried more than one brand? Are there any significant differences? Has anyone tried it and NOT liked it?
    Camich

Quote Originally Posted by camich
    I have been reading about these devices since a similar thread about a year ago. I'm very skeptical. Has anyone tried more than one brand? Are there any significant differences? Has anyone tried it and NOT liked it?
    I've been researching this product too. The only negative review that I read was about a woman who could not remove it and had to go to a doctor. But the other 99% of reviews were whole-heartedly positive. It seems like the Divacup would be better because it is medical grade silicon (silicone?) rather than the rubber of the Keeper. I still haven't tried it, but hopefully someone else will have some advice.

Images

I've been wondering, too. My period gets REALLY heavy (changing a pad every hour, can't use tampons because of leakage) for about two days. Anyone with the same situation use the Diva Cup or Keeper?

rose, there's lunapanties that you could use as a backup. they're reusable.

I've had a few friends who rave about the 'keeper' and the 'diva cup'. GladRags sells tham and is an environmentally friendly company, uses organic cotton ( made in USA too I think). Apparently even the rubber is harvested 'fairly'and not by a big corporation, and is 100% natural - nothing added, no chemicals.

http://gladrags.com
    Last edited by Smile; 02-06-2006 at 10:09.
    ad astra per aspera

When I first got my divacup getting it in and out was a little rough but now I am used to it and it is no problem at all. The key is to relax. It cannot go away inside you, there is nowhere for it to go. If it goes up so far that you have a hard time getting it out, the next time you take a poop the pushing will bring it down (but not out, it won't come all the way out without your help.

It is about the size of an egg, I would say. To get it in you rinse it in hot water, pinch it flat, and fold it in half. You insert that and when it is about halfway in you let it pop open. The idea is that it is rigid enough to press against your vaginal walls and make a seal. Once it slides into place you cannot even feel it. There is a little stem at the bottom to pull it out with and sometimes that pokes a little but it is easy to rearrange things to your liking.

I wash mine two or three times a day (just along with washing my hands after using the bathroom, hot water and soap), then at the end of my period I boil it before I put it away. On the trail you could substitute that antibacterial hand cleanser stuff but I would still rinse it with water. On the website it says just rinse it with water you would swim in (i.e. it doesn't have to be filtered water).

I would say I have medium-heavy periods and I do just fine emptying it morning, noon and night. It even has ounces marked on it if you are into statistics. The other nice thing, since it is not absorbent like a tampon, is that you can insert it pre-emptively and if you don't get your period it is no big deal. No wasted tampon and no dried-out you.

I would say it is a little more work because you have to keep it clean but you never have to worry about running out of tampons or carrying used tampons. As far as cleanliness I think it is at least as clean as a tampon and there is no string to wick nasty bacteria up into you and no absorbent material for said bacteria to breed in.

I have found that the Diva cup was cheaper at my local health food store by 10 dollars than the one you order from their website.

I picked up a Diva Cup to try since reading about it on another long-distance hikers' forum. I love it. It's easy, feels cleaner than tampons - no leaks. Not at all. Not once. Wow. I'm taking one on my thru-hike this year, & I don't ever plan to go back to disposables.

Also, I noticed that I didn't need to wear it for as many days as I usually wear tampons. I asked my OB/GYN & she said that many women who use tampons experience "backflow" - meaning that their flow has nowhere to go, & so ends up in other places - it's what can cause endomitriosis. With the cup, my flow was finished in 2 & a half days instead of my more usual 5. I'm a believer.

It takes a day or two to get used to the motions of taking it out & putting it back in, but you can't feel it once it's there, & it's easy once you get the hang of it. Give it a try!

Talking

Another rave for the little reusable cup...I've been using the Keeper for 3 years, and I LOVE it! It has changed my periods completely! It is way cheaper, lessens cramps, has far far fewer health risks and is way more environmentally-friendly than disposable options! I even love that unlike pads and tampons, it does not pretend and to be sterile. Many women believe pads and tampons are sterile, like bandaids. They aren't. I also think that using a Keeper or DivaCup or whatever can help improve the image that women have of their menstruating selves--I like that the Keeper company emphasizes the fact that menstruation isn't gross or somehow unhygenic. I get to know how much I actually menstruate (there's a few lines inside to indicate ounces), which is sort of neat after just seeing it all absorbed mysteriously away.
    It took a couple periods to get used to, but now I can't imagine ever going back. Seriously. Do yourself a favor and get one. Then do the rest of the women in your life a favor and spread the word. Buy them as birthday presents!
    mle

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++