Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Default GREAT Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by latte
    I have used the Diva cup for a year. Before that I was using Instead, a disposable version of the same thing. I will never go back to pads and tampons. With the cup, there is no vaginal drying or desensitivity. It is very easy to clean too. However, I don't usually clean it in public bathrooms if others are present. I have a second clean one that I take with me to use. I wipe off the used one, put it in a ziploc baggie in my handbag, and clean it at home.

I have a different problem while hiking. My birth control pills work fine at home, but the day I start backpacking, I start breakthrough bleeding. So much so that I'll go through my clothes. I have to have something to deal with that. This year I forgot my Diva. There aren't too many resupplys in the 100 mile wilderness. I started bleeding so much that I had to tell my hiking partner (my brother) the situation. "If you see blood on my pants, don't freak!!" Very embarrasing. Didn't have enough toilet paper to solve the issue either. I've tried depo shots and others, but progesterone only products make me anxious and hyper. "Crazy woman" is not a trail name I want!!
    Hey Latte, I had never thought about purchasing a second one, and that might lower some of my (self-induced) stress I have about being clean enough during my thru-hike. I've been trying to figure out the actual "routine" one would go through, if out in the woods/privy as far as washing it off, in a timely manner so you're not out there w/your pants around your ankles for 10 minutes. So, if I had a second one, I could take care of business and then spend the time (fully clothed) cleaning the other one thoroughly. Hmmmm...thanks for your info!

Sorry to hear about your other problem...does this only happen while you're physically exerting yourself?
    The Most Important Things In Life Are Not Things....

Just a quick word about using pills to skip periods... I agree with the person who recommended to try it out for a few months first. The first time I tried it, I ended up spotting for about 7 days instead of having a 3 day period.

I'm definitely going to ask my doc about Seasonale or something similar. Has anyone tried Ortho Evra (the patch)? The girls in the commercial look like they're having a ball!

Questions about the diva cup:

If you leave it in too long, do you get overflow?

Although I'm not squeamish about my body or my period at all, I still think I would have a hard time removing, emptying, rinsing and re-inserting on the trail with my nasty fingers. I suppose hand sanitizer and wet wipes work for this, but I'm kind of an obsessive hand washer when it comes to my period. Okay, so that's not really a question. Just a thought.

Yes. If you leave it in too long, you can get overflow. Depends on how heavy your period is.

Mine is very light, so sometimes I forget and leave it in for more than 24 hours. OTOH I have had the rare heavier day where I got surprised because I needed to empty more than twice a day.

When hiking with the cup, I generally carry a bottle of water to the "restroom" for cleanup purposes. I like the ones with the pop-up top so that you can squeeze the water out and use it to rinse off the cup, hands, etc. and then follow that up with TP and hand sanitizer.

Wow, some of us have it bad! I feel for you

I feel fortunate I quess. I have had an IUD for the past almost 9 years, and while I have heavy periods at home (with bad cramps), put me on the trail and my period dies off fast, and cramps? Gone! Love it! Of course, my period always lines up to start 2 minutes on the trail every month.

As for cups and whatnots, once you get used to them, they are not bad. I don't use them, but I can see that for a couple month or more trip, they would be great. The only issues are to make sure you wash your hands before and after, to avoid bladder infections, etc. As for getting lost up there: not likely. The worst is that a person freaks out and their muscles clench up. The cups are working in the same principle as the old school diaphragms. Worst case is you just lay back and do some deep breathing till you relax, then go searching for it But do keep your nails on those fingers trimmed-so you don't tear your cup on accident
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Travel_Girl82
    To anyone considering this "non-stop pill" method, all of the doctors I have spoken to agree that with the studies that have been done, this approach is perfectly acceptable and safe. While I have not had the chance to do this on the trail yet, I have gone for several months cycle-free, several different times, and have not experienced any problems. It is for sure what I will be doing when I leave SOBO from Harpers Ferry in Sept. I look at it as one less thing to pack out. Besides, who wants to worry about cramping, bloating, and headaches when you don't have to?
    How can this be safe when it is known that the pill is dagerous?

Images

Default Update on using my Diva Cup

Well ladies, last time I posted, about 2 months ago, I was having problems w/it not automatically "popping open". I've figured it out and have to say I love love love this thing. I think I've managed to save $75.00 already by not having to purchase disposable items.

I can't recommend this thing enough, so for all of you thinking about trying it, go for it. Even if you decide it's not for you, you're only out $35.00. Just wanted to put in my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Pest
    How can this be safe when it is known that the pill is dagerous?
    I'm not sure what you mean... Like any medication, there are risks for some people - especially smokers, but I am not a smoker so I think the pill is right for me.

The pill I am on now is a low dosage pill, too. Very different from the stuff being made 40 years ago.

There is one practical concern, though. I don't know about most of you but I've had some experiences where I've been happy to see Aunt Flo, if you know what I mean. Supressing menstruation can sometimes make that a very gray area.

When peopel say The Pill is dangerous, I say look at the flip side: pregancy is dangerous also
    As long as you are not a smoker, over 40, heart disease, have high blood pressure or if your Dr says no, then you are for the most part ok with the Pill.

I cannot take it, due to my bad blood pressure. Then again, I am sure there are plenty of critics of my IUD, who would claim I will go infertile, have a ruptured uterus, get PID, etc, etc.....for me, getting pregant is MORE of a risk than any form of birth control I use.

As with any thing on the internet involving your health: talk to a good dr!!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Smile DivaCup

Quote Originally Posted by julie
    I recommend you check out the DivaCup: www.divacup.com.

I am a huge fan & will never go back to disposable products.
    I apologize for being ignorant, I've heard of these and dont some research into them but being on a hiking excursion how do you properly clean them? I am new to this sight and am looking for advice on many topics as I am planning to hike part of the AT after graduation in May. I plan on hiking from CT. through ME. so any info would be appreciated.

On my thru-hike, I used wet wipes to clean it whenever I emptied it, and washed it with hot water and soap whenever I hit a town. It's a good idea to boil it after your cycle is done for the month, then I stored it in a baggie, making sure it was dry and sealed well. The diva is definately the way to go, I don't know how I would have managed without it. Have fun in New England!!
    ~Tree-girl
    "You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you."

Thank you for all the wonderful posts about the diva. I am looking into buying one after using homemade pads for over a year. Yes I am a bit of a radical ha ha and was wondering what to do on the trail.

Anyway my question is that I am not sure which one to buy. I have not given birth but I am over 30 (38). Any ideas on how I should chose which one to buy?

thanks in advance
    Lindy

Images

Default Buy the larger size

Quote Originally Posted by lindy
    Thank you for all the wonderful posts about the diva. I am looking into buying one after using homemade pads for over a year. Yes I am a bit of a radical ha ha and was wondering what to do on the trail.

Anyway my question is that I am not sure which one to buy. I have not given birth but I am over 30 (38). Any ideas on how I should chose which one to buy?

thanks in advance
    Lindy
    Hi Lindy,

I'm 33, and I purchased the larger one. I've neve given birth either. Somewhere on the Diva Cup website, it states if you're over 30, to get the larger size, due to the natural spreading of the pelvic region that occurs in women over 30.

This thing is awesome and if you have any more questions, there's plenty of us gals here that will be happy to help. I'll never go back to disposable items.

sorry ,... ill get out..
    matthewski

Default Mirena IUD?

Been on BCP for years. Was thinking about switching - looked into Nuvaring, patch, and Seasonale.

Since I would be buying 6 months worth, my insurance wouldn't cover.

The patch was ~$50 for 3 weeks worth - too expensive. The Nuva ring was ~$42 for 3 weeks worth, which would be OK (the other thing is that is can't be out of refrigeration for more than 4 months before using, but since I'm doing a flip-flop I didn't think it would be problem.)

Generic Seasonale was $127 for 90 days. But there would be the taking the pill every day thing.

So after discussing the options with my gynecologist - she suggested the Mirena IUD because it's covered by my insurance, it lasts 5 years, you get your period for the first 2-3 months, and then your period stops. I emphasized my main priority was to NOT get my period. So I went for it. However, on the website, it says only 20% if women cease menstruating. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also - Diva cup question - is it good to use for "breakthru" or spotting? How long can you leave it in max?

I wish I thought of hoarding my BCP - smart idea.

Thanks for your help-

Has anyone tried depo for over a long trip? I am planning to thru the AT and was talking to my gynecologist about options. She suggested depo because of no periods...but I'm wondering the ease of finding a doctor who could administer depo along the trail. Any thoughts?

I've been on Seasonale for well over a year now, and I have no complaints. At first, I experienced very minor spotting during the time when I'd usually get my period, but it was so minor that I'd just wear a pantyliner for that day or two. My adjustment to Seasonale was fairly easy, as I've been taking oral contraceptives for almost 10 years now for health reasons. I often used to manipulate my period while on "regular" birth control, which made it easy for me to vacation, hike, etc., period-free.

When my current supply of Seasonale runs out, I will be switching to Seasonique, which is new from the makers of Seasonale. Instead of a week of placebos, Seasonique has a week of very low dosage estrogen which is supposed to reduce some of the side affects of going off the pill for that week. We shall see how well it works ...

For those of you looking to "hoard" a supply of pills in preparation for your thru, try asking your ob/gyn practitioner for a sample pack or two. When I started on Seasonale, I was given a free sample pack, and I put in my prescription right away, so at any given time, I always have an extra 3 months at the ready. Same thing happened when I switched to Seasonique -- so now I have 6 months of pills on hand, in addition to the current pack I am using (I am only one month in).

Another option might be to visit your local Planned Parenthood health center. When I was a PP patient, I was able to purchase up to 3 months of pills at a time, at a reduced rate contingent on my salary. You'd have to plan ahead though, because if you are a new PP patient, some health centers require that you come back after the first month for a health check up before they give you your remaining prescription. The good thing about PP is that you don't have to declare that you have health insurance and they won't do any sort of background check to find out (because many women turn to PP because of religious or moral conflicts that would prevent them from going to their regular physician). If you feel a little guilty about your omission, you can send in a donation to your local PP, since they are primarily privately funded in most states.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

I thru hiked in 2006 - had my "monthly visitor" 7 times. I used o.b. tampons because there is no applicator and they are easy to pack out. I took tinfoil and a ziploc bag to pack out. After the first one (Started the day I left springer) the rest were not really a big deal. I am not a fan of pills, drugs in my system, etc. bacause I still may have kids.

Ouch, all those drugs are so unnatural!

Wonder what ailments will be found out in the years to come from this stuff, and trying to "minimize" periods, they are a fact of life

Kind of like breast size - can you image having implants and having to carry that extra 'weight' for 2000+ miles! I would think that most fem hikers don't have them since they are so unnatural, and would get squished even more under pack straps.

Hiking IMHO puts a lot of stress on the body, and it adapts just fine. Many reports of women who actually have their periods naturally stop after a month or two, anybody have this experience?

To each their own!
    Last edited by Smile; 03-30-2007 at 13:02.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by judypudy View Post
    So after discussing the options with my gynecologist - she suggested the Mirena IUD because it's covered by my insurance, it lasts 5 years, you get your period for the first 2-3 months, and then your period stops. I emphasized my main priority was to NOT get my period. So I went for it. However, on the website, it says only 20% if women cease menstruating. Does anyone have experience with this?
    -
    For a lot of women, menstruation decreases without really going away. I know some people who menstruate less often and also, when they do menstruate, it's lighter--maybe spotting for 7 days, instead of truly menstruating for 4-5.

Sadly, the PMS symptoms don't go away (at least for some people).

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN THEY WON"T GO AWAY?????!!!!

Just kidding
    ad astra per aspera

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++