WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'll be hiking in the central region around Big Meadows end of March. I'll let you know. There can be a big difference in a couple weeks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

After mentally flip-flopping about a dozen times (PCT section vs. SNP vs. Heyduke section) in mid April, and somewhat due to the positive posts in this thread (thanks!), I did just book flights to Dulles (240 roundtrip direct!) and I'm coming out there to do 180 miles or so starting south of Waynesboro to Harpers, the logistics work out so well, hard to pass up. We "discovered" there are a bunch of state highpoints very close to SNP (MD, PA and WV, we're doing all 50 state highpoints, a dozen to go), so my wife and I are going to visit those, along with a touristy drive/visit of SNP, then she drops me south of Waynesboro, I hike to Harpers, catch a train back to Dulles, voila!

Maybe I'll run into one or two of you guys out there. Can't wait. It's been a long winter out here in CO, and winter here continues well into April/May, so I look forward to some real springtime in the east.

Images

Do you have a plan on where you want to start hiking south of the park ? Just a thought: The AT crosses a footbridge at the Tye River, 30 miles south on route 56 . A can't miss highlight since you'll be in that area is Crabtree Falls.
    If you continue on State Route 56 another 4 miles it takes you to Crabtree Falls ,one of the most scenic falls in Virginia. A roundtrip hike from the bottom to the top is roughly 3 miles and has observation decks to have pictures taken.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Do you have a plan on where you want to start hiking south of the park ? Just a thought: The AT crosses a footbridge at the Tye River, 30 miles south on route 56 . A can't miss highlight since you'll be in that area is Crabtree Falls.
    If you continue on State Route 56 another 4 miles it takes you to Crabtree Falls ,one of the most scenic falls in Virginia. A roundtrip hike from the bottom to the top is roughly 3 miles and has observation decks to have pictures taken.
    Very cool, thanks! I was actually planning on starting at the Tye river footbridge, about 30 trail miles south of Wayneboro. Is that hike to crabtree falls southeast or northwest of the AT crossing along 56?

Images

Gosh Rob, I want to say southeast .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    .... If you continue on State Route 56 another 4 miles it takes you to Crabtree Falls ,one of the most scenic falls in Virginia...
    Sorry, we were a bit distracted last night here in Denver...

Anyway, my question is: I assume you mean 4 miles past the AT trail cross along 56, but going in which direction? Towards WV? And thanks again for this tip, we will partake.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    When I lived in Virginia I used to go to SNP every year in April to see spring come to park. Mid April it will be full up spring at the base of the mountains and the trees will have leaves but at the top of the mountains spring will just be beginning to arrive and the trees will still be in buds or leaves just beginning to come out. You can sit at an overlook and see how far spring has progressed up the mountains by the gradual transition from trees with leaves to trees that are still bare as the elevation increases. It was interesting to watch the park wake up after a long winter nap.
    I like your description. Same thing on a different scale and frequency is watching the sunlight travel up or down a slope as it moves through the sky each day. While you break camp and maybe feel a little chilly, you look up at the sun hitting the ridgeline, and you know it's gonna be alright.

I started a SOBO section hike in Harpers Ferry beginning April 15, 2015 and ending in Glasgow, VA around May 3rd. I took Amtrak from Chicago to Harpers Ferry and returning I got a ride from Glasgow, VA to Lynchburg, VA then Amtrak from Lynchburg, VA via DC back to Chicago. Overall weather was cooler than I expected and leaves off the trees make a big difference compared to me 2014 section hike. Crowds weren't bad at all, didn't hit the bubble and there were a nice amount of people on the trail. I thought it was a great time of year to hike that area. For more details see trailjournals.com/weddingwalker and click on 2015. Have fun!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

If you are driving on VA56, past the AT crossing where NOBO is on your right and SOBO is on your left -- the base of Crabtree Falls (parking lot) is on the way to the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd call that westward, but maybe the compass says SW or NW depending on the curve you're on. It's mostly uphill from the AT on VA56.

If you wanted to hike to the top of the Falls from the AT, you can camp about 0.5 mi. west of the AT via Crabtree Farm Rd. From there, you can go to Crabtree Falls.

If this interests you, your easiest AT access would be to enter the AT about 20 miles south of there at the US60 crossing (Longs Wayside locally). This would take you over the very scenic Cold Mt. and Tar Jacket Ridge sections--some of it above treeline. There are also options to get on the AT at parking areas at Hog Camp Gap (between Cold Mt. and Tar Jacket Ridge) 14 miles south of Crabtree) and Salt Log Gap (11-12 miles south). It would be best to have a local shuttler take you to either of these two in a high profile vehicle (not that easy to find and some challenging roadway).

Images

thanks everyone! all booked, ready to go... now I just have to wait 2 months.... :-(

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    thanks everyone! all booked, ready to go... now I just have to wait 2 months.... :-(
    Cool! Maybe I'll run into you as I will be going sobo at that time. Have a great hike. Don't take the Mau Har trail off the AT to Maupin Field Shelter- It is shorter, but much harder as a good portion of it is a rock scramble beside the cascading creek. That said it is pretty, just difficult and not all that well marked (well 2 years ago most of the blazes were about wore off).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++