WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Upper Torso - Light weight Long sleeved synthetic shirt. Sleeves up if its not sunny, down if it comes out.

Lower Torso -Synthetic running shorts

Feet -La Sportiva wildcats with darn tough coolmax socks

Head -Baseball hat if there is little sun forecast, wide brimmed if I expect to get more sun during the trip

Hands - nothing but poles

Extra Credit: What clothing changes if wind picks up? Probably no change at 40 degrees, but if it is an especially cold humid fall type breeze a windshirt or raincoat (depending on which I have along based on the expected conditions of the entire trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Based on some recent threads, it is apparent that there is a wide range of cold tolerance and clothing needed while hiking. To understand this range a bit here is the scenario:

1) It will be 40 degrees all day.
    2) Cloudy and no rain.
    3) Light to no wind.
    4) Trail is relatively dry.

What are you wearing?

Upper Torso -

Lower Torso -

Feet -

Head -

Hands -

Extra Credit: What clothing changes if wind picks up?
    That was the temp for my morning walk (not in the woods and not with a pack) So here is what I was wearing

Upper Torso - Long sleeve, very thin, wicking layer and cotton tshirt

Lower Torso - light pants

Feet - cotton socks and Nike Free sneakers

Head - mountain hardwear (?) buff that I have owned for 15 years or more - used it to cover my ears until I warmed up (about 3 minutes)

Hands - gloves until I warmed up

If I was backpacking I would not have worn a cotton shirt just a short sleeve wicking layer over the long sleeve one until I warmed up or not at all

If wind I would have likely thrown on my rain jacket as a wind break. But it would have to be some good wind or I would have sweated.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Really good question as there can be warm 40 and cold 40 depending on conditions.

What are you wearing?

Upper Torso -

I will wear either a technical fabric long sleeve pull over shirt, or a merino wool LS shirt. If I get warm I will roll up the sleeves. I may bring along both shirts, as the merino will work better for me if its a cold 40, the tech fabric if its a warm 40. While I may bring a shirt change, I cannot recall the last time I made a change but the idea of a spare dry shirt at 40 degrees keeps it in the pack.

Lower Torso -

Convertible pants, no long underwear. Synthetic briefs (standard wear in all seasons).

Feet -

Single layer socks, typically Smartwool medium.

Head -

Bandana around the head as a rule. Sometimes I will have a fedora or ball cap handy (but not worn unless its chilly or during breaks), but always have a pea hat to keep warm.

Hands -

Half fingered paddle gloves to use with trekking poles (use these most all year until temps get below 30 degrees, then I go to glove liners and build up accordingly).

Extra Credit: What clothing changes if wind picks up?

I carry a rain/wind jacket with me always.

Images

i rarely know the temp., but i carry layers to adjust. if it is early i will tend to wear more and afternoon less even if temp remains same. last time i ate makes a difference also. if it was 10 degrees in morn and now its up to 40 i'm frolicking down the trail like a spring day
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Based on some recent threads, it is apparent that there is a wide range of cold tolerance and clothing needed while hiking. To understand this range a bit here is the scenario:

1) It will be 40 degrees all day.
    2) Cloudy and no rain.
    3) Light to no wind.
    4) Trail is relatively dry.

What are you wearing?
    Upper Torso - A base layer, typically a thin 150 weight Icebreaker merino zip-neck, and a Golite windshirt until I get warmed up, at which point the windshirt comes off

Lower Torso - Underarmor boxers, Railriders weatherpants

Feet - Darn Tough hiking socks over Fox River synthetic liners

Head - possumdown beanie until I warm up

Hands - thin merino gloves until I warm up

Extra Credit: What clothing changes if wind picks up? Windshirt, beanie, and gloves go back on as needed
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Torso- Long Sleeve Synthetic shirt (CoolMax branded)

Legs- Convertible pants

feet- Darn Tough Light Hikers and La Sportiva Ultra Raptors trail runners

head- Thin beanie or wicking hat

hands- Liner gloves or nothing

With wind: North Face DNP jacket, probably unzipped at least partially. Rain Jacket or Wind Shirt ready to go in outer pocket of pack.

First weekend in Jan I was hiking Amicalola to Neel Gap and the last day over Blood it was 35* and WINDY. I was wearing what I listed above and was a little cold at times.

Images

Any and all of the above, just depending on a multitude of factors -- including what and when I last ate. I think the key is being prepared to adjust to "expected" conditions. As conditions change, is the clothing (on my body, or in my pack) able to flex with the changing conditions (temperature, precipitation, etc). Just stoping for a 15 minute lunch break, I may be very warm when I stop, but get cold before I start walking again. So that requires an additional layer to keep my muscles warm and loose during that 15 minute break. A nice hill to get up is very different than flat or downhill (usually slower and less exertion) as far as my comfort level... All of that while trying to keep warm, but not saturate my clothes with perspiration -- which again means keeping a dry set of clothing for the end of the day.
    Biggie

Journal Entries
    Images

Upper Torso - North Face/Marmot Fleece (or Under Armour Cold Gear 1/4 zip thermal) with a moisture wicking t-shirt underneath

Lower Torso - Kuhl Liberator hiking pants (my legs rarely get cold)

Feet -Salomon X Ultra trail runners with Darn Tough or Smartwool socks

Head -A Buff or a lightweight fleece beanie

Hands -Mechanix wear gloves

What clothing changes if wind picks up? My Army issued cold/wind jacket or a uber-light synthetic jacket (ThermoBall, Nano Puff). Maybe my Marmot PreCip rain jacket.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Images

Upper torso- Under Armour SS shirt maybe throw a Columbia fleece on until I warm up.

Lower Torso- Running shorts

Feet-Merrell Boulder mids Wool Blend socks

Head- Wool Blend beanie

Hands-Nothing

Extra Credit- Throw the wind/rain shell that came with my fleece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++