WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Where to Winter

Images

The Rockies. Hiking is fun, but spending the winter skiing is even more fun.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Damascus, Erwin, Hot Springs, and Franklin were nice. Better yet if you have the aptitude, buy a hostel.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    Key West, Fla.
    Be careful bending over to put your PACK on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jumbojimbo View Post
    Key West, Fla.
    They do have the cleanest and the most friendly hobos of anywhere I've visited.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mammoth Lakes, CA
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    If you poll most long term NH hikers, they pick snow season hiking as their favorite time of the year. Sure you get to wait out some nasty days but the nice days sure make you forget quick. On clear day in winter 100 mile visibilities are quite common. The trails are remarkably well used but if you want solitude its easy to just take side trail. Off trail hiking is nice as the snow locks in the undergrowth so I can go spots I would never go during normal hiking season. Hiking is frequently easier, no rocks to speak of so most trails are a well packed sidewalk. Add a bit of fresh snow and they make good butt sledding and even better sledding. If you want entertainment, the greatest show in the northeast is free for those who walk up to Tuckermans Ravine and if the sun is out, the ravine gets downright balmy.
    +1 for winter hiking in the Whites! No bugs, no humidity, smooth trails, butt sliding, fewer crowds (thought you would be surprised how many people are out hiking in the winter), great bushwhacks that only work on frozen ground, better views . . . the list of advantages just goes on.

The focus tends to be on peak bagging, rather than section hiking. Lots of folks working on their 48 or Winter 48 (climbing all 48 4000+ footers in NH). One person is trying to do all 48 in just the month of January! Take a look at some of these reports and you will see how many people are having a blast out there in sub-freezing temps. http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    The Rockies. Hiking is fun, but spending the winter skiing is even more fun.
    I didn't realize we're talkig about parts of the country away from the AT... so yeah, out west, hands down! In any given week here in Colorado, November thru April, we can: Ski, Hike, Climb, Snowshoe, Ski again, Bike, Snow-bike (kinda fun), and yes, even get a round of golf in. All in brilliant, clear blue skies, at least most weeks. 300+ days of sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Mammoth Lakes, CA
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everywhere. In fact this is my plan! In 2017 I will be moving in my RV and traveling the country...working and playing so I can experience different landscapes, trails, climates, people. Once I've spent a year exploring one place I will move on to the next to ride or hike new trails.

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    Hanover, NH
    Great Answer! I was born and raised there...Can't wait to walk there from GA this summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++